Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - Ben Love

So, I was coming down the A47 today, having a bit of a race with a focus, noticed that the car wasn't pulling as normal and it was struggling to reach 100!

Anyway, I slowed down and noticed a incredibly loud tapping noise coming from the top of the engine, I had to call the AA and have the car recovered, bloke was helpless and rekoned low oil pressure.

Anyway, here is a video of the noise its making, go for the upset.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKKduDlZ1mU

Shortly after this got a really high pitched squeeling noise and the engine cut out,

Tried to restart it about 10 minutes later and it sounded like it started up but VERY rough and VERY noisey

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - elekie&a/c doctor

Have you checked the oil level.?Could be an injector has become loose or a blown injector seal or as previous comment low oil pressure and starving the top end of the engine of oil.

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - Peter.N.

That sounds nasty, its a mechanical noise rather than a diesel one, I would suspect something is broken.

Update - restarted the engine this morning and there is a really loud squeeling noise constantly coming from the engine, engine starts and runs but sounds like the auxiliary belt is slipping?

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - skidpan

So, I was coming down the A47 today, having a bit of a race with a focus, noticed that the car wasn't pulling as normal and it was struggling to reach 100!

Totally irresponsible. No sympathy.

Hope the engine is a total wreck and that you learn your lesson.

At least I was honest. No need to be a prick, had the car two days after having a motorbike for 6 months. Entitled to 10 minutes of fun. Don't try telling me you've never broke the speed limit..

At least I was honest. No need to be a prick, had the car two days after having a motorbike for 6 months. Entitled to 10 minutes of fun. Don't try telling me you've never broke the speed limit..

No need to get abusive, just shows the type of person you are.

We all speed, not a single driver in the UK who doesn't. But doing 30 mph over the limit and "racing" is not speeding its irresponsible and illegal. If caught you would get a hefty fine and probably a ban.

If you want to race get a licence and go racing on a track, legally.

And forget about trackdays, racing is not allowed on those.

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - madf

Have you checked the oil level?

And if not, why not?

And if yes, what was it?

Yes, checked the oil level. Was just above minimum but has been topped up as well.

Racing was the easiest way to describe it. Wouldn't even really call it racing. Was doing ~95 indicated so probably 90 and backed off. Yes because the car didn't feel right but reason irrelevant. Was a period for probably less than a mile.

So instead of

having a bit of a race with a focus, noticed that the car wasn't pulling as normal and it was struggling to reach 100!

its now

Wouldn't even really call it racing. Was doing ~95 indicated so probably 90 and backed off.

Just love it when people realise their original post was not that clever.

Edited by skidpan on 19/08/2014 at 17:02

It's in the garage now. They rekon the cam belt may have stretched far enough to throw the timing out and the pistons are tapping the valves. But hopefully no damage as the engine still runs and drives.

Never known a cam belt stretch far enough to let the valves hit pistons. Even when I was racing belt stretch after a season of caning an engine way more than it is possible to do on the road would only result in a couple of dgerees at most. All belts stretch a little but I would suggest for the valves to hit the pistons its actually jumped several teeth. That would probably be down to tensioner failure rather than belt stretch.

If valves have hit pistons they will more than likely be damaged. Looks like a big bill is on its way.

Having watched his video I have found this one that Ben Love uploaded earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3MOOOdcT0A

Think it shows the type of driver he is. Driving dangerously on a wet road at night overtaking on the wrong side of bollards.

Sorry but no sympathy. If justice were served he would be banned for such activities.

Please keep your opinion to yourself. Makes me wonder what side of the road you overtake on, it was merely a video to show my friend that he pulled out infront of me when I was indicatig.

Garage has only just started taking a look at it now, saying maybe piston slap??!!??

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - Avant

Methinks the OP should be driving a Saab (think of the town in Sweden where they're made).

I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously. I do hope not, as racing on a public road, however much 'fun', could endanger lives.

Edited by Avant on 19/08/2014 at 21:56

Cheers haha.

Garage saying they ran loads of tests, checked the cam belt. All good.

Only thing left is a injector leak off test or its piston slap.

Only thing is the noise stops as the engine is coming down the revs, surely if it was piston slap it would continue? Also, if an injector went down it would stop as it was coming down the revs as it wouldn't be injecting fuel surely?

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - thunderbird

Cheers haha.

If you clicked on the link you have more than car trouble, you have possibly downloaded a virus or similar to your computer.

Was saying cheers to the guy above. Didn't click the link haha

I don't think it was meant to be taken seriously.

Wake up.

Having watched the second video the OP gets up to 85 kmh on wet urban roads which appear to be well lit with lots of centre bollards, double yellow lines and parked cars. Normally those type of roads have a speed limit of 30 mph. 85 kmh is approx 53 mph.

Based on the fact that he originally boasted about "racing" and doing nearly 100mph the OP would appear to be a serial speeding offender and a danger to other road users.

If he has trashed his car perhaps he might start to get the message.

Or will we see him on Police Stop Idiot one night soon.

Shame we cannot read his full reg, if I could I would forward a link to the police.

The road in question is a 40mph limit at 1 am in the morning, clear visibility. Slightly damp roads. Nothing a bike or a ride with experience couldn't handle. It was a short burst of 50mph to overtake another vehicle. Calm down.

The road in question is a 40mph limit at 1 am in the morning, clear visibility. Slightly damp roads. Nothing a bike or a ride with experience couldn't handle. It was a short burst of 50mph to overtake another vehicle. Calm down.

A 40 limit is a 40 limit regardless of the time of day. When wet your braking distance increases so you should drive with extra care.

But you are obviously a driver who does not need to obey the rules the rest of us do.

Have a nice life, will probably be a short one if you keep dring like this. Hopefully you will be the only one affected, that is other than your family and friends who have to pick up the pieces and the taxpayer who has to pay for the emergency services.

Nothing a bike or a ride with experience couldn't handle.

Reading that I presume you were on a bike doing 53 mph + on wets roads in a 40 mph limit - but its OK because you have got experience.

Right on mate. Clearly you are a God.

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - alilou85

Did you find out what the noise was caused by?

Renault Megane - Megane 1.5 DCI 110 loud tapping noise with video - Peter.N.

Sounds like a big end to me, the screeching suggests an oil supply failure.