Ford Transit - Warranty advice wanted - holliesdad

Hi,
I purchased a van from a fleet hire company, a van that had been leased out but was now at the end of it's lease period, and became available for sale.
When I agreed to purchase it, I asked the salesman about a warranty, and he told me that a 12 month warranty was available at a cost of £200, but said "you won't need it.
I paid the deposit and arranged to collect the vehicle and pay the balance a few days later by which time it would be fully serviced and would have a full 12 months mot.
Before I did that however, I checked the advert on ebay (of which I have print outs), in that advert it states that " Unlike a normal dealer, we have serviced and maintained these vehicles throughout their time with us and believe that this provides a much better example of used vehicle with genuine mileage and history. All vehicles are supplied with a service and 12 months MOT plus a comprehensive warranty for 12 months".
Upon my return to the dealer, I pointed this out to the salesman, who seemed surprised,and said he would need to speak to his boss. I said fine and completed the sale.
I have not had the opportunity to visit the premises since and have received no contact from the company.
Apart from that written commitment,I am under the impression that any motor dealer is legally obliged to give a warranty of at least 30 days.
I purchased the vehicle on the 21st of July 2014, therefore that warranty is in force until the 20th August 2014.
Yesterday the 16th August upon my return from Scotland to the North East, the vehicle started making an horredous clanking and banging noise from the engine. Obviously I was not going to continue driving it,so called my breakdown company, who when they arrived, seemed to think it may be an injection problem or possibly the timing chain (although to be honest he seemed a bit vague).
I got him to trailer me home and will be visiting the selling garage tomorrow.
I would be grateful for any advice or comments from other members, as to my rights regarding the warranty.
Thanks
Pete

Ford Transit - Warranty advice wanted - RobJP

So, you completed the purchase without knowing the warranty situation ?

"He would need to speak to his boss" ... fine. Wait while he is doing so. Then you'd KNOW what the situation was, instead of guessing, or asking us all to guess.

Apart from that, we don't know the age of the van, the mileage on it (if it's 12 years old, and covered 300k, and cost you £500, then it's obviously a lot different to a van that's 3 years old with 60k on the clock, costing sever thousands).

Finally, lots of consumer laws apply to private consumers only. So your rights if you bought it as a business would be different to buying as a private individual.

All rather essential details ...

2007 Ford Transit, 147,000 miles....cost over £4000

This from their advertisement....................... All vehicles are supplied with a service and 12 months MOT plus a comprehensive warranty for 12 months".

Ford Transit - Warranty advice wanted - madf

When you bought it, did you buy from them on ebay? If yes, they are bound by their T&C on ebay.

If you bought direct from them,,, which it sounds like - you are bound by whatever contracvt you agreed.

You cannot quote ebay terms if you bought direct.

The terms I am quoting were on the dealers ebay advert, so were his terms and not ebay's.....on everyoneof his ads on ebay, it states that......All vehicles are supplied with a service and 12 months MOT plus a comprehensive warranty for 12 months.

You don't understand what i wrote.

Did you buy it from ebay? As you have not answered, i assume no.

On the basis you bought direct from the salesman, the T&C are NOT those advertised on ebay - they ONLY apply to purcheses made using ebay.

The T&C applying to your purchase are those you agreed withe the salesman. They must be in writing on your invoice.

They may be the same as those advertised on beay: they may not. It depends what you agreed.

It appears you agreed nothing.. unless it is in wring.

But as you don't answer whether you are a business user or a privte buyer, you legal position is unclear,

Ford Transit - Warranty advice wanted - RobJP

Both myself and Madf have posted questions to you, to try to find out the full, detailed situation, so as to better advise you.

However, you just keep coming back with what their advert/website says.

Might I suggest that you go and speak to the garage tomorrow, AND FIND OUT. Rather than borrowing trouble where none might actually exist.

Bump.

No reply. To salient questions.

Based on that... I suspect we may have not been told the entire story.

Apologies if I am incorrect ...

Ford Transit - Warranty advice wanted - Steveieb

Recently posted a question about the Transit Sport.

Has any one experience of this variant and its foibles