Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - upsydaisy005

Hello, hope someone can advise on this. We have seen a VW Touran reg 60, which has been hit to cat D damage and then bought off the auction by a garage. We have been using them for a while with our current car so have trust in their work. They repaired it and now offering for sale. The car is in great cosmetic condition inside and out, the damage was to the front so they replaced the griddle, the bonnet and some plastic in the front. They showed us the car photo before repairs and it doesn't seem like a big deal.They are offering 6 month warranty on it.

Now the Parkers price estimate for this car is £10K private good condition, £9K poor condition with a mileage of 40K. This one only has 11K miles on and they are asking £9.5K for it. It seems like a high price for an ex-damaged car to me, but I don't know how the pricing works in this case. Also I'm worried whether the damage record will be a problem to sell it later on should we decide to change it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - madf

A 20% or so discount is normal.. - not off top book .. but mid.

Grossly overpriced. Run away.

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - RobJP

A 20% or so discount is normal.. - not off top book .. but mid.

Grossly overpriced. Run away.

Agreed. If buying a cat D or C car, your first assumption must be that it will be almost impossible to sell it on in the future - no garage is going to want to take it in part-ex, unless at a huge discount to regular pricing, and very few private individuals will want to know either. So unless you're prepared to run it into the ground, then never buy a car like this.

It doesn't matter if the work was actually only minor, or if there is a full, documented photo library, with signed letters from the finest car rebuilders on the planet. Most will see 'Cat D' and move on to the next car.

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - SteVee

11K miles on a car more than 3 years old.

I hope it's not a diesel.

If the bonnet has been damaged then all sorts of damage could be hiding in that engine bay. It's nowhere near cheap enough to take on.

Thank you all for confirming - my gut instinct was right after all :)

Yes it is a diesel engine. And the catalytic converter warning light went on while we test drove it... they said they will look into it but now I am suspicious about that one too!

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - TedCrilly

Regardless of its percieved value and the problems you may have in insuring it and reselling it something else concerns me.

For a £10k car to be given a Cat D it must have needed around £5-6k worth of repairs. A new bonnet, grill, and plastics doesnt cost anything near this. My thoughts are the garage are not being straight about the nature of the damage and what they have done to repair it.

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - daveyjp
My thoughts too. Plus how long between the accident, the sale and the rebuild? This could be why the mileage is low.
Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - gordonbennet

Ted Crilly's on the money, it takes more than a bonnet wing grille to make a 60 plate car an uneconomical repair, and on the subject of economical that might also apply to the truth being told by the selling garage.

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - Chris M

Perhaps stolen and recovered some time after payout with relatively minor damage?

I'd still give it a miss.

Volkswagen Touran - Is it worth to buy this fixed cat D car? - Andrew-T

Any info on previous owners? Get in touch and find out the real story?

Thanks very much for your answers. We definitely are giving it a miss with so much negative points that you've raised! Off to the next test drive :)