Austin (Rover) Mini Mayfair 1983 - Gear box/ clutch problem - Kath68

I've got a problem with getting the mini into gear. It moves through the gears OK when the engine is off, but won't engage 1-4 when it's on. Reverse will engage with the engine on, but even with the clutch fully depressed it lurches backwards.

It's been OK up to now and it doesn't look like anything's leaked - there's no puddle of any type of fluid underneath and the engine/ underneath the bonnet looks clean.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation!

Austin (Rover) Mini Mayfair 1983 - Gear box/ clutch problem - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like a clutch problem.If you can't get gears with engine running,then the clutch is not disengaging properly.Could be a hydraulic issue or the clutch itself.

Austin (Rover) Mini Mayfair 1983 - Gear box/ clutch problem - Doc

Try bleeding the circuit first, but if you have the Verto type clutch then this is non-adjustable. This means a new clutch is needed.

Austin (Rover) Mini Mayfair 1983 - Gear box/ clutch problem - bathtub tom

Engine mounts?

How long have you had the car? What happened (or was done) immediately prior to the problem?

Edited by bathtub tom on 30/08/2014 at 20:22

Engine mounts?

How long have you had the car? What happened (or was done) immediately prior to the problem?

Had it about a month. Prior to this problem, we'd probably driven about 100 miles or so without a problem. Reversed down the drive, parked up, then DH got in a couple of days later, had a problem getting it in 1st, but one it was in, drove about 10 miles no problem. I started it today, couldn't get anything apart from reverse. So, could be DH's fault...

What would I be looking for with the engine mounts?

Try bleeding the circuit first, but if you have the Verto type clutch then this is non-adjustable. This means a new clutch is needed.

How do I know if I've got a Verto type clutch??

Austin (Rover) Mini Mayfair 1983 - Gear box/ clutch problem - gordonbennet

If it drove OK before then my money is on a clutch fluid leak, probably at the slave cyl.

I'd get a handy chap to chuck some fluid in and bleed the clutch out (2 minutes), if the clutch then operates normally it's a fluid/seal problem.

A new clutch won't be expensive if needed, but you'll need a small boy with 2 pairs of extra long arms to get in to fit the thing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/08/2014 at 21:35

I'll try that, then first thing tomorrow I'll trawl the neighbourhood for the boy with 4 arms :)

How do I know if I've got a Verto type clutch??

tinyurl.com/lenxx97

Scroll down to see pictures.

As your car is a 1983, it will almost certainly be a verto type.

Clear as mud! I think I need to get a handy chap involved, as advised by gordonbennet!

Thanks all - I'll try bleeding the clutch to start with and let you know how I get on.

Don't clear off when this is sorted Kath68, you've got a sense of humour and we need a few more posters that haven't had the SoH by-pass.

Gordonbennet - I have a new old mini, so this clutch thing is likely to be only the first of many, many problems I'll be on here asking for advice about so I ain't clearing off anywhere!

I work in the NHS, so SoH vital :)

Have you sorted the problem yet?

Austin (Rover) Mini Mayfair 1983 - Gear box/ clutch problem - focussed

A company that will give freely of their time on the phone even if you don't buy anything from them, which you probably will eventually is:-

www.dsnclassics.co.uk/mini-parts-shop/

Great bunch of mini enthusiasts- tons of parts available, surprising considering the original mini has been out of production for yonks.

Dear all,

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a small child with 4 arms like Mr Tickle, so I eventually got a handy chap along who said it was the slave cylinder, ordered me a new one and fitted it. Now works like a dream, apart from the terrible brakes and a dodgy speedo - separate threads, methinks!

Cheers

Ha, you didn't need young Mr Tickle for the slave cyl.

Thanks for the update, glad the little motor's back to fine fettle.