Smart Fortwo - Engine seizure after service - chewie 71

Hi, I am looking for some advice and opinions after having my car serviced recently. I drive a Smart Four two which does not have a drain point for the oil as this has to be pumped out to be replaced.

Having had my car serviced at a local independent Smart garage recently, within four days the car broke down and this was initially thought to be from a defective starter motor.

Having finally managed to get the car to a separate local garage, they informed me it was not the starter motor but that there was no oil hence the engine had seized.

Apart from the obvious such as massive oil leak (no sign of this i.e. no drips or excessive smoking) can anybody give me any ideas why my car would lose over 3 litres of oil in 4 days. I am currently leaning towards the servicing garage not replenishing my oil after servicing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Smart Fortwo - Engine seizure after service - madf

Did you see any warning lights ?

Smart Fortwo - Engine seizure after service - chewie 71

Hi, no warning lights, no smoking, no drips etc, about 300 miles travelled since the service.

Smart Fortwo - Engine seizure after service - Wackyracer

I can't believe you can have no oil and the low oil pressure lamp did not light up. Has the low oil pressure lamp worked when you turned the ignition on in the past?

It does sound like the garage who did the service forgot to refill it with oil but, That is going to be practically impossible to prove.

Smart Fortwo - Engine seizure after service - RobJP

I do not see how it is possible for a car to go 300 miles with no (or virtually no) oil in it.

Smart Fortwo - Engine seizure after service - gordonbennet

I do not see how it is possible for a car to go 300 miles with no (or virtually no) oil in it.

I once had a square Granada 2.3 V6 in for service, the driver of which whilst a boffin in his own field didn't have the slightest clue or interest in cars, he wouldn't have known how to lift the bonnet, i drained exactly 1 pint of treacle out of the sump, it didn't rattle or smoke it didn't put any lights on and subsequently went on for many miles and years.

How long it had run unchecked to use up over 7 pints of oil i don't know it must have been running gradually lower for many months.

Mind you, different days and a completely unstressed engine, with IIRC steel/fibre timing gears?

The car here has probably not had the oil replaced, hopefully they will do the decent thing and put it right.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/07/2014 at 13:35