Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi 2005 - Diesel MOT smoke test result, pass but near limit. - mak

Just had the car mot'd and although it passed, I am bit concerned that the 'Turbo test result' came out as 2.80 m-1 which is not far off the max of 3.00. The car is Euro 1V and has done about 84k miles and would have expected a better result than this especially as the car is not used for short journeys and is serviced as scheduled. Should I be concerned and do you think I have a problem somewhere?

Many thanks

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi 2005 - Diesel MOT smoke test result, pass but near limit. - mak

Sorry should have said that the car does not have a DPF and normally use Esso diesel.

Audi A3 Sportback 1.9tdi 2005 - Diesel MOT smoke test result, pass but near limit. - Peter.N.

Did you give it a good thrash on the way to the MOT? If not that's probably what it needed, soot builds up in the exhaust system and it needs full throttle for a few minutes to eject it. What the tester is actually seeing is soot rather than smoke.

Hello Peter.N......no I didn't but will next time. Thanks for the reply