Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - Dingle232

I am getting organised and am just about to purchase some winter tyres. I've seen quite a few of both 'premium' and 'mid-range' offerings at varying prices but have seen a few mid range tyres (Uniroyal/Vredestein etc) where the date of manufacture of the tyre is 2011/12.

Is this an issue as they are significantly cheaper? I am also never quite sure whether 'premium' tyres are worth the premium price? I'd never buy budget or Chinese ditchfinders but the variance between mid-range and premium is oftem upwards of £30 per tyre.

What brands of winter tyre do others use/recommend? Thanks in advance.

Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - Avant

Tyres can wear out through age as well as mileage if you;re a low-mileage driver. If so you're shortening the useful life of your tyres if you buy them at up to 3 years old.

Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - gordonbennet

Depends how you're going to store them when not in use, in a dark garage then they'll last a lot longer than being piled up outside under the glare of a summer sun.

So long as the discount is worth it, i'd rather buy the ones you mention than some freshly minted ditchfinders for the same price.

Thanks. They will be stored in either shed or garage in tyre storage bags so am not worried about that. On balance I plan to go with newly manufactured ones as I'll be keeping them longer term.

Other issue is whether the likes of Continental and Goodyear are worth the premium over, say, Uniroyal or Vredestein. When you buy 4,the saving of the latter over the former is about £120. Are they worth the extra?

Vredestein tyres are widely recognised as good stuff, and always score highly in european winter tyre tests.

Uniroyal tyres are been excellent in wet weather, i have no doubt their winter specific offerings will be well up there too.

I've had Vred Wintracs, superb, daughters have both been on Vred all seasons, superb, i'd be happy with any of the makes mentioned at the right price.

Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - daveyjp
Vredestein are quality tyres. They don't get recognition as such as they don't feature on new cars which apparently is a decision made by the company.
Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - RT
Vredestein are quality tyres. They don't get recognition as such as they don't feature on new cars which apparently is a decision made by the company.

As winter sets in and demand for winter tyres soars, Vredestein prices will go up through the roof.

Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - Smileyman

Nokian have a good name for winter tyres .... see this web site for more information on the topic of tyres http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ - what ever you decide now is the time to act

Edited by Smileyman on 02/09/2014 at 00:40

Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - oldtoffee

We use Vredestein Wintracs on our cars and have used Nokian and Avon winters on others. Vredesteins are very good, noticeably better than anything else we've used and although not cheap are typically priced below the "premium" brands eg Michelin, Continental, Pirelli.

Edited by oldtoffee on 02/09/2014 at 09:26

On previous vehicles I have had Nokian and Goodyear and, purely subjectively, I would say that the Goodyear felt the better tyre. However they are massively more expensive and my personal opinion is that the premiums they attract are unjustifiable unles someone more in the know than I tells me I am wrong. It's the tyre equivalent of the 'Supermarket vs Branded fuel' debate I guess.

I would be prepared to pay it if I was convinced that they offerd me more in terms of safety than a Uniroyal for example - these are £20 - £25 per tyre cheaper than the respective 'premium' tyre.

Volvo V40 - Winter Tyres - date of manufacture - Brit_in_Germany

I would be wary of the reviews on tyreviews.co.uk - they seem to be written by those who have bought the tyres which in my mind will lead to people tending to justify their purchase, inflating the perceived quality. Also, on the whole they would not be in a position to make a comparison with other makes. If your German is up to it, try the ADAC site http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/default.aspx (or use the Google translator), the section under "Winter- und Ganzjahresreifen". This gives a comparison of different makes of particular tyre sizes and should be independent (although this year there has been something of a scandal with the organisation having been guilty of fixing certain awards).

Purely out of interest, seeing as we're talking tyres anyway, i ordered a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 summer tyres for the old Benz yesterday, the winter Nokians must be in line for their 5th or 6th shift this coming season, still got 5mm so maybe good for next year too, IMHO the Nokians are not as good as the Vreds were in cold wet or snow, but that was a different type of vehicle altogether.

The reason the Uniroyals have been ordered is that i conducted my own experiment last year, i've always avoided budget makes and seeing a set of Federal Formoza2 at a frankly ridiculously cheap price i decided to test my own prejudices just for the hell of it.

Last year, the first year, they were OK, amazingly quiet and gave a very smooth ride which they still do, in that respect they are very good and if used in the dry only a superb tyre, however now they are down to 5/6mm, i've had two serious oversteers last week in the wet, plus excessive wheelspin leading to tail out oversteer on a straight wet road, this slipperiness was never encountered once with the previous Toyo T1R's. Leaving work is a busy, slippery when wet slightly uphill pull out and in the wet is proving increasingly dicey/embarassing with them fitted, so my one man experiment has confirmed to me that i'll carry on with my prejudices (drift sceners would love them) and flog the Federals on as soon as the Uni's arrive.

Bought a set of Cooper WeatherMaster winters for the Outback just after we bought the thing in March/April, they haven't been used yet, this is a make i haven't tried before but were on offer at such a silly price i couldn't not buy them, the brand new winter set already fitted to the spare wheels were of Chinese extraction and will be sold on when the time is right.

Not suggesting my findings are in any way scientific, others with different cars skills and expectations might find very differently.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/09/2014 at 10:29