Mercedes C220 CDI 2007 (W203) - Merc C220 Oil Pump Failure - PoorlyMerc

3 weeks ago my C220 was serviced, including oil change & oil filter. Nothing out of the ordinary was found at the time. 2 days ago the car broke down when being driven at low speed, with a screeching noise, severe loss of power and firm brake pedal. There were no warning lights and there was no increase in operating temperature. The car was recovered by low loader to the garage that did the service. They stripped the vacuum pump and found it had little or no oil in it. Suspecting an oil pump problem they checked the oil filter. This had evidence of oil passing through but there was no debris found. They briefly cranked with the oil filter housing removed and no oil came through. They suspect failure of the oil pump and/or the oil pump drive system and advise probable major damage to engine / turbo / vacuum pump but say that the only way to confirm extent of damage would be a complete strip-down & rebuild which would cost thousands. Alternatives are to replace the engine with new / reconditioned / engine from crashed car with non-engine damage; again at a cost of thousands. Are these really the only options? Do Mercedes really build & sell cars with no oil pressure sensors to alert the driver to oil pump failure?

Mercedes C220 CDI 2007 (W203) - Merc C220 Oil Pump Failure - Falkirk Bairn

It's a 7 year old car and things go wrong - but unfortunately for you it is big bucks.

This is a case where insurance @ £40/£50 per month would have been a good buy!

Both routes of repair or buying a replacement are both fraught with potential issues anda big drain on the bank account.

What's the mileage? I had issues with my C220 in the mid 90's, 1 x bill was quite a lot, 2nd bill was twice as much and the next thing to go was the car @ 93K.

Mercedes C220 CDI 2007 (W203) - Merc C220 Oil Pump Failure - PoorlyMerc

Mileage is 127k. Some might consider that a lot but my previous 3 cars (Audi / VW) all sailed past 175k with no major problems. Irony is we went for this particular make & model because of its reputation for eating high mileages...

Mercedes C220 CDI 2007 (W203) - Merc C220 Oil Pump Failure - RobJP

Mileage is 127k. Some might consider that a lot but my previous 3 cars (Audi / VW) all sailed past 175k with no major problems. Irony is we went for this particular make & model because of its reputation for eating high mileages...

From a 2 minute browse on HJs reviews section on here, you get to this page :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/c-clas...d

The only longer list of 'what's bad' points is probably on the last generation Passat. Not exactly a GOOD reputation, I'd say.

Unfortunately, these days, very few cars are built to do starship mileages, or last for decades. Those that do have generally been pampered, over-maintained (as in oil changes every 6-10k), or are just plain lucky.