Young person as named driver on insurance policy - Pondlife

I've bought a small car that my daughter will use for practice and will use when she passes her test. I'm the registered keeper, and it's currently sitting on my drive.

I need to decide how to insure it. I think I can put myself down as the main driver with my daughter as named driver because I'll use the car more: she's at Uni, and will leave the car at home during term time. It's a small car, so I'll probably use it for most of my local driving.

The question is will the insurance company see this as fronting if she has an accident, and would my explanation carry any weight? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of definitions, or what evidence is required in the event of a claim. I want to keep the costs down, but also want to avoid any problems.

Does anyone have any tips, or any examples of how insurance companies react to a claim in these circumstances?

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - skidpan

You bought the car and at this point in time you are the registered keeper and its on your drive. Your daughter is at Uni thus presumably not living at the same address.

Cannot see a problem myself.

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - RT

In the event of an accident you may need to provide evidence that you are the main driver, on an annual basis - so keep records of when your daughter is away from home and the mileages at those dates.

Realise that when she passes her test, the premium is likely to go up not down - as she's no longer being supervised.

You bought the car and at this point in time you are the registered keeper and its on your drive. Your daughter is at Uni thus presumably not living at the same address.

She's not living at the same address in term time, but is living here during Holidays.

Cannot see a problem myself.

Perhaps I'm being over-cautious and a bit cynical, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - Dabooka

You shouldn't have any bother at all.

Exactly the same thing as my collegaue last year when her daughter went to Leeds, she called her insurance company and they had no problem with it. Now her daughter's left halls and is moving into her own place, she's taking the car with her and will become the main driver.

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - leaseman

Whatever action you take Pondlife, you need to do it quickly. Unless, of course the vehicle has been "SORNed"

If it is not subject to a SORN, then It sound like you are in breach of the Continuous Insurance Enforcement regulations that came into force in June 2011, and could result in a Fixed Penalty or a fine against the Registered Keeper.

Whatever action you take Pondlife, you need to do it quickly. Unless, of course the vehicle has been "SORNed"

Yes, I need to act soon. I added the car temporarily to my insurance policy when I bought it yesterday, which gave me 72 hours cover.

I'm now working out the best way to insure it permanently. I don't want to SORN it, as that kind of defeats the purpose of buying it!

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - Bromptonaut

If there's a claim and insurer make inquiries about main user then all circs will be explored. Fact that you have another car (the one with the new car as a temp additional) will give rise to additional questions.

You may actually find it's no more costly to insure with daughter as main driver and you as additional.

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - TedCrilly

Have you considered disscussing your concerns directly with the insurance co?......or am I thinking too hard?

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - alan1302

Have you considered disscussing your concerns directly with the insurance co?......or am I thinking too hard?

Thinking too hard - much too simple to ask an insurance companies advice. Very odd suggestion ;-)

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - Big John

I'm in a similar situation with my son . For the last year he has been a named driver on my wifes car. We have always kept a diary of when he uses the car to avoid being accused of fronting. This policy is due for renewal shortly after a year where he has gained a lot of valuable driving experience including trips with us all sharing the driving for University visits and holidays including through France.

As with your daughter my son will be at University next year and we have decided to renew without him being a named driver but add him temporarily during vacations. I was suprised as to how reasonable it was to keep him covered for three weeks between renewal and his start of term.

Young person as named driver on insurance policy - Andrew-T

There should be no difficulty with this, provided you declare the true state of affairs and stay within its terms. You can always add temporary cover for extra drivers to your policy, so what you have already done is not unusual. Another consideration may be that your daughter will accumulate no NCB until she has her own independent policy.