Peugeot 206 2.0L HDi 90 3 Dr LX - Gear Sync - NottsMark

I just bought a Peugeot 206 from a trader, I did test drive it and was wondering if what the trader (a garage) was saying was true.

The problem is only with 3rd gear, it crunches unless you double de-clutch. I mentioned this to the trader and they assured me that in all their years of trading and experience of cars, the issue is with the clutch.

I agree that the clutch needs changing but fail to see how this one issue can be related to a clutch.

Anyone got any similar experiences of this type of problem?

As far as the rest of the vehicle is concerned, its body is very sound, the interior is very tidy and generally the car has been looked after both in terms of condition and service history and it has zero faults or warnings.

Peugeot 206 2.0L HDi 90 3 Dr LX - Gear Sync - Andrew-T

Sounds to me (a non-expert) like a problem with 3rd-gear synchro, which won't go away without a gearbox rebuild. The 205 gearbox used to have a weakness in third too - I have experienced two cars where third tended to pop out of mesh when coasting.

It's possible that a change of gearbox oil may help.

Edited by Andrew-T on 26/07/2014 at 10:28

Peugeot 206 2.0L HDi 90 3 Dr LX - Gear Sync - brighteyes
Got to agree with Andrew, if it was the clutch it would be the same in all gears, however it could be worth checking the clutch cable is adjusted correctly or, if it's hydraulic, bleeding it to remove any air. If all is ok in this department then a recon gearbox is as cheap as having it repaired, unless you can do it yourself. If you go for a recon box you should have the clutch replaced at the same time.
Peugeot 206 2.0L HDi 90 3 Dr LX - Gear Sync - Peter.N.

I would third that.

Peugeot 206 2.0L HDi 90 3 Dr LX - Gear Sync - NottsMark

After poking around, it would appear that it is a gear box fault and not as the seller at the garage has stated a clutch problem.

Mechanical issue wise, "Goods not as described" and "Fit for purpose" spring to mind as the goods were not described accurately or honsetly.

Peugeot 206 2.0L HDi 90 3 Dr LX - Gear Sync - Andrew-T

It's not clear how old this car is. You say it is otherwise in good condition, so you have to decide how likely you are to find a better one similar, allowing for its price and the cost of fixing anything. As has been often said, owners usually sell their cars for a reason - in this case possibly a gearbox fault.