New Old Stock - mss1tw

Anyone know what happens to dealer spare parts when they become uneconomical to keep?

In the motorbike world, places like David Silver buy up old stock and have a good business doing so, but as there are more parts to cars this might not be viable.

Had a notion of looking out for a 'new old' DW8 engine and having it fitted if it would be cost effective. They're hardly sought after. :-D

New Old Stock - oldroverboy.

Dealers don't stock anything other than service items now.

And many years ago I witnessed parts that had been ordered for 1 person and not actually needed being "needed" on another customers car....

(but I put a stop to it)

Edited by oldroverboy. on 21/09/2014 at 06:52

New Old Stock - Hamsafar

The dealers seem to sell them on ebay.
There are lots of odd parts or sale at a cheaper than list price and when you buy them, they come from dealers.

New Old Stock - Simon

At the current time Sandicliffe (a large Midlands motor dealer) is selling off loads of Quinton Hazell suspension parts on ebay, that fit makes/models that I don't think that they were ever even dealers for. The point is ebay seems to be the current outlet.

New Old Stock - mss1tw

Thanks everyone, very useful replys. Will keep a casual eye on eBay

New Old Stock - Ethan Edwards

We had some issues with the Nissan connect satnav on our Qashqai. Suffice to say many visits to the main dealer under warranty. We're now on our fourth Gps antennae. They've been sourcing the parts from other Qashqai s they have for sale on the forecourt. I was a bit surprised by that.

New Old Stock - Wackyracer

Some time ago I found an engine centre who had a brand new PSA TUD engine for sale, Can't remember who they were though :( but, It wasn't very expensive.

The only place I can remember who used to stock lots of NOS was Grimes in Coulsdon but, they closed years ago.

New Old Stock - daveyjp
Our i20 had no radio aerial. Salesman just went outside and took one off another one which was for sale. He said our original one was probably on a car sold earlier!
New Old Stock - SlidingPillar

A motorbike shop had gone out of the business of supplying DIY brake cable bits. When I went there wanting to buy some cable, they sold me the total remaining stock of inners and outers for £10. As I was in the middle of rebuilding a 1930 trike, I near bit their arm off!

New Old Stock - hillman

I used to buy parts for obsolete vehicles at Autojumbles. Are they still held ?

New Old Stock - mss1tw

I used to buy parts for obsolete vehicles at Autojumbles. Are they still held ?

Probably only for 'proper' classic cars rather than aging old chuggers :-D

New Old Stock - focussed

Anyone know what happens to dealer spare parts when they become uneconomical to keep?

I know what happens at an importer. When the computer jockey with the crisp white shirt and the filofax who was the UK parts manager decided that parts that have been in stock too long, the parts get thrown in a skip and scrapped.

New Old Stock - mss1tw

I know what happens at an importer. When the computer jockey with the crisp white shirt and the filofax who was the UK parts manager decided that parts that have been in stock too long, the parts get thrown in a skip and scrapped.

Sounds about right. You'd think a computer jockey would eBay the lot

New Old Stock - gordonbennet
Sounds about right. You'd think a computer jockey would eBay the lot.

But just as car makers hold back, keep in short supply, however you want to put it, stock new or used, the danger of allowing too much parts supply might 're-arrange' the market, can't have that, scrapping might be preferable.

Maybe endowing said whizz kid with longer term thinking than he might have actually had there..:-)

New Old Stock - galileo

For my sins, for some years I had to manage and track some millions of £ worth of inventory of parts for turbochargers, crankshaft dampers etc. There were targets for 'inventory turns per annum' which effectively meant there was always keen interest in the value of inventory, how fast it moved and whether we had the right stuff.

Obsolescence was a nightmare, 9 times out of 10 when we threw some 'obsolete' parts away, the following week some customer would order the damned things. We once actually retrieved some turbine housing castings from our scrap merchant shortly after sending them there.

Our policy was to hold spares for automotive applications for 10 years, but anything originally used for military or marine engines we kept spares for 20 years.

Financial changes may mean that no longer applies (been retired 10 years now)