Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI - T Lucas
Just rented one of these 420 miles,topped it up twice and worked the MPG out to 41.7.Feels like a solid car,bit sluggish(no turbo)strange spec (Classic) no central locking,DIY windows and mirrors,inc pas and a/c.I dont know what kind of discounts are available but the list of 8K seems a bit dear.
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI - TrevorP
Only 41?

SWMBO gets 55 day in, day out from her Tdi.

65 on a long (mostly motorway) run.
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI - Dave_TD
My Octavia SDi drops below 50mpg if I spend more than 2 hours sitting around with the engine running, which is needed to keep me warm in this weather! Without standing by I can't get it below 52mpg from a tankful, unless I belt it absolutely flat out from one end of the country to the other and back again.
Did you do a lot of city driving in heavy traffic in the Fabia?
It does feel sluggish at first, yes, but it demands a different driving style. It has enough torque at idle for me never to have to touch the accelerator in traffic jams, even uphill!
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI - T Lucas
Most of my drive in the Fabia was motorway,but i was not 'trying' to save fuel,just drove it like any other car that i drive.Nice enough car,just seems pricey with a strange spec.If i had to,i would choose one over any Renault,Citroen,Fiat etc.I suppose the way to look at it is like buying a washing machine or fridge,don't get excited,its there to do a job.
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI - MikeC
I got 55mpg from a hired 1.9TDi Octavia on a 200 mile trip through A/B roads with 5 onboard plus luggage, wasn't driving in my usual 'economy' mode as I was with colleagues and were in a rush, that said however didn't do more than the speed limits but it did get a canning overtaking the odd lorry when I found a stretch of clear road long enough.
Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI - Dave_TD
strange spec (Classic) no central locking,DIY windows and mirrors, inc pas and a/c.

That sounds odd, I thought they all came with central locking?
PAS is standard across the range, so is ABS, but leccy windows and aircon are both options on the Classic.