100,000 - mss1tw

Did/do people on the contintent think their cars were worn out after 100,000km rather than miles?

Idly wondering if potentially less worn spare parts might be available across the channel...

100,000 - mike hannon

Not in France. To a French seller, 100k is nearly new.

300k maybe.

100,000 - corax

300k maybe.

Yep. Japan is the only country that I'm aware of that sells cars at low mileage, due to their MOT, I don't know if other countries are similar to this.

Australia, America would see 100k as nearly new.

100,000 - mss1tw

300k maybe.

Yep. Japan is the only country that I'm aware of that sells cars at low mileage, due to their MOT, I don't know if other countries are similar to this.

That answers that then! It seems 100k is only a concern to Brits...

100,000 - Chris M

"It seems 100k is only a concern to Brits..."

But only the whimpy ones fortunately.

100,000 - Sulphur Man

100K cars subjected to our pitted, salt-encrusted, traffic-jammed roads for three wet and mouldy seasons a year end up looking like 300K in France, Japan, Aus etc.

100,000 - alan1302

300k maybe.

Not that Brits woudl be othered about kms

100,000 - gordonbennet

Aussies, like Americans in most cases did not embrace the extended service fashion (and i suspect wouldn't be backward in airing their disdain judging by Aussies i've known), so their timing chains engine components and transmissions arn't on borrowed time at 100k miles.

Hilux and LC for example have a 9k service interval in the UK, also a 9k interval in Aus, but kms.

I wonder if other makes have similar discrepencies between markets.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/07/2014 at 15:50

100,000 - mss1tw

300k maybe.

Not that Brits woudl be othered about kms

I was talking purely about breaching the '6 figures' point on the odometer

100,000 - Andrew-T

<< That answers that then! It seems 100k is only a concern to Brits...>>

I was looking at an elderly Porsche 914 the other day which had only a 5-digit odometer, showing 18K. I presume it will have been round at least once?

100,000 - mss1tw

<< That answers that then! It seems 100k is only a concern to Brits...>>

I was looking at an elderly Porsche 914 the other day which had only a 5-digit odometer, showing 18K. I presume it will have been round at least once?

I guess you'll have to look for clues besides the odometer...wear on pedals, steering wheel, carpets...how many owners it's had...any MOT mileage recordings...

100,000 - daveyK_UK

It's to simplistic to view a car by its mileage.

Around 2 years ago a friend purchased a 3 and half year old police 1.6 astra with a little over 100k miles on the clock.

Around the same time, my nephew purchased the same reg astra 1.6 ex-lex lease car with 115k miles on.

Both came from BCA auctions

The police car was a lemon, with lots of faults including gearbox failure occurring within 6 months of ownership.

The lex lease car is still going now, it's had a few faults but nothing like the problems of the ex police car.

Similar mileage, one lemon, one decent

100,000 - mss1tw

I thought everyone knew ex police cars were ones to steer well clear from!

100,000 - daveyK_UK

It depends on its use.

Ex-staff and undercover cars can be real bargains with superb history.

However, ex squad cars can be hit and miss, but the prices normally reflect the risk.

I can recall a row of 5 year old 1.7 diesel 150k miles white astras all worse for wear averaging around 600 quid plus the 5% buyer fee