Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel - Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Model year October 2009 - robinhood2

Twice this year (at 4 month interval) I have experieced loss of power. Once on the flats and once on a hill.

The RPM hovers around 2500 with slight engine vibration . If I switch the engine off and then back on it clears the problem. However today it kept repeating the problem and then suddenly cleared.

This engine is not fitted with a particulate filter. Mileage 56000

The first time it happened I used an additive to clean the engine.

Any thoughts. I was thinking maybe the fuel filter requires draining but it has taken 4 months for the fault to reappear so this would seem unlikely.

I have read reports of DPF sensor but the engine is not fitted with a particulate filter. Other comments have been the ERG valve whatever that is.

Many thanks for attention

Robin Grimmett

Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel - Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Model year October 2009 - pd

Are you sure there is no DPF? As far as I am aware all V50 diesels after 2005 have a DPF.

Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel - Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Model year October 2009 - 72 dudes

Are you sure there is no DPF? As far as I am aware all V50 diesels after 2005 have a DPF.

Not all from 2005, as my 2007 S40 does not have one. However, as far as I'm aware all 2009 models do have the DPF.

If you go onto volvoforums.org and give them your VIN, someone will be able to tell you for sure.

The fault you describe certainly sounds like dpf blockage or sensor problem. This engine also suffered from throttle body problems which require cleaning or replacing, but this normally manifests is rough running during warm-up, not limp mode, which is what you describe.

Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel - Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Model year October 2009 - jgrahampo

My 2.0V50 new in July 09 has no DPF or the need for adblu. More by luck than judgement though.

I asked Volvo Customer Service and was sent this reply. Should answer your question too.

Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in responding toyou. I can confirm that your vehicle does not have a particulate filter.

This information is gleaned from the chassis number YV1MW7541A252????.
75 is the engine variant and the following 4 shows that it is Euro 4
emissions which do not have the filter. I hope this is the information
you require, thank you for your contact with this office.
Yours sincerely

Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel - Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Model year October 2009 - brum

If the accelerator is "fly by wire" then it might be a faulty throttle pedal position sensor. This certainly happens to some VAG tdi engines. The sensor is a dual track potentiometer device, if there is temporary disagreement between the two tracks (wear or contamination) then the twenty something year old firmware programmer, thought it would be "fail safe" to stick the engine revs at some arbitary level on low power. Turning off resets the fault.

Its happened to me while overtaking on a hill, and thankfully someone noticed I was in trouble, and so avoid a certain head on collision.

I'm convinced that there have been many accidents, some fatal, caused by this sloppy firmware writing. As the fault is not logged, and is reset when the engine is turned off, accident investigators are oblivious to the possibility, and its another "driver error" accident.

Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel - Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel Model year October 2009 - S40 Man

If you have dpf there will Be a sensor to the left of the battery.it has 2 thin pipes that drop down towards the exhaust (to measure pressure). If car OK sometimes, unplug sensor and see if symptoms rrecur. If so indicates sensor fault, rather than blocked dpf. These bad boys are about a hundred notes, which is cheaper than new dpf. You can also try removing existing one and drying it out in a 40 oven overnight as they can get moisture inside from exhaust gasses. James