DVLA Medical Section - Ben 10
Following a successful interview and assessment day with a bus company, I sent off my PCV provisional application and medical form to the DVLA. My medical form was sent to the medical section on 23rd. July. I have contacted the DVLA twice in that time, and they say due to numbers, it will take time. They will write to me if there is any problem. As yet they have neither contacted me with a problem or contacted my GP. I have an LGV license and had no delay in getting my license with the medical part of the application. Is anyone else on here having delays with the medical section processing their forms? Is this lapsed time usual? I expected a process of 4-5 weeks at the most, but this is way beyond what they say is normal. I need to know whether there is a problem as I presume the bus company are anxious for me to start training. I need to know also so that I can look for alternative employment if need be. I have been unemployed for 3 months now.

DVLA Medical Section - gordonbennet

Hi Ben.

My licence renewal goes for referral to medical section every 5 years due to a childhood eye injury, last renewal it took ages to be processed, around 3 months or possibly more, so long in fact that my licence ran out.

I contacted them just before it did run out, panicking a bit, and they sent me a letter of authorisation to continue HGV driving until further notice, this was accepted by everyone i worked for during that time...whether a company would start training you on the strength of such a letter though, i don't know.

I'd ring them if i were you and let them know the quandry you are in, the several times i've had to phone the vocational licence section they have always been thoroughly decent to deal with.

DVLA Medical Section - skidpan

Dads licence was due to expire in March so the renewal was sent in January. Not heard anything in April so rang them, said not panic, legal to drive, very busy. Still not heard in July, rang again, said same thing but sent letter saying OK to drive. August letter arrives refering him for a driving assessment which he takes in October. Then he will have to wait for the outcome. Will be nearly a year since sending in the renewal if it takes very long.

But at least its all free.

DVLA Medical Section - colinh

Not often you can say this - but Spain has a good system for dealing with medicals and licennce renewals (all drivers have medicals - every 10 years for under 65 - 3-5 years over 65).

You go to medical centre (approved by transport ministry) - have medical - they take photo with webcam - give you temporary licence - fulltime licence posted to you

DVLA Medical Section - dan86

Guy at work is having trouble with a dela medical. He is waitng to start lgv training but for the past 4 months has been passed from puller to post by the dvla.

My exact experience of DVLA so far.

DVLA Medical Section - Wackyracer

I had a delay in getting my vocational licence renewed too, When I enquired they said they were making enquiries about the medical and I could continue to drive.

I eventually got a letter saying that everything was ok but, I should tell them if my condition gets worse. I have no idea what that condition might be though. As I'm as fit now as I was when I applied for the licence many moons ago.

Just received my provisional PCV entitlement this morning. Why on earth did it take this long. Ridiculous.
DVLA Medical Section - Andrew-T

Cutbacks I expect. Usual thing.