Citroen C1 VTR+ 5dr "11/ Vaxhall Corsa SXI 5dr "11 - Which Automatic Car - amiliabarbara

Am in a bit of a predicament, i have been fortunate enough to pass my driving test and save up enough money to buy a faily new car, theses are the two i have narrowed down my list two they both have there own unique features but which is the best option to go for? bear in mind that am under 25 and over 21, so insurance has a factor too place too. They are both in the automatic model as this is my prefered transmision. Any input will be greately appricated.

Thanks.

Citroen C1 VTR+ 5dr "11/ Vaxhall Corsa SXI 5dr "11 - Which Automatic Car - elekie&a/c doctor

Do you really need an auto?,because the C1,Aygo,and 107 are all the same cars with an electronic auto/manual shift.,so not a proper auto box.The Corsa does have a proper auto shifter,but has not been without problems,and it is a bigger engine.(1.4 I believe).A C1 in manual is ok,but my choice would be a Corsa 1.2 witha manual box.

Citroen C1 VTR+ 5dr "11/ Vaxhall Corsa SXI 5dr "11 - Which Automatic Car - amiliabarbara
I need a automatic car as I only have an auto DL.
Citroen C1 VTR+ 5dr "11/ Vaxhall Corsa SXI 5dr "11 - Which Automatic Car - Avant

Add the Hyundai i10 or i20 to your list: they have a 'proper' automatic gearbox.

Look carefully if you go for a Corsa: the last one I tried, as a courtesy car, had a truly appalling automated manual gearbox which jerked at every change of gear. I think it was a 2009 model. Later models may have an improved transmission, but beware.

Thank you, I will be forgoing the corsa then, haven't had positive remarks about the corsa.
Citroen C1 VTR+ 5dr "11/ Vaxhall Corsa SXI 5dr "11 - Which Automatic Car - gordonbennet

To add to Avants post, i too would be looking at Korean automatics primarily, in all (i think) cases the auto box will be a proper torque converter auto box.

There is a world of difference between a TC auto and the automated manual box as found in Aygo/C1/107, basically an automated manual is exactly that, its a manual box with the same clutch but operated by the vehicles brain for you as you increase throttle, on the open road you won't notice the difference too much but in heavy traffic and when parking especially the differences will be huge.

Proper traditional autos by having hydraulic drive via the torque converter cushion drive take up and are infinitely variable when taking up drive, automated manuals and some others tend to be like on/off switches to protect the clutch linings...sorry trying to put this as simply as possible but there is so much you should read up on to avoid going down the wrong road.

There are other auto types available (CVT, Twin Clutch etc) but there is much to read about and learn, and as models change so often have the types of gearbox used, thats why i recommend you choose Korean, Hyundai, Kia, Chevrolet (or Japanese Suzuki) models as you will invariably be getting the right box for easy reliable driving.

Another thing about the automated manuals is that they are not particularly reliable, and can cost a fortune to fix when they do go wrong...proper autos are not cheap to fix either, but if you get them serviced once in a while (basically an oil change every 40k miles or so) they usually last the life of the car...whereas in many cases other new designs of auto box when they fail have caused cars to be prematurely scrapped the cost to fix has been so high.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/08/2014 at 11:19