Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - grahamtabby

HI, i am a part time motor sole dealer and i sold a car to a woman who after two months sent me a letter saying she had been onto trading standards who told her she could reject the car i sold to her for a full refund...

on the grounds that the exhaust was leaking to a point where driving it made her ill and so "not fit for porpose". Her rejection letter said that she paid some one £100 to fix the exhaust but bacause there was a fault she wanted a refund (the car was a 16 year old clio sold for £450 with full MOT), her letter stated that she had already paid £100 to fix the exhaust so it must now be ok and fit for purpose so a full refund would not be expected but i offered £50 as a good will gesture, even though on trading standards web site it states you should take into account the age and wear and tear of a car (exhaust systems are considered wear and tear items)

She rejected my offer saying she would report me to trading standards...

I noticed a few weeks later an ad in one of the local rags for a clio that sounded very similar to the one i sold, it was up for £400. I called the number and it was the lady i had sold my one to and was told it had sold. I thought that woud be the end of the matter.

3 days later(today) i received a letter saying that the car will need £1000 spent on it to put right as amongst other things the engine was dead and is now deemed unrepairable, the mileage has been clocked and she wants £350 back. She had spoken to trading standards customer service who told her to take me to the small claims court.

I asked my wife called the advert again as a prospective buyer to see if the car had been returned due to these catastrophic faults but she was told "sorry the car has sold" she asked just out of interest how much did it go for... "£350".

She bought a car for £450, sold it for £350 and still wants £350 from me as compensation.

On trading standards web site it states that you should give the dealer the oppertunity to fix any faults at minimal cost, she did not with the exhaust.

It states if you reject a car on the grounds of not being fix for purpose you should stop using it. I photographed it had moved on 3 occasions.

There is no defined time limit in which to reject a car but having checked a few sites 2 to 4 weeks seems the acceptable time. NOT 2 MONTHS

It seems that she intends to profit from her purchase as well as having 2 months free motoring?

When she bought the car she stated that she hadn't driven for a while as she was restricted due to medication but she couldn't do without a car so decided to stop taking the meds so she could drive, obviously against her gp's instructions.

I am guessing not taking her meds made her ill and is seeking to get her money back plus a bit???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - pd
Keep your evidence properly and let her take you to court. You can then enjoy seeing her get a few years for perjury.

Really, it is a £450 Clio and as long as it was OK when sold you were being generous with the £50. We're basically talking just above scrap prices here.

I'd ignore her if I was you.
Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - Simon

If you are confident she no longer has the car, tell her to bring it back for you to have a look at it or for a refund and watch her squirm.

Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - RobJP

If you are confident she no longer has the car, tell her to bring it back for you to have a look at it or for a refund and watch her squirm.

Agreed. Offer a refund. Then watch her squirm. Make sure you make the offer in writing, by registered post though.

Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - Palcouk

Keep make/a copy of all converstations.

Keep a copy of the advert, include your converstaions when you enquired.

Let her take you to the small claims, present your evidence; or wite to her, recorded delivery, stateing that as she has now sold the car to a member of the public, if she elects to make a claim against you advise her that perjury is a criminal offence.

Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - Andrew-T

It's all bluster. She'll find out that the SCC is not worth the cost for a claim this size.

Renault Clio II - Sold a "not fit for purpose" 16 year old clio - grahamtabby

thanks for all your replies, you have put my mind at ease,

when my wife called it was after we downloaded a call recorder app to her phone so i have recorded her saying she sold the car for £350.

I decided to play along to see how big a hole she will dig herself. I asked for a copy of the engineers report detailing all the faults, a copy of the HPI check confirming the clocked mileage. and a convenient date/time for me to inspect the car to confirm these defects.

As she lives local i delivered the letter by hand but have copies of all correspondence.

Next letter will include copies of all my previous letters sent recorded delivery.

Thanks you all.