Saab 9-5 Aero - Fettling the front calipers - Mike H

I need to change the front brake pads on my car. Unusually for me, I can't track down in my records exactly when I fitted the last set, but I have in my mind that it doesn't seem so long ago. Part of the evidence for that is that there doesn't appear to be any ridge on the outside edge of the Brembo discs I fitted at the time.

I noticed a few weeks ago, when I removed the front wheel to change the oil, that the pads were well down, so I have a fresh pair waiting to be fitted (time and weather permitting). I was wondering whether they had worn more quickly because the pistons weren't backing off as much as they used to. This in turn got me wondering whether I should clean and perhaps lube them with a special grease. I don't want to do a full removal and strip down - with only one car, and being stuck in the middle of Austria, I can foresee something going wrong and being transportless!

So, the question is, can anyone recommend a grease, procedure etc. to make sure that they continue to give good service? Bear in mind that the mileage is now sitting around 213,500 and the only attention they've had in 10 years is pad changes. The easy option is of course to fit exchange calipers, but I'm really in "maintenance mode" on this car now - spending what's necessary to keep it in good safe running order without going OTT. And the MOT is due in a couple of months....

Lastly, I have to say that I don't feel there is an issue with the brakes, they seem to be functioning perfectly well from a driving perspective

Saab 9-5 Aero - Fettling the front calipers - skidpan

The pistons do not require greasing. Simply check they are able to move in and out freely and clean off any dust.

Clean the pad carriers so that the new pads can slide freely and before you fit the pads lubricate all metal to metal contact points with a good quality high temperature grease designed for the job. Normally I use Coppaslip but some on here will disagree. When I fitted new pads earlier this year there was a tube of lubricant in the box. Thought I had better use it and guess what it was, Coppaslip. Sometimes its necessary to coat the back of the pads with Coppaslip to prevent noise but it does not help keeping them free moving.

Thanks skidpan - see my reply to Cyd, I always do everything to keep things running smoothly.

Saab 9-5 Aero - Fettling the front calipers - Cyd

When you change the pads, simply retract the pistons all the way back intothe caliper. When doing so make sure the bleed nipple is open so you do not pump fluid backwards through the ABS.
It should not take any excessive effort to retract the pistons and they should move smoothly.

As Skid says, clean up the calipers especially the contact points for the new pads. I too use Copperslip.

Also dismantle the slide pins and use brake cleaner to remove old traces of lube. Re-lube with copperslip (it only needs a little). Assemble the carrier without pads and ensure it moves freely on its pins, then fit the pads.

If you have never done so, bleed fresh fluid through each corner (all four). If this is not something you are practiced at, it should only cost about £60 at an independant.

If you find you were experiencing uneven pad wear this could be down to a sticking piston, sticking guide pins, sticking pads (in the carrier) or even excess water/oxygen content in the fluid at one corner (makes the fluid too compressible absorbing some of the transmitted energy).

Thanks Cyd, yes, I always do absolutely everything you suggest without exception! The brake fluid gets a complete change every other MOT, and it's due this year.

Saab 9-5 Aero - Fettling the front calipers - Cyd

Just to add:

check the condition of the seals aroiund each piston and give them a thorough clean with brake cleaner but do not disturb them from their seats (I find a soft toothbush useful, but be gentle). Any signs of a split or dirt and/or water ingress to the piston then consider having them rebuilt (or simply go for an exchange set of recon units).

Just to add:

check the condition of the seals aroiund each piston and give them a thorough clean with brake cleaner but do not disturb them from their seats (I find a soft toothbush useful, but be gentle). Any signs of a split or dirt and/or water ingress to the piston then consider having them rebuilt (or simply go for an exchange set of recon units).

What you see the piston sliding into is only the dust seal, not terribly critical providing you keep your brakes regularly inspected. Its easy to replace, only held on with a clip. Not all calipers have them but those that don't need more frequent careful checks. The seal that is important is out of sight, no way to check that without removing the pistons, not recomended.

Thanks again, yes, I have rebuilt calipers in the past and am not intending to start again!

Will make a special note of that, shame the dust seals are only available as part of a complete rebuild kit. It's possible that one of them is aging and has let some water etc. in, so I'll check them carefully for signs of aging. Don't build anything to last these days, do they ;-)

Don't build anything to last these days, do they ;-)

Presume you are being sarcastic.

Your calipers have done over 200,000 miles, how long do you expect them to last. They have a hard life and we expect them to work perfectly each time we brake and for the most part they are a fit and forget component.

Don't build anything to last these days, do they ;-)

Presume you are being sarcastic.

Your calipers have done over 200,000 miles, how long do you expect them to last. They have a hard life and we expect them to work perfectly each time we brake and for the most part they are a fit and forget component.

The smiley was a bit of a giveaway! Yes skidpan, I was joking. I had to have a repair kit fitted to the front caliper of one of my Saabs at a much lower mileage some years ago. I actually think it's impressive that such simple rubber components CAN last, and give good service, for such a long time.