Small reliable car - CharlieG
I am looking to buy a small(ish) 5 door car - VW Polo size approx costing around £5-£6K but having read reviews (with some horror stories over faults) on various sites including this one, I am a bit confused as to which to go for. For short list I have VW Polo 1.4CL, Skoda Fabia 1.4, Ford Fiesta 1.25, Seat Ibiza 1.4. or Renault Clio 1.4. Would appreciate any comments/advice good or bad that could help me make a choice.
Small reliable car - bazza
Polo, Fabia, Ibiza- They're all the same basic car dressed in different clothes! VW reliability is not all it's cracked up to be despite paying a premium over the other 2 brands. Depreciation is probably lowest on the Polo, but youthful image etc best on the Seat. The fabia is highly recommended in all the surveys, customer service always seems to get a better review. The Ibiza and Fabia are better equipped for the money and you might find air-con on one of these at your budget. VW dealers reputed to be arrogant and expensive.
Fiesta 1.25 goes very very well, a gem of an engine and the drivers choice here. Probably the most under-rated here.
Clio OK but subject to usual Renault build niggles.
My choice? A Toyota Yaris, if you can find one at this price. Top of all the surveys but a bit short of boot space.
Hope this helps
Baz
Small reliable car - CharlieG
Thanks for your comments bazza, must agree about VW dealers, have spoken to a couple and when I tell them my max budget they seem to lose interest. I will try to check out a Fiesta over the weekend.
Small reliable car - Andrew-T
Charlie - if reliability is your criterion, you should go Japanese; but I note that your list doesn't include any, so I suppose you don't really like them. I don't either, but in the end it is a question of deciding whether you think a 96% gamble (on a non-Jap) is that much worse than a 99% one. Check carefully when you buy, and in my experience you won't be unlucky very often.
Small reliable car - Richard Turpin
Friend of mine just bought a new last year model Nissan micra from a main dealer for £5800 on the road includin various other freebies. Paid by credit card and drove away no less!
Small reliable car - bazza
Forgot about the Micra! The old shape will be sold off cheap now I expect - but the downside being higher depreciation than the new model. Also, what about an Almera? An excellent car that sells for peanuts second-hand because us status-obsessed Brits credit it with zero image!
Baz