car leasing. pro's and con's? - concrete

Hello All,

My daughter is about to change her job, which will involve a sort of shift pattern. Her present car is a company car that she will return, the new job does not include a car but pays mileage. She is looking for a small car that is reliable due to driving to and from work at unsociable hours. She is considering leasing/personal contract. Instinctively I am against this and favour the purchase of good nearly new car. However I don't really know enough about leasing to argue the case, except I always thought that buying was the best option, certainly from a financial point of view. Does any forum member have experience of leasing etc and can pass on some useful comments?

Thank you.

Concrete

car leasing. pro's and con's? - retgwte

The biggest risk with a lease revolves around how tolerant the lease company will be of any minor scratches or dings your car picks up.

I have found it can vary wildly and some lease companies will tolerate a very scruffy tatty car, and others will try to charge for the most minor of stone chips.

If it's your car and you are doing a part ex you can always go elsewhere if the valuation they give is not to your liking. With a lease car you are handing it back to one place, and you are completely in their hands regarding how they view any minor chips etc.

Businesses with a lot of lease cars put a lot of effort into negotiating any damage issues with returned cars, an individual is unlikely to have the clout or negotiating ability.

The other big risk is the miles. Leases can be very cost effective if you can absolutely predict how many miles you will do over the course of the lease. However if your mileage changes for any reason, perhaps you need to go to another office regularly, or if you end up not using the car for periods, then you will end up over paying for the number of miles you have used.

car leasing. pro's and con's? - craig-pd130

Personal contract hire / lease companies usually work to these standards, in this 'fair wear & tear' guide:

bit.ly/1pHl5JE

As you can see, the car needs to be returned to them in VERY good condition.

car leasing. pro's and con's? - davecooper
Remember that you do not have to take the car back to the dealer when the lease is over. All you have to do is pay the finance company the remaining balance, which will be the guaranteed future value of the car. You could do this by selling it privately or just keep the car and pay the balance yourself. If you are going to change to a different make of car after the lease period, it is possible that the new dealer will settle the lease for you.

I am on my third car on a PCP now, all with the same manufacturer. When I changed from the first to the second, the car was on mileage and in good condition and I was given an extremely good trade in value against the next car. When I changed the next time, the car had been keyed on three panels (£1000 to put right) and was way over mileage. I was still given well over the GFV at trade in time. I am very happy with this method of ownership, however, I am sure there are many who have not been quite so satisfied.
car leasing. pro's and con's? - Manatee
Remember that you do not have to take the car back to the dealer when the lease is over.

Yes you do. You are confusing leasing with PCP

car leasing. pro's and con's? - retgwte

Most (not all) lease companies offer to sell the driver the car towards the end of the lease. However the price they offer to sell it for is not always such a good deal. If it is a good deal you can part ex it and buy it on the same day, and hopefully the place you part ex it values it more than the lease company. However if you have a low depreciating car with high values towards the end of lease the lease company will want to benefit from this.

car leasing. pro's and con's? - davecooper

The OP said lease/personal contract. Perhaps I should have said when the PCP is over

car leasing. pro's and con's? - Manatee

The OP said lease/personal contract. Perhaps I should have said when the PCP is over

Yes, often used interchangeably - didn't mean to be abrupt, was in a hurry, sorry.

A similar question came up recently on another forum and I contributed the following - might be some use.

I used to do this stuff (financial services) for a living.

PCP is usually just HP with lower regular payment and a large final one ("balloon payment"), with a buy back guarantee at the end if the customer doesn't want to make the balloon payment. The problem with just handing the car back is that you then have no car...

Dealers and manufacturers love PCP because it's easier to sell a car with a lower monthly payment, and unless the customer is going to budget for the balloon payment then it is very likely that he (or she) will be in the market for another new car in 3 years time, and captive to another new car on PCP. If they are lucky, they will have enough equity in the car to pay the next deposit, and off they go again.

One of the other benefits for dealers of selling on any form of credit is that the customer who is focused on affordable monthly payments can take his eye off the ball, the total cost. It's easier to sell an extra when it's only another tenner a month, not an extra £500 and a bit on the balloon payment that the customer has to part with.

If you can budget for the balloon payment, you could instead save money (interest) by using an ordinary loan, not PCP, other things (especially the interest rate, but possibly also discounts) being equal.

But...there are some bargains, simply because of the attraction to manufacturers of hooking people in to this form of new car addiction. They are looking at the "lifetime value" of a new customer.

So when there is over-supply, old models to get rid of, or demand tails off, rather than just trashing the prices it can make more sense to promote a discount to people buying on PCP. That's usually dressed up as a deposit contribution, a boosted buyback guarantee (=lower monthly payment) or, as with the Skoda deal, a low or zero interest rate.

A pal of mine got a stupidly good PCP deal on a Mercedes ML when the price of gas guzzlers crashed a few years ago. The monthly payments he made on a two year deal had covered about half the depreciation from the best discounted price he could have had when he just handed it back two years later.

Just look at the numbers carefully and see if it works for you. But the starting point should be to determine the best discounted price you can get, and keep checking back to that.

To which I would add - as davecooper says - you aren't actually forced to go back to the dealer you bought from and hand the car over, though they are happy to let you think so if you want to. Be wary of the interest rate if it looks low, or even zero - it could still be a poor deal if the price is too high.

car leasing. pro's and con's? - concrete

Thank you all for the worthwhile advice. I did not really consider future condition as an important part of the contract. My daughter, god bless her, is a bit tough on vehicles and this would cause problems two or three years down the line I am sure. Given that, and the mileage issue I think I will persuade her to purchase rather than lease. We are lucky to have access to a gem of an independant mechanic for service and repairs so I think that is the route to take. Thanks again for all comments.

Cheers Concrete.

car leasing. pro's and con's? - SusanFCD

Hi - just a small peice of personal advice, i would never use Yes-lease.co.uk, i have had a really bad experience and i am thinking about complaining to BVRLA. Please please don't use them, i am really regretting it.