all diesel models - fabia diesel - dooby

are there any unreliable diesel engines in the fabia 1.4 1.9 or 1.9 sdi

all diesel models - fabia diesel - daveyjp
Reliability of any engine depends on how well it is looked after. Some will be dogs, others will go forever.

all diesel models - fabia diesel - Avant

Absolutely true, but there are some diesel engines with known problems, such as the Ford 1.6 TDCI, VAG 2.0 PD and any Mazda diesel. As far as I know the ones you mention should be OK subject of course to what Daveyjp has said.

The 1.9 TDI will give you better performance than the others at little loss to economy.

Edited by Avant on 19/07/2014 at 21:10

well i have 3 cars in mind octavia estate/saloon fabia estate or a Astra estate. All diesel just not sure what to go for as i was told to go for a fabia sdi as there is much less to go wrong than any of the others

all diesel models - fabia diesel - oldroverboy.

well i have 3 cars in mind octavia estate/saloon fabia estate or a Astra estate. All diesel just not sure what to go for as i was told to go for a fabia sdi as there is much less to go wrong than any of the others

It all depends on your mileage and usage. Are you buying used?

Any of them can be good if properly maintained, but if bad they will be bad.

Is diesel essential to you?

suppose diesel is not the only choice but tend to be more reliable but do need estate or a big boot as i have 2 kids and don't want something to high tax and running cost

and buying used yer as i am not the most flush of people lol

all diesel models - fabia diesel - brum

Earlier 1.4 diesels (maybe all - not sure) have the balancer shaft driven off a chain - the same chain that drives the oil pump - bad idea - often leads to stretched chain that eventually detatches and trashes the engine.

1.9 all bomb proof provided regularly serviced and the cambelt is changed when specified. SDI virtually indestructable but pretty slow.

All these diesels very noisy and agricultural at low revs but very economical on fuel.

Edited by brum on 21/07/2014 at 11:28

The more i read the better the sdi sounds

all diesel models - fabia diesel - Wackyracer

I drove a Polo with the 1.4TDI and it felt a bit unrefined and out of balance to me. It only had 27,000miles on the clock so it wasn't worn out either.

all diesel models - fabia diesel - HandCart

Yep - on the sdi there's virtually nothing to go wrong.

Yep - on the sdi there's virtually nothing to go wrong.

and they seem to be much cheaper to buy

not really heard anything going wrong with them

all diesel models - fabia diesel - HandCart

They're cheaper because with the ones with turbos you get the same economy but much much more performance.

Even the Tdi (1.9 PD 8V) has a good reputation for reliability, but if one is being utterly hardnosed about trying to avoid potential big bills, then obviously the simpler the engine, the better.

The non-turbo will still do 80 mph on the motorway anyway, so how much ooomf does one need?

I don't need much oompf now days as i have 2 kids to worry about

all diesel models - fabia diesel - geordie33
My Golf 1.9 tdi is the second car I have owned with the 1.9 tdi pd engine without a pick of bother.I regularly get 60 to the gallon and it goes when necessary.My mates 1.9tdi is well over 100k miles.Again no trouble at all and nothing replaced.Still as tight as a drum.I make sure that decent oil is changed every year even when my milage is below the recommended change point as well as fuel and oil filters.Great engines in my experience.

Edited by geordie33 on 22/07/2014 at 17:35

all diesel models - fabia diesel - skidpan

Dooby

You asked this very same question about the Octavia on Friday so why ask again. Its the same engine.

My reply from last time:

I had a Polo with the N/A diesel for a short time in the late 90's. It was not the SDi, it was the earlier engine with few less BHP.

All I will say is the car, although much smaller and presumably lighter than the Octavia was a slug. Overtaking needed careful planning and even then there were some real bottom clenching moments, at times it could be downright dangerous when you hadn't driven it for a while. Since you had to drive it hard to keep up with other traffic the mpg was pretty poor as well, low 40's from memory.

Basically I would never buy such a low powered car again. Local taxi drivers loved the the Octavia SDi a few years ago but now they all appear to have disapeared. Wonder why.

so tdi pd is the pick of the bunch then is there any real difference between that and the tdi and also is it recommended to change the dmf to a solid flywheel as i have heard the dmf can be the most costly thing to go wrong on the car and i asked the same question as i could not find the link to the first question i do apologise

o and i can not remember if i got a reply to the question of the sdi having a dmf or solid flywheel

all diesel models - fabia diesel - corax

so tdi pd is the pick of the bunch then is there any real difference between that and the tdi and also is it recommended to change the dmf to a solid flywheel as i have heard the dmf can be the most costly thing to go wrong on the car and i asked the same question as i could not find the link to the first question i do apologise

You can change to a solid flywheel but be aware that you will get more NVH. I wouldn't worry because you can get the DMF and clutch for a reasonable price due to competitive VAG parts prices.

Edited by corax on 23/07/2014 at 09:04

sorry to come across as a bit thick but i am no good with acronyms what is NVH i will have to look about and see what prices i can get

all diesel models - fabia diesel - geordie33
A taxi driver mate of mine has the 1.9 tdi in an Octavia.He moaned when the clutch went for the first time at 240k miles.Obviously driving styles will impact this but not a major worry in my experience.I know someone who fits solid flywheels.Works fine but I gather increases vibration (perhaps thats what nvh means?).If my clutch goes I am replacing like for like.

Edited by corax on 24/07/2014 at 10:20

sorry to come across as a bit thick but i am no good with acronyms what is NVH i will have to look about and see what prices i can get

Noise, vibration, harshness.

I do wonder why petrol models are fitted with DMF's when the whole point of them is to transmit less vibration from an inherently rough engine i.e diesel.

Maybe it's something to do with economics of scale, in that it's cheaper to fit the same layout to all engines.

My old BMW six cylinder was fitted with a DMF. If there was ever an engine that didn't produce much vibration, that was it.

i see well i don't drive harshly or fast as why i am looking at a sdi lol. So it would be best to stay with the dmf its just that i was talking to a cabbie who comes in to my place of work and he and some of his fellow cabbies have changed to s solid flywheel and said they last much longer and it has given him better mpg and only a slight vibration nothing to give him any worry.

does anyone have any idea what kia diesels are like

all diesel models - fabia diesel - skidpan

does anyone have any idea what kia diesels are like

The new ones are excellent.

The old ones are like most old diesels, get a good one and you will be laughing, get a bad one and you will go broke.

Before about 2007 (and the Ceed) Kia diesels in their small/medium cars were 3 cylinder jobbies, Hyundai used the same engine. Tried one, it was the noisiest diesel I have ever driven with terrible vibration to add to the experience.

Bet avoided IMHO.

So it all seems to come back to Skoda Octavia SDI then reliable and run forever