Ford Focus - Types of Calcium Battery - kesher

I'm looking to get a new battery for my focus saloon 1.8 petrol (reg 2000) I know it takes a calcium battery; but some batteries are not just calcium they are silver calcium. Is there a difference or is it just labeling?

THANKS

Ford Focus - Types of Calcium Battery - FP

I was faced with exactly this dilemma a couple of years ago on my 2005 Focus.

In the end I opted for calcium, not silver-calcium. My understanding is that silver-calcium is better able to withstand high temperatures, but that this is not critical in this car. I have had no problems whatsoever with it in around 30,000 miles.

I found this:

"A Lot of companies will specify that their vehicles must use a Silver Calcium battery. This is not true, the only advantage that a Silver alloy gives above lead-Calcium batteries is an improved ability to cope with high temperatures generated under the bonnet. As long as the product is Calcium - Calcium then there is no cause for concern when fitting to a vehicle that requires a Silver - Calcium battery."

(from www.ukbatteries.co.uk/technical/faqs - no idea of how authoritative this is.)

See also: tinyurl.com/p2vq4f3 - which links to a pdf which seems a little more learned.

Edited by FP on 19/07/2014 at 15:51

Ford Focus - Types of Calcium Battery - kesher

Most companies online offer me a silver-calcium battery rather than a calcium only battery when I input the details of my car. I don't mind either one if they are both suitable.

Edited by kesher on 19/07/2014 at 16:22

Ford Focus - Types of Calcium Battery - FP

Halfords offer both types. Navigate to the Battery section of their website; input your car's registration details and you should be offered a range of types and capacities (including lead-acid, which you do NOT want).

Edited by FP on 19/07/2014 at 17:16

Ford Focus - Types of Calcium Battery - Galaxy

Don't buy batteries in Halfords, they are very expensive!

I bought a new battery for my Mondeo a couple of years ago from Euro Car Parts. I bought a Bosch battery but they do sell other makes, too.

Like Halfords, they have a website which you can type in your registration number to see which products are suitable for your car, but they are a darned-site cheaper!

The Mondeo has the same charging system as the Focus. A calcium (or silver calcium) battery is a must for these because the charging voltage can go up to about 16.5 volts, which it's designed to do. This voltage will "cook" a normal lead-acid one.

Ford Focus - Types of Calcium Battery - KenC

I have bought two car batterys in the last 8 months, both were purchased from

performance batterys of tewksbury, delivered by courier the next working day

superb service and the best price ( Half the cost of a well known motoring store) and with a four year guarantee

check out their website & car battery finding tool, phone them if you have any questions

before ordering............ps they price match as well