Flat tyres - hillman

I found a pozidrive screw in the centre of the tread of my, flat, rear tyre on Monday morning. The rare times that I get punctures always seems to be in a holiday period. Lifting the car was relatively easy this time because the car was in a hollow in the driveway at home. (The effort required to lift the car when the scissor jack is fully compressed is dire). The worst thing was lifting the spare wheel into position and engaging the first bolt. My old Wolseley has a boss to rest the wheel on while I twizzle it round to find the studs, it is then easy to push it on and screw on the first wheel-nut. The Subaru is different, it has wheel-bolts and screwed holes and the wheel locator is just a very short shoulder, and once the wheel is on the shoulder it's almost impossible to turn it round until I find the hole to engage the first bolt. Then I've got to find another hole to screw in another bolt, all the while holding the wheel up. For curiousity I weighed the wheel, 17kg.

Shortly I will be in my 80th year. I hope that I can continue to change wheels.

Flat tyres - Bromptonaut

Well done you. I'm in my 55th year and wouls think twice about fighting with a wheel change although I probably would at home.

Effort for me is not jacking but undoing the wheel nuts. Can just about do it applying all my weight on a Tommy Bar but with weight in kilos similar to my age in years I can strugle.

Ought ot get The Lad (19) trained up in the job though.

Flat tyres - RT

I have a SUV which has long travel suspension - so the scissor jack has to be screwed all the way to get a wheel off the ground - but I discovered that if I use a wood block 3-4" inches thick it makes the job a lot easier, particularly when doing a diagonal rotation to keep the wear even (recommended on a 4wd).

Flat tyres - Manatee

Well done you. I'm in my 55th year and wouls think twice about fighting with a wheel change although I probably would at home.

Effort for me is not jacking but undoing the wheel nuts.

I think the handles they give you are probably designed to prevent dopes from over tightening the wheel fasteners. Hence not man enough to undo them when they have been on a while, or have been overtightened by tyre monkeys.

When I had the Land Rover there was no way I would ever be able to shift the wheel nuts with the standard handle (big studs and nuts). I bought a 2ft breaker bar. which just fitted in the underseat box

goo.gl/wTkDre

It now lives in the Outlander boot where it lies against the lower tailgate and takes no room up. Very little resists it, but you have to remember to grip it 9 inches from the business end if putting the wheel back on without a torque wrench!

Not as good but a lot better then the usual tool supplied is one of these -

goo.gl/5vEHq1

one of which lives which lives in her car, and with sockets. Often seen in WIlko/tool shops/supermarkets.

Flat tyres - gordonbennet

Yes holding some of the wheels up whilst you locate bolt holes can be hard, especially if unpracticed, doesn't help if its at the roadside and you have to keep an extra eye out for close passing twits.

The way to make it easy is to do as lorry tyre fitters do.

Only lift the vehicle just enough for the tyre coming off to clear the ground (if necessary rotate the wheel to judge height reqd if the tyre is squashed flat where it came to rest), waggle the wheel off.

Then waggle the spare tyre a bit at a time till its almost in place, whilst holding the top of the tyre so it doesn't fall on you, shove a long screwdriver or anything else suitable as a lever under the tyre and you'll find it easy to lift the wheel to engage it on its spigot.

If the hub is turning put the car in gear or jam something on the brake pedal, if the hub turns you can be chasing bolt holes.

With a bit of leaning against the wheel to hold it on and using that screwdriver/lever you can ease the wheel round on the hub till a bolt hole lines up, bingo.

Lorry fitters use a long lorry sized tyre lever for this levering up to fit purpose, so a decent screwdriver will suffice for most wheels backroomers are likely to change, i suggest a minimum of 18" flat bladed scewdriver length, if the wheel is corroded to the hub, that may well provide enough leverage to persuade the wheel off, and will make a more than ideal wheel lifting lever.

If possible its better to be seated cross legged on the ground facing the wheel you are trying to get on, crouching or kneeling down trying to balance yourself and do the above is bad enough when you're in the flush of youth...not as many of them would have the foggiest idea how to change a wheel anyway.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/08/2014 at 21:42

Flat tyres - bathtub tom

Mercedes used to include an aluminium rod with a threaded end that fitted in a bolt hole to aid wheel fitting: www.benzworld.org/forums/attachment.php?attachment...6

Could the OP cut the head off a suitable bolt or something similar?

Flat tyres - Smileyman

Well done you - and lucky you had a spare to fit! My dad is a couple of years older than you, in past years he would have changed a wheel without a second thought, however nowadays his knees don't permit such - but I have a low tread tyre reported on the MOT so will be swapping this with the spare tomorrow morning - using the manufacturer supplied scissor jack.

Flat tyres - hillman

When I was working in Rome three or four of us were walking to a Chinese restaurant for a meal - what else ? - when we came across a power dressed young woman balancing on a tyre wrench and bouncing up and down in a vain attempt to loosen the wheelnut. I acted like a gentleman and asked in sign language could I help. I always wear stout shoes so an application of boot solved the problem, as it did last week on my own car. . I'm sure that the tyre fitters don't need to put so much force on the nuts. When I came to put the spare on for her I saw that it had a swelling on the tyre wall. I fold her about this with throat cutting gestures, but she claimed not to understand. My boss, who was with me, snarled to put it on and at least get the young woman home. She thanked me by offering me a cigarette.

Flat tyres - gordonbennet

Was thinking about Bathtub Tom's post today, had to do a quick job to the family Aygo, wheelbolts and a thin spigot of no use for holding the wheel in place whilst lining up, fortunately really light wheels with sensible tyres.

As per Bathtub's mention about MB's fitment, it would be very easy for the sensible owner to take one of their wheelbolts into an engineers type stores and buy 6" of suitable threaded rod and by screwing that into a bolt hole about *half a dozen turns* would make a jolly useful locating tool to hang the wheel on whilst lining bolt holes up properly.

**would be easy to measure the exact length of a wheelbolt thread, then rough up the rod thread at the right point so it couldn't inadvertantly be screwed in too far and mess anything up inside the drum...a basic cheap pair of pliers, whilst never out the way, would be worth keeping in the kit for this purpose.

edit..Hillman, ever the gentleman, and as a true gentleman would, noted and appreciated how nicely dressed the young lady was, well done H..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/08/2014 at 20:51

Flat tyres - Chris M

We've had quite a few small Fiats over the years, all with steel wheels. They have two locating pins (also used to hold the discs/drums in place) which make fitting the wheel an easy task. You also only insert the bolt closest to the tyre valve to start with, tighten, then fit the wheel trim, before fitting the other three bolts. Wheel trims don't fall off Fiats. Other bits may!*

*Although not in my personal experience.

Flat tyres - Andrew-T

Shortly I will be in my 80th year. I hope that I can continue to change wheels.

I am in my 76th. I recognise the fiddly nature of your operation, but I am still able to carry it out on my own forecourt. However I try to ensure that if I had to repeat it at the roadside, I had slackened and retightened the bolts to a torque which I could cope with. If I have a wheel balanced or a puncture repaired I usually take loose wheels along to the fitters, instead of the whole car.