Dodge Nitro 2.8crd diesel - None starter, Crankshaft sensor fault but tests ok - Woddy321
Hello guys,

After installing new clutch today, flywheel bolts and new sonic ring (for crank shaft sensor at the back of the flywheel) went to turn it over and it would not fire. We plugged the diagnostics in and it came back crank shaft position sensor - we took the sensor off and there was some oil over the 'magnetic' sensor part I'm not sure whether this would affect it? Sensor reads 175ohms when unplugged which I assume is correct? Also there is 4.8v coming from the main input wire (exactly the same as the camsensor as I tested that as well to see if there was any difference)

Vehicle came into to me as a none runner so unsure if this fault was there before, flywheel bolts had snapped so whether the sensor got knocked, however there is no visual damage to it?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: just retested and the resistance now shows 137ohms compared to the 175ohms measured 20minutes ago

Many thanks

Edited by Woddy321 on 05/08/2014 at 22:03

Dodge Nitro 2.8crd diesel - None starter, Crankshaft sensor fault but tests ok - elekie&a/c doctor

Do you have the ability to read actual values?What engine rpm speed do you have.?

Dodge Nitro 2.8crd diesel - None starter, Crankshaft sensor fault but tests ok - Woddy321
Do I have the ability to read values, meaning? Do you mean engine cranking speed!?
Dodge Nitro 2.8crd diesel - None starter, Crankshaft sensor fault but tests ok - The-Mechanic

Meaning, you need to have a diagnosis computer that will read the engine RPM whilst cranking the engine. You want to see around 250 rpm whilst cranking (depending on battery charge), if it's low on power, use a boost pack or jump leads as if the voltage drops, sometimes the diag computer will now pick up the live data stream.

Just testing the resistance of a sensor of this type shows nothing, it needs to be dynamically tested to get a true indication of it's state.

Hello again, Engine cranking over 250rpm so thats ok. I have fitted a new crank shaft sensor and it is still not firing. When ignition is on - all lights go out as normal however, I have the 'electronic throttle control light' & the 'contaminated/water in fuel light' that is staying on. Although Diag computer is not showing any codes for this? Also, there is not a puff of smoke out the exhaust or any smell, I'm guessing that means no fuel is being released into the cylinders?

Really at a loss with it now

Any advice would be really appreciated

Cheers

Edited by Woddy321 on 07/08/2014 at 15:21

Dodge Nitro 2.8crd diesel - None starter, Crankshaft sensor fault but tests ok - christian arancibia

Hello.... did you ever solve this problem... i have the same problem...

thank you