Mistubishi Lancer, Auris, Mazda 3 Mk1, SX4 - £6,500 to spend - which car out of these four? - Brianthebubble

I have narrowed my choice to four cars. The Mistubishi Lancer 1.5 sportback - I have driven the saloon and found it good - but worried about negative reports of quality although there are many favourable reports. Suzuki SX4 - know HJ likes this -nearly bought one 2010 but was not too sure about the higher driving position. Also my local mechanic thought the photos of the engine showed too much pipe corrosion. More 'directly related' mechanics felt differently. The Auris I am going out tomorrow for a test drive - like the blue. The Mazda 3 MK1 is always in the background. Will go and see another Lancer on Monday 1.5 11 with about 25K.

I need to buy soon, and am going round in circles - any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Mistubishi Lancer, Auris, Mazda 3 Mk1, SX4 - £6,500 to spend - which car out of these four? - 72 dudes

From a subjective viewpoint, I would go for the Auris or Mazda 3.

The previous SX4 was not known for its comfort and the Lancer is from another era - very plain Jane interior. However, go for the test drives and decide which one suits you best. All 4 should prove to have above average reliability.

As usual, look for service history, old invoices and an immaculate interior should indicate how well a car has been looked after.

Mistubishi Lancer, Auris, Mazda 3 Mk1, SX4 - £6,500 to spend - which car out of these four? - Brianthebubble

72 dudes

Thanks for your reply. I have decided to go with the Toyota Auris - 2010 onwards if I can find one at a good price. I am going to have a test drive in one tomorrow at the local dealer. You are right about the comfort of the SX4. My daughter felt she was being tossed around a bit , when we did the test drive a couple of weeks ago - probably my driving.

What I like about the Auris is that it is higher up than most cars - but has the comfort and as you say should be reliable. You are certainly right about the immaculate interior. My local Toyota garage has a 2011 car reduced from £9,000+ to £7400. However, both front seats need to be replaced as they are in very poor condition and the back of interior of the hatch door has been very badly damaged. Even the salesman was flabergasted as to how people can treat their cars so badly.

Regards

Brian