2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - dac1

Hi all,

I have a 2006 (06) Ford Focus 1.6 which has only done 42k. I'm the second owner, the first was female, and we both have driven the car very sensibly. I've owned the car for a couple of years now.

I have not experienced any problems with the clutch at all to date. Tonight, I was driving back from work and all was completely fine, then 10 miles into my journey I was on an A-road doing 50mph, and changed from 4th to 5th gear (or 5th to 4th) when that gear change felt troubled and difficult, I just put it down to a bad gear change but from that very point onwards every single gear change had to be felt for and be REALLY forced into gear. I turned the car off for a while, thinking that may help, but it made no difference. Driving the rest of the way home the gears just wouldn't go in without extreme force.

The strange thing is, when my car is switched off then all gears are found with complete ease, but when the car is switched on, whether there are revs or not, it won't go into gear.

Again, there has been no indication that anything was wrong with the car/clutch. It is also regularly serviced.

Does anyone know what has happened to the clutch? Has anyone known of this happening before. One second it's fine the next it's not. It's only done 42k mileage.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dac1 on 31/07/2014 at 21:04

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - Micky-BO

Much more than likely the clutch master cylinder at the clutch pedal

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging properly.Check the fluid level reservoir under the bonnet and also for any evidence of a fluid leak under gearbox area.I would favour a leaking clutch slave cylinder.(concentric unit inside gearbox)

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - dac1

Thanks for your replies. The mechanic feels the clutch has gone. I'm still alittle shocked that the clutch has gone after only 42k miles of careful driving.

I have researched online and purchased a 3-piece clutch kit that includes the slave cylinder. I have also sourced a mechanic for the labour. There is one last thing that I am to purchase and thats the clutch fluid.

Can someone please a) confirm it is acutally clutch fluid that I require (and not a different type of fluid/oil)? b) suggest a good quality clutch fluid that will look after the new clutch I'm having installed?

I hope this all fixes the problem as I will have a large dent in my pocket if it doesn't.

Thank you.

Edited by dac1 on 01/08/2014 at 21:55

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - elekie&a/c doctor
The clutch fluid is the same as the brake fluid. I think you will find they share the same reservoir.I am surprised it has failed this early .My friend has just had his Focus clutch replaced at 160k miles.Infact it was not worn out,the slave cylinder was leaking.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 01/08/2014 at 22:11

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - tdc

The fluid wont look after your clutch per se,it is only there to convey hydraulic action to the thrust bearing enabling it to mechanically work the clutch components to dissengage drive between your engine and gearbox to enable selection of gears.Being able to select gears whilst engine isn`t running is normal for this old style manual set-up(non flappy-paddle/electronic.)

Have you a handbook for your car,if so then the oil type is in there.I was looking at a mate`s handbook the other day for his `09 1.6 diesel estate Focus and seem to remember it was the normal Dot 4 clutch and brake fluid.Any make will do,it`s less hygroscopic than the old Dot 3 but still corrosive to external components.You`re not a racer so don`t require Dot 5 :)

The mates previous `04 1.8 diesel estate Focus did 120,000 miles before the clutch started slipping,so would be surprised if there`s anything wrong with your clutch assy.Yours isn`t getting the chance to slip(normal state of affairs every time you press your pedal to the floor to change gear)A duff seal in the hydraulic line ls more likely....

www.ehow.co.uk/how_4484775_adjust-clutch-ford-focu...l

Thank you for your replies.

Can I ask your advice on what to do...
I have explained the problem that occurred and what a mechanic initially thought (clutch gone) on a two minute diagnosis. Based on this and reading the posts it could be the slave cylinder (and some say Master cylinder) I have purchased a LUK 3-piece clutch kit (which includes the slave cylinder) for £130. I have hired a mobile mechanic will be doing the job in a few days for £150 labour.

As all this is costing money, do you feel I should buy clutch/brake fluid and top up my reservoir first to see if this works?
If this doesn't work should I ask he mechanic to investigate or just to continue with installing the 3-piece clutch kit?
Am I right in thinking that even if it is just the slave cylinder that needs replacing I should have the clutch replaced at the same time too?
Would the slave cylinder labour charges be the same (or close) to the charges to replace the clutch too (as I'm thinking while the mechanc is there he should do both if its the same labour costs)?

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to know the best approach to this issue so I don't have further problems down the line and have further labour costs.

One last thing, the reservoir the mechanic looked at (which is the size of a packet of fags) was half full (not under the min level) so that tells me there is lots of fluid in the system if it hasn't emptied the resevoir - am I correct in thinking this.

Thank you.

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - oldroverboy.

I would have suggested letting whoever fits the bits to supply them, as that way they are liable for any warranty costs for labour.

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - Andrew-T

As all this is costing money, do you feel I should buy clutch/brake fluid and top up my reservoir first to see if this works?

As it costs nothing to check the fluid level, and little more to buy some, I would do that first.

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - Railroad.
I would say most likely the clutch slave cylinder has been leaking, and it's now got to the point where air has been drawn into the system and so the clutch cannot be operated. The slave cylinder is concentric and is located behind the clutch release bearing inside the bell housing. The gearbox needs to be removed to replace it and so you'd be well advised to replace the clutch assembly at the same time.
2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - pd

If the clutch and brakes share the same resevoir then the clutch part usually fills as an "overflow" from the brake part. This is so that, if the clutch leaks, you don't lose your brakes as well. This means it can often look full but as you top it up the level doesn't change until the clutch section has filled up.

The other comments are correct - for the price of a clutch kit for a Focus do the clutch & slave (Labour will be the same) and get the mechanic to check the master cylinder for leaks as well.

Again, thanks all for your replies.

I'm glad you advise to get the Slave Cylinder and the Clutch replaced at the same time, as it's the same effort (labour) to do both.

I bought 500ml of DOT4 clutch/brake fluid in an attempt to rule out low fluid as the problem, but I cannot get to the reservoir as it has parts in the way. However, viewing it again I can see the fluid is level with the Max level so I guess it isn't low.

I tried driving it yesterday to see if, by chance, all was fine again but the problem still remained, although this time when I changed gear (from third to fourth) at 30mph and gave it a healthy rev the revs went high but there was no traction (i.e. forward motion) which tells me the clutch is slipping (sounded like it anyway).

Here's another question, I have had a clutch go on an old ('92) Fiesta (years ago) and that clutch deteriorated over the course of a year where the slipping clutch got worse and worse but I was always able to select gear. So why does a 2006 Focus clutch behaves all fine one moment then just goes kerput, no gradual decline?

Although clutches on both cars work with the same principle,the method of operation is different.The focus is hydraulic operation,so if fluid leaks anywhere,there is a loss of operation to the clutch release mechanism, resulting in difficult gear selection.On your old fiesta,the clutch is operated by a cable,so if the cable is good then there is full operation of the system.If the cable snaps,then there is no clutch action.( I have tried to keep the explanation as simple as poss).

2006 - Ford Focus 1.6l - Petrol - Clutch has just gone mid-journey - what happened?? - Andrew-T

I know zilch about Ford clutch mechanisms, but if the slave cylinder is inside the clutch housing (as has been said) and it leaks, does fluid get onto the clutch plate and cause slip?

(duplicate)

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/08/2014 at 00:34