Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 VTi Petrol - Cooling system problems - sumpnut

The temperature gauge inmy 2013 Multispace, whilst on a run, suddenly went off the top of the scale and a stop warning came on. I stopped and checked under the bonnet and nothing indicated overheating, the fans were running but nothing was too hot.

The car went in for a warranty repair and a temperature sensor was replaced. Now the car according to the temperature gauge and heater, is running 50-60 degrees on an open A road. It has all the signs that the thermostat is stuck open.

The car is booked in for another warranty visit to investigate this, but my question is, has the forum members had experience with this problem with the VTi petrol engine, or Citroen temperature sensors or themostats in general.

Cheers, Sumpnut.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 VTi Petrol - Cooling system problems - Cyd

Worldwide, the production of wax capsule thermostats must number in the 100s of millions a year. That there should be a few that fail and either stick open or closed should come as no surprise.

As it's probably the single cheapest component of the cooling system and if the signs indicate, then have it changed for good measure.

If the engine really is running at 60C all the time then I would expect you to be suffering poor ecomomy as the engine ECU will constantly think it's still within th ewarm up cycle. Your oil may also be in the danger zone for excessive sludging too.

Thanks Cyd(p) for your reply, I thought the sensor and the thermostat going bad at the same time, near enough, was a bit unusual and there may have been a common link.

I take your point about the fuel consumption, but according to the onboard computer no big change. The oil is new so should stand the abuse for a few days, but a good 'be aware' warning.

Many thanks Sumpnut

To bring this to a conclusion, the car went back to the main dealer and I was told a new temperature sensor, modified loom, software update, and new thermostat housing was fitted. The thermostat appears to be electrically operated.

Make of that what you will but the car is running fine now, having done 1k miles since repair.

Sumpnut

Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 VTi Petrol - Cooling system problems - elekie&a/c doctor

Same engine in Mini models.A modified plastic stat housing with sensors and wiring loom costs about £90.