Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - djd18

Engine oil going down 1 litre every 2 weeks. No leaking of oil. engine runs perfect. No smoke and emissions, perfect just passed MOT.Turbo has been removed and checked out all ok. Can someone help please

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - RobJP

First thing to remember : basically, diesel IS oil. It might not be exactly the same as engine oil, but it is oil.

As to your problem, I'd guess that the piston ring seals have worn, and oil is entering the combustion chambers, being burnt with the rest of the diesel, and then going out through the exhaust.

What can you do about it ? Nothing. Unless you want to spend more than the car is worth, then you just have to keep a good eye on the oil level. Don't overfill it (that WILL destroy the engine), don't let it get too low (the same), and just keep on running it.

One last point. You can probably start going onto a cheap oil. The oil is getting changed regularly due to the problem, so putting expensive oil in is (literally) burning money

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - Andrew-T

How many miles in every two weeks?

270 miles. thanks

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - Quicksilver

270 miles for 1 liter is alot of oil to burn.

How many miles has the engine done?

It sounds like it must be going straight to the exhaust via the turbo or valve seals or pistons.

What kind of oil do you use as this is quite excessive.

Q.

The engine has done 70,000 miles and runs really smooth. And as I said the mechanic stated the MOT emission readings were very very good.

The oil I top up with is Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A1, not cheap oil, and as suggested if the mechanic can not cure it I may have to find a cheaper oil to use.

Thanks

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - blindspot

are you sure you require A1

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - Andrew-T

270 miles. thanks

This is way over even the very high consumption level permitted in warranty terms found in many handbooks. If it were my car I would get it sorted, tho obviously a cheap option is just to keep topping up. But you are already stopping for oil more often than fuel.

Basically the engine is burning it or leaking it. You say it's not being burnt, so where's the leak? No signs in the engine compartment?

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - bathtub tom

270miles/litre?

If it's going down the exhaust, I'd suggest the OP needs their eyes testing if they can't see the blue cloud!

No blue clouds, even had people follow me.

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - madf

One day, the engine will decide to run by itself and there will be a big bang. And you will be much poorer.

If the cause of this is inside the engine, I would have expected it to develop gradually. If it didn't, there has been a failure of some kind. Has the turbo been reassembled properly? You are losing an eggcupful every couple of miles somewhere, which must leave traces.

This isn't the Mazda engine with the reputation involving pickup strainers, is it?

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - dieselnut

After reading many posts here I just assume any Mazda diesel with a DPF is a ticking timebomb. Does your engine have a DPF ?

If so it wil probably be converting the blue smoke into heat.

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - Quicksilver

I would try using cheaper 10W-40 oil. That way the oil cost is still in the "reasoanble" range.

Euro Car parts / Car Parts 4 less have a good offer on 10W-40 semi synthetic. It is around GBP13 for 5 liters including delivery.

I still suspect you must be loosing it via the turbo seals. Is the intercooler and pipes covered in oil or is this clear?

These Mazda engines seem to have a lot of issues.

Q.

Thanks for the advice about cheaper oil. The intercooler pipes are clean.

Yes it has a DPF.

The turbo is still off at this time as mechanic checking what has been suggested could be wrong from all the suggestions.

There are no oil leaks at all, the engine sounds good and runs good.Yes i agree with all of you it has to be going somewhere and as it was due for a MOT we thought this would show it up in the readings.

There was oil leakage about 7 months age which was coming from a injector seal so all injector seals were replaced which rectified the leak.

Not sure what you mean about pickup strainers but my engine has not had a problem with pick up strainers.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean about pickup strainers but my engine has not had a problem with pick up strainers.

Just search the forum for Mazda 3TS engine failures. Simply, the problem seems to be a too-small oil strainer in the sump which gradually blocks and starves the engine of oil, often at quite low mileages.

Thanks.

Just read all of it. I will mention it to my mechanic but I think the symptoms are different, different fault where the strainer is starving the engine with oil mine is the oil is going somewhere, loosing it.

Mazda 6 2005 2.0 Diesel - Engine oil going down 1 litre every two weeks - ED731PDH

Once had a brand new oil filter go almost from fitment. Badly assembled by manf, the can was relying on the exterior paint to maintain a seal between the can body and screw in section with the result that oil was being ejected under pressure and straight down to the road. It's possible during service the new filter may be either faulty or the sealing ring hasn't mated properly with the engine. Worth a look, try taping a bag over the filter, give it a run and check for any losses.

If the filter was leaking there would traces of oil everywhere and there would be tell tale signs of it underneath the engine when it was standing.

I still think it is being burnt.

Q.