Vectra C 2.2 DTi, 2003 - Diesel particulate filter - Yorkshire Dave

Hi

My car has done 110000 miles from new and I've started to have a problem where the car goes into limp home mode and, obviously, loses power. I don't use this car very much any more - it's more like a van for when I need to buy something dirty or heavy and so it probably only does about 2000 miles a year - if that.

I think that the problem might be the DPF but don't really know if this is likely. Can anybody help and is the replacement a DIY job?

Cheers

Vectra C 2.2 DTi, 2003 - Diesel particulate filter - RobJP

This car does not have a DPF, so that is not a possible problem. More likely to be the EGR valve sticking, or one of the many sensors (mass air flow sensor comes to mind as a reasonable suspect)

However, you could just go and replace those parts, and find it's something else entirely. Far better to get a diagnostic test carried out if possible, rather than random parts replacement.

Regarding diagnostics, look for a recommended independent garage if possible. HJ carries a list of customer-rated garages, and there are a couple of other systems too (goodgaragescheme.com is one, sure others out there). Look up, find one local, read reviews, and pick one.