Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Arcana

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap - max. £3000 small family car after our Nissan Almera Tino got wrecked. I want a smaller car now.

I'm quite keen on a Honda Jazz / Civic or a Nissan Note, but not knowing much about cars I find the whole 2nd hand market a minefield to be honest.

We must have visited 5 dealers this week - including Car giant which is out of our budget, and spent countless hours on Ebay, Autotrader and various dealers sites. And not found anything suitable yet.

So I guess I'm looking at something 2005/2006 with around 100.000 on the meter. Problem is other than rust and dust I'm not sure what to look for.

For example we are quite keen on a 2008 Nissan note, that looks near immaculate - apart from the fact it has done 100.000 already.

The engine looks very similar to this, and has a lot of rust on that specific part on the left (which I don't know what is). Is that something I should worry about? Otherwise I'm quite tempted getting it.

www.northwestcarparts.co.uk/NISSAN-NOTE-VISIA-ENGI...9 - you can click to zoom.

Alternatively we are looking at a 2005-ish Jazz, but not sure what dealers we can trust :-(

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Cyd

Golden rule

There are no car dealers you can trust

Except Honest John of course.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - gordonbennet

This model, if not this particular car (i know nothing of it or the dealer), is one of the best hatchbacks ever made, my daughter is on her second of this model, if you keep up the maintenance these are as good a bet as any, chain cam too.

Ebay number 261527393355

Also consider a similarly higher spec Toyota Corolla, cam will be belt driven though more than likely.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - bazza

Corolla is chain cam for the record......at least the petrol ones are from 2002 ish on.

I think you're over-worrying and maybe looking in the wrong places. Your budget is a bit low for main dealer and if you think about it, anything you buy at a dealer is going to be priced around £1000 at least above its market value as the dealer has to offer a warranty and make a living etc.

I would look in the private ads for a Civic as above or Corolla or Jazz or Note, all likely to be privately owned and with a full service history. You must know somebody or a garage or even the AA who can do an inspection of the car with you. There are some good independants who sell good honest cars but it's hit and miss and getting to know them. The cars I've mentioned are all tough well built stuff with top reliability reputations. Avoid anything fancy, modified, super high mileage, tired ex fleet or what looks too much of a bargain. Luxury barges are cheap for a reason---they cost a fortune to fix when they break, so go for boring, mainstream, petrol, non turbo straightforward Japanese hatchback/estate with a good service history.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - gordonbennet

Corolla is chain cam for the record......at least the petrol ones are from 2002 ish on.

Thanks for correcting my wrong info there Bazza.

Thanks for all the advice.

Getting AA to inspect the car seems like a good option. I might just do that.
Then I can go for a cheaper privately owned car and still be safe knowing I won't break down on the motorway 15 min. after leaving the sellers house.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Andrew-T

Then I can go for a cheaper privately owned car and still be safe knowing I won't break down on the motorway 15 min. after leaving the sellers house.

This is an easy misconception. Private sellers are not much more likely to sell dodgy cars than traders. The plusses are that you save money, they should be able to tell you more about the car and give you a good test drive, and you can make your own judgment about their reliability from their surroundings and demeanour. The minus is that you get no warranty. A trader is likely to know nothing about a car's history beyond the V5 and may make it up; a private seller should have decent paperwork, which a trader may have 'lost'.

Once you are looking for a car under about £3K, the private market is as good a source as any.

My point was that with the AA inspection I'd be safe that the car was in good condition regardless of whether it's private or trader.

Does anyone one have any view on the rust part I linked in the first post?
If that's not a worry, I'd be keen on having that Note inspected.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - pd

I've had AA Inspectors round who have just said "give us £100 mate and I'll just tick all the boxes". At one time, a fair number were on the take!

Wow...that's quite concerning.

I just called them - it's a 3 days notice for vehicle inspection. I only have the rental car til end of next week, and it's gonna be a right pain to go to look at cars without a car and with 2 toddlers, so I'm getting a bit desperate.

The problem IMO with AA inspections is that they just farm them out to 3rd parties. They never get an actual AA engineer to do them which is a shame because they are usually pretty good.

An AA inspeciton will tell you that it isn't two cars welded together or if it is spewing oil out of the bottom but they're not great value in my view.

All 3 of the cars you mention are pretty good and unlikely to explode on purchase but any used car is a part worn device (hence they are cheaper than new) so be realistic and expect to have to do some maintenence, replace some consumable parts (tyres, brakes, servicing etc.) sooner or later.

I know I am biased as a dealer but I never find the "private sellers are better" remotely true. They are just as likely to stitch people up or, worse, not be aware their car is a deathtrap. Furthermore with the continous insurance requirements, lack of parking and explosion of car buying services the selection of private cars is poor as most simply can't be bothered to sell that way.

Buy something which looks cared for, has a decent service history and 12 months MOT. Take it for a decent drive (20 miles) before purchase and check you're happy with the way it drives. That's the most you can really do.

Most cars are, in fact, generally pretty decent.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Oli rag

The rusty part on the photo you were concerned about is part of an engine mounting. It doesn't look too bad and I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The note has a very good reputation.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - csgmart

The rusty part on the photo you were concerned about is part of an engine mounting. It doesn't look too bad and I wouldn't be too worried about it.

The note has a very good reputation.

You might also consider the Renault Modus (shares the same platform as the Note). We had one for 10 years and in all that time it ran faultlessly (apart from the pain in the backside to change front lightbulbs as you had to take the front 'bumper' off the car).

I'm sure many on here will tell you not to touch a Renault with a barge pole but my experience is very positive and I would willingly buy another one (not that they are made any more) if my cicrumstances meant I needed that type of car again.

I appreciate recommendations, but I don't really want to add to my list - although I'm slightly tempted by Ford Focus.

We went to 3 more dealers yesterday including a Honda dealer and tried an old 54 plate Jazz, but was put off by the lack off air con.

Missus seem rather keen on the peace of mind you get with a franshised dealer or perhaps Car giant. Unfortunately that means our budget is blown and our options rather limited. She's a bit worried about the 'two cars welded toghether' scenario, particularly with AA (3rd party) inspectors not being trustworthy.

We must have visited 10 dealers within a 40 miles radius by now. :(

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - FP

I really feel for you in all this, but it's partly the fact that you're in unfamiliar territory that's bugging you, I think. And there is no completely risk-free solution.

However, I think you have to deal with the situation that exists, not as you would like it to be. If you pay more money and can find a dealer with a good reputation, you get some come-back in the event of problems.

If you pay less money, you get virtually no come-back in the event of problems and you should be prepared to spend money on fixing at least a few things.

Your risks can be reduced by using someone qualified to inspect the vehicle, but as you have learned above, this is not without problems either. A mate who knows about cars might be a good bet, but it could also be a quick way to ruin a friendship.

Whether you can scrape a bit more money together than you initially thought is something only you can say, but if it's possible and it enables you to buy from a good dealer that is what I would do.

The best of luck!

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - daveyK_UK

Don't buy a Renault Modus, we had one for a year it was a total disaster.

Not only was it a 1 hour job to change the front light bulbs but it had constant electrical faults and the trim was badly put together.

The Note is better than the Modus is every department.

Well, I ended up getting a 2006 Note with only 40k on the meter. I had to spend £4000 which is more than I wanted but at least it was from a dealer that I believe is trustworthy - won awards in several car magazines.

I don't have any 'mechanic mates' and as the AA inspection seemed to be pointless, I thought it'd be best using a dealer with good credentials - although perhaps not the best price.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help. Much appreciated. :)

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Andrew-T

I'm sure (and I hope) your 'new' motor turns out well. Nissans are pretty well built and usually reliable. I don't much like their outer appearance, but that's irrelevant. Neither would I pay £4K for an 8-year-old fairly ordinary car, but as your experience of buying increases, neither will you perhaps.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - FP

My son and partner (with small child) have a Nissan Note and they absolutely love it. It does seem very practical, runs well and has been reliable.

Best of luck with your new purchase - I'm sure spending a little* more than you initially wanted was good for your peace of mind.

*Well... maybe more than a little.

Edited by FP on 27/08/2014 at 11:35

I guess I'm essentially paying a bit more for the peace of mind. It comes with 3 months warranty, will have MOT and service done right now, and it has a full service history.

I like getting a bargain - my internet history contains almost an embarrasing amount of visits to HotUKdeals - but in this case bargain was not the highest priority.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - alan1302

Seems a bit on the dear side - just looking on Autotrader there are plenty of newer ones with simialr milages/warranties from main dealers.

At the risk of repeating myself... I have looked through Autotrader about 30 times, visited 10-ish dealers within a 50 mile radius, including Car giant, and not knowing an awful lot about cars, it was very important that I found a dealer I could trust, cauase there's a lot of cowboys around who'll adjust the meter, weld two cars together etc. So I went for the safe and secure, as opposed to the cheap and risky option. Hopefully it's the right decision.

.... it was very important that I found a dealer I could trust, cause there's a lot of cowboys around who'll adjust the meter, weld two cars together etc. ...

Are there? Do you know this for a fact? There have always been plenty of wide boys in the used-car trade, but I don't think many will have a franchise for long. How do you find that you can trust a particular one, other than by making a purchase and then trying to bring a warranty to bear? The only way I know is word of mouth or bitter experience.

That being so, you may as well find the best bargain you can at a respectable-looking franchised dealer. One point which I used to find worthwhile was to buy a 'foreigner' from a franchise, e.g a Peugeot from a Nissan dealer. The car will be a decent one (or they would have moved it on), and they would rather fill the forecourt with their own brands.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - alan1302

At the risk of repeating myself... I have looked through Autotrader about 30 times, visited 10-ish dealers within a 50 mile radius, including Car giant, and not knowing an awful lot about cars, it was very important that I found a dealer I could trust, cauase there's a lot of cowboys around who'll adjust the meter, weld two cars together etc. So I went for the safe and secure, as opposed to the cheap and risky option. Hopefully it's the right decision.

People think there are lots of dealers out there like that but from my experience at least there aren’t. And I don’t believe generally car dealers or any other seller of anything else is trying to scam you when they sell you something.

Ok. Maybe there's isn't that many cowboys but I do think some hold higher standards than others when it comes to quality and safety. And I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Ok. Maybe there's isn't that many cowboys but I do think some hold higher standards than others when it comes to quality and safety. And I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Your main statement is quite true. We are only saying that (a) we are talking well-used cars here and (b) paying top price (as you said earlier) mainly buys you peace of mind; it doesn't guarantee a fault-free car. There are plenty of traders selling in the £3K to £8K bracket who are highly reputable, cheaper than a main dealer, and offering similar warranties.

Over the years I have bought something like 24 cars of that kind. Only 7 came from a franchised dealer; three were bought 'privately'.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - corax

cauase there's a lot of cowboys around who'll adjust the meter, weld two cars together etc.

On a slightly different subject, it is rare nowadays that I see a car that looks like it's been 'cut and shut'. That tell tale sign of being behind a car and seeing all the wheels at the same time and the strange way they 'crab' around corners. God knows what a car like that is like to drive.

Car dealers can only deal with the cars they can get hold of. If a manufacturer makes a pretty shoddy car it will be a shoddy car new or used.

If people looked after their cars better, the standard of used cars would be higher. Unfortunately it is going in the other direction.

If people looked after their cars better, the standard of used cars would be higher. Unfortunately it is going in the other direction.

Would you mind expanding on this proposition? Are you speaking as a trader?

Would you mind expanding on this proposition? Are you speaking as a trader?

I would say that as fewer and fewer people actually buy their car new and an ever increasing amount are effectively rented fewer "owners" have much interest in their car and the standard of 2-3 year old used cars is dropping.

I am in the trade and the state of some 6 months old expensive cars is quite shocking these days.

cauase there's a lot of cowboys around who'll adjust the meter, weld two cars together etc.

On a slightly different subject, it is rare nowadays that I see a car that looks like it's been 'cut and shut'. That tell tale sign of being behind a car and seeing all the wheels at the same time and the strange way they 'crab' around corners. God knows what a car like that is like to drive.

It must be quite difficult (and expensive) to cut-&-shut a car with a panoramic glass roof ....

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Dabooka

£4000? Blimey I'm figuring on half that for my '08 plays, albeit with many more miles.

Anyway I hope it works out, and I'd suggest getting yourself over to the Note owners forum (yes there is one!). Friendly bunch and will help you get aquatinted to the new motor and its many foibles.

Good luck!

Edited by Dabooka on 28/08/2014 at 23:36

This is the SVE model and looking on Autotrader with same amount of mileage I've seen prices from £2.700 to £5.000 so I don't think £4.000 is that crazy. Obviously somebody who knows about cars will probably get it cheaper, but as I've mentioned before, I don't. And as it was suggested that I couldn't rely on AA inspection anyway, I went for a slightly dearer dealer with a good reputation.

The funny thing is, I bet if I'd bought the 2008 model for £3.000 I mentioned in the opening post, somebody would have mentioned that it would be too much money for a car that has a 100.000 mileage.

Honda Jazz/Civic / Nissan Note - Need a car, but 2nd market scares me. - Dabooka

Sorry, what I meant was I may be grossly underestimating what I'd get for mine! Not looked at values at all yet, no point until nearer the time.

Sound advice about the forum though.

Best of luck.