audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - davidwoodson

Night and day difference. I own an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 2012 and do alot of motorway driving 30-40k miles per year. Now i had the re-tune done on the 11 aug 2014 and WOW that's all i can say my mpg has gone up as promised currently getting 5-8mpg MORE!!!! plus when overtaking its effortless the power is right there even towing my caravan is a pleasure as the added torque makes me forget I am even towing I would recommend this to anyone just wish i had found out about this 2 years ago as I would have saved around £1200 in fuel costs.

Edited by Avant on 21/08/2014 at 21:52

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - FP

Free advertising?

(Edit - not any more! I'm not convinced that this isn't such an attempt. But it's started a good discussion on the subject of engine tuning - so thanks to the OP for that.)

Edited by Avant on 22/08/2014 at 00:29

Hi FP I have used this site for a few years now but never found anything really worth sharing untill i had this engine tune done i am that impressed

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - skidpan

Engine tunes do not give more MPG, they simply make the computer lie and since most people never check the mpg before and after the correct way the are happy in their ignorance.

Think about it. On a motorway a car needs a certain amount of bhp to do 70 mph, lets say 30 bhp. To produce 30 bhp you need to mix a certain amount of air and fuel and then burn it. In a diesel the air supply is fixed so no adjustment there and no clever computer geek can make less fuel produce more power, if they could they would be winning Nobel prizes and saving the world instead of selling tin boxes on E-Bay that contain a flashing LED.

The best way to save money is not to spend it on these devices.

Sorry skidpan but you are totally wrong i KNOW for a fact i am getting more mpg i think you need to do some reserch .My friend is having range rover 3.0 sport tuned on sunday he gets around 27mpg now i will post back some time next week with the facts ohh and its not an ebay plug and play its a custom tune via the obd port

Edited by davidwoodson on 21/08/2014 at 19:35

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - RT

Any consumption figures using the onboard trip computer are invalid as evidence as they're affected by any "tuning".

"Brim-to-Brim" figures, many of them, are the only acceptable evidence - unless you're a big car manufacturer with a laboratory including a scientificly calibrated rolling road.

i was told my custom tune had been rolling road tested for 350 hours well anyway i feel like i am getting more and i can test it i will look where ive filled up on long drives and see what it costs when i fill up

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - skidpan

My friend is having range rover 3.0 sport tuned on sunday he gets around 27mpg now i will post back some time next week with the facts

I bet he simply takes thatfigure off the dash which is totally irrelevant. He needs to do several brim to brim fill ups before and after and use the car is as near as possible the same manner and then calculate the mpg.

A few days looking at the dash is no use whatsoever.

My dash reads normally about 48 mpg. If I go and fill it, drive at 50 mph on the M1 for several hundred miles I guess it would show 60+ mpg. Would that make the car more economical? It would if you are only concerned with that 1 trip. What most of us refer to is a long term trend.

At the end of the day no one who spend several hundred pounds on a remap that the seller says makes the car more economical is ever going to admit that it doesn't. Most won't but one did on the KIa Forum. Had a box for his Ceed, came with promises that the car would be faster, more economical, more frienly to faries etc. Came with a 60 day (if I remeber correctly) money back guarantee. All it did was put the engine light on on the dash, belch out black smke and tell him he was getting 8 mpg more. When he checked it after the first tank he was getting less and still had a light on the dash. Seller agreed to have the box back but when the person stopped posting he was still waiting.

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - galileo

Engine tunes do not give more MPG, they simply make the computer lie and since most people never check the mpg before and after the correct way the are happy in their ignorance.

Think about it. On a motorway a car needs a certain amount of bhp to do 70 mph, lets say 30 bhp. To produce 30 bhp you need to mix a certain amount of air and fuel and then burn it. In a diesel the air supply is fixed so no adjustment there and no clever computer geek can make less fuel produce more power, if they could they would be winning Nobel prizes and saving the world instead of selling tin boxes on E-Bay that contain a flashing LED.

The best way to save money is not to spend it on these devices.

Very clearly put, skidpan, absolutely agree with you. Good engineers and people with both scientific knowledge and ability to use it logically are, sadly, in a minority.

Snake oil salesmen are still making a living as a result.

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - gordonbennet

I think a custom tune to a knowledgeable drivers own style of driving could produce better power or economy, using any extra power only comes from one source, fuel burned.

You'd have to be very disciplined and use the perfect rev range but it is possible IMO to get more useable power and economy with a personalised tune, but i think the drivers behaviour would have to be studied and the mapping individually tailored to the driver, cost of that would be horrendous.

I used to drive a Cummins engined lorry that had been test fitted with a different set of uprated injectors and pump adjusted to suit, that did provide more power in the already very low rev torque band, and, with no thanks to my lead right foot was more economical than the similar others in the fleet (without the upgrade) as well as providing more power...which just goes to prove that when a proper engine maker does the upgrades, you can have your cake and eat it.

These engines were giving max torque from 1000rpm so the extra power was being always used in the torque band, seldom if ever driven above 1300 rpm, no replacement for displacement.

Perfect gearing to, making use of that torque, 70mph cruise @ 1100 rpm.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/08/2014 at 20:54

GB, interested to hear of your 'tweaked' Cummins unit, 14 litre I guess?

I worked at Holset for 36 years; when Cummins bought the company in 1972 they replaced their own design of turbos with ours with improvements in efficiency.

In recent years we developed a Variable Geometry turbo for truck engines, unlike the swing-vane units on cars, these are not so prone to sticking due to carbon build up and aim to improve drivability and fuel efficiency. If you have used vehicles with these, did you notice any difference?

GB, interested to hear of your 'tweaked' Cummins unit, 14 litre I guess?

I worked at Holset for 36 years; when Cummins bought the company in 1972 they replaced their own design of turbos with ours with improvements in efficiency.

In recent years we developed a Variable Geometry turbo for truck engines, unlike the swing-vane units on cars, these are not so prone to sticking due to carbon build up and aim to improve drivability and fuel efficiency. If you have used vehicles with these, did you notice any difference?

I haven't got a clue what turbos have been fitted to the lorries i've driven, you'd know more than me on that score, can only recall one turbo failure over a lifetime, i think, and can't recall if it failed on me or with another driver when i was on holiday, that was either a Scania or Volvo, whichever of the two not a patch on Cummins for industrial durability IMO.

Yes it was a 14 litre, 1984 build, rated officially as a big cam E320, but i suspect running around 350 with the upgrades, IIRC wasn't that running 90% of max torque from 800rpm, a proper drivers engine.

Turbo failures were unheard of, well with Brit built motors (unlike the foreign stuff) running Cummins and Rolls Royce engines...but vehicles were serviced properly then, no one had yet come up with Gucci oils designed to last for ever..:-) or rather 250k between turbo failures, whichever came first.

Unfortunately i haven't driven a Cummins since 1987, and probably unlikely to again, more's the pity.

I don't like the trend to smaller engines heavily blown, rather a big 14 litre jobbie like the good old C, blown gently, lasts forever and due in no small way to large cyl capacity has bags of low rev torque....which i what i was trying in vain to get across in the Kia Sorento lack of towing ability thread recently.

Can i ask you a question about modern turbos please Galileo?

I continue stubbornly to warm my lorry engine, and cool it down, before and after asking it to work hard, i know the hymn sheet of the day says i'm wrong and this is wasteful and no longer necessary, but my lorry engine condition/life (and turbo life) record to date, plus good fuel consumptions, tell me that looking after the vehicle the way we used to pays.

Am i right and is this still good basic practice in your opinion or am i wasting a thimbleful of fuel for no good reason?

The company i work for are refreshingly old fashioned and leave us alone to do our thing if it works, no box tickers here counting how many seconds the vehicle has been idling.

I did have a variable vane turbo on the 3 litre Hilux, that was a gem, power from very low revs, very sweet engine.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/08/2014 at 16:42

GB, Ithink it is still recommended to idle the engine for a minute or so on startup to ensure full oil pressure at the turbo bearings. Shutting down immediately after a full power run is again not the best idea, heat soakback from the turbine end could tend to cook oil. Some units have watercooled bearing housings which is beneficial.

For info, here is a link to details of VG turbos. www.myholsetturbo.com/vgt.html

These were initially launched on Iveco's with the Cursor engine some years ago, may now also be used by Volvo/Scania/MAN as well as Cummins, as these were all long-standing Holset turbo users.

For info, here is a link to details of VG turbos. www.myholsetturbo.com/vgt.html

Many thanks for that.

I've been in an MAN for the last 18 months, issued to me new but i'm not the only driver, others use it when i'm off shift and it gets used probably 3 nights a week as well.

It's going to be interesting as the vehicle ages to see if the turbo lasts the full 5 year lease period, one haulier on a lorry forum says the turbos on his MAN vehicles fail around 300k kms (but he freely admits he can't be bothered warming up/cooling down), mines now done 220k and its supposed to be on a 5 year lease, so we'll see if a bit of old school TLC works its magic.

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - corax

going to be interesting as the vehicle ages to see if the turbo lasts the full 5 year lease period, one haulier on a lorry forum says the turbos on his MAN vehicles fail around 300k kms (but he freely admits he can't be bothered warming up/cooling down), mines now done 220k and its supposed to be on a 5 year lease, so we'll see if a bit of old school TLC works its magic.

Well if the turbo goes pear shaped you can always blame the 'others', unless they're born and bred from the same school of expert driving prowess ;)

the same school of expert driving prowess ;)

bwahahaha.....a worn out old wind break more like..:-)

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - Avant

That sounds like a kick in the groyne...... :)

i challange you to have a re tune then say it its wrong i think you will be shocked

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - RT

No small tuning company has ever answered the question - how can they spend so little development time to produce such earth-shattering results when car manufacturers spend billions of £s/$s ?

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - corax

No small tuning company has ever answered the question - how can they spend so little development time to produce such earth-shattering results when car manufacturers spend billions of £s/$s ?

Manufacturers have to make sure that the whole d*****ine is durable enough to last during the warranty.

If you rechip, you just have to accept that some components will be more stressed and won't last as long e.g clutch. Some cars will be able to handle more stress than others.

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - alan1302

Manufacturers have to make sure that the whole d*****ine is durable enough to last during the warranty.

If you rechip, you just have to accept that some components will be more stressed and won't last as long e.g clutch. Some cars will be able to handle more stress than others.

I suppose it's the car version of overclocking your PC. You can run your computer faster but it's not guaranteed to last as long.

thats easy to answer they spend the millions so the tuners dont have to its much easyer to improve something than start from scrach all i will say if you have a deisel turbo get it re tuned come back in 6 months and tell everyone how happy u are look at it like this the nhs costs millions to run but at 16 pounds per broken light bulb are u shocked? but you could change a standard light bulb for pence

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - alan1302

i challange you to have a re tune then say it its wrong i think you will be shocked

I challenge you to prove your MPG figures.

If a cheap tune can save so much then why would the manufactuerer not do it in the first place? They get a better MPG figure than a rival and then they can sell more cars to people who want better economy.

If a cheap tune can save so much then why would the manufactuerer not do it in the first place? They get a better MPG figure than a rival and then they can sell more cars to people who want better economy.

Exactly. Manufacturers have engine test beds properly calibrated to measure torque, rpm, power output, fuel consumption, running temperatures at several locations. They run engines and vary configurations over hundreds of running hours. Manufacturers of injectors, turbos, pistons and other components also spend large amounts of time and cash to achieve optimum performance.

Anyone believing that a tweaked chip will give BOTH more power AND better fuel economy is deluding themselves.

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL -you wish! ) - Ethan Edwards

I had Superchips do a Toledo SE TDI 1.9 some years ago. Didn't improve the economy because most likely I was driving faster. +20bhp....nice

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL -you wish! ) - Hamsafar

Of course you can save fuel with a remap, just as you can use more with a different remap.
Of course there will be a compromise of some other conflicting parameter such as noise, emmissions, responsiveness or longevity/margin for safety of components. e.g. we usually retard the injection timing to reduce NOx and noise, but a remap can advance it to improve responsiveness and mpg. Remember diesels are not running stoichiometric.

Edited by Hamsafar on 22/08/2014 at 21:44

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL -you wish! ) - davidwoodson

wow someone not like the general public brain washed

audi a4 tdi - Engine Tuning (SAVE ON DIESEL) - mss1tw

Because they can't do that and meet emissions regs.

Ripping the EGR system out of my Berlingo gave me around 4mpg more, verified with FuelLog Pro and a slight but noticeable driveability improvement.

I imagine a 'remap' on a modern sophisticated engine (Not my old plodder) would have altered valued for loads of stuff not just how much fuel gets squirted in?

Edited by mss1tw on 22/08/2014 at 22:07