Diesel vs Diesel - iFocus

This is probably a question with an answer like all diesels are the same these days.

But which out of Vauxhalls 1.7 CDTi, Hondas 2.2 CDTi, Fords 1.8 CDTi and VAGs 1.9 TDi is the best for reliability and frugal-ness? Mainly in Focus/Astra size cars.

I ask as I only have experience of the 1.7 DTi (forerunner to the CDTi) and 1.9 TDi VAG unit.

Only reason I ask is I currently run a 1.8 i-VTEC Civic, which I do a 50+ mile a day commute and its costing me an arm and a leg in petrol, including leisure mileage I spend about £60 a week on petrol and average approx 38mpg. So as you can imagine I'm baulking at the amount I'm spending and I'm thinking I can't currently sustain the amount I am paying out.

But on the other hand theres less to go wrong on the Civic, so in the long run it'll cost me less.

Opinions?

Diesel vs Diesel - gordonbennet

I suspect given the right car you could expect 50mpg, maybe even 60 at a push, but then the fuel is more expensive and you have to take account of how much more you have to pay for the car and any additional servcing and future repair costs.

I'd stick with the Civic and keep it well serviced for a long life, by all means search out a 2.2 Civic when the time comes to replace the car, but i wouldn't change to save money if your current car is in good condition.

Out of interest my mate was running a 1.4Hdi Citroen C2 on his similar distance commute, last time i heard from him the car had just covered 150ish thousand miles, he'd just had the cambelt replaced again, his servcing was top notch and it regularly returned 70mpg, especially good as he slip streamed the lorries on two way roads.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/07/2014 at 20:29

Diesel vs Diesel - Bolt

Civic 2.2 icdti gives me in town 45mpg, mixed around 50 but never had better than 50mpg but imo very good unit.

Cant answer for the others, I didnt think they were as good as Civic but slightly harder suspension on Civic as you know,I dont intend changing for a few years but like you I had 1.8 civic before and it was too juicy for me, and I think diesel is faster on acceleration without being heavy on fuel

Edited by magnit on 16/07/2014 at 23:05

Diesel vs Diesel - craig-pd130

On a 50 mile commute on open, fairly free-flowing roads mixed with your leisure milage, you could reasonably expect to average a genuine 50mpg from a diesel.

You're buying around 10 gallons of petrol a week = around 380 miles per week at your average consumption.

If you average 50mpg from a diesel for those 380 miles, you'll be buying 7.5 gallons per week, which is about £47. So you'd save about £13 per week, but against that you have to factor in the cost of changing the car, likely higher maintenance costs etc ...

My 10p worth is, it's not worth changing. Better the devil you know.

Diesel vs Diesel - YG2007

As previous suggestion as a garage owner (service, repairs and MOTs) who also sells fuel I would agree stick with the petrol civic. In addition if you wish to improve your fuel economy/ save cash consider where you fill up your car. If you chase the cheapest fuel price and end up in a supermarket then try a branded fuel or even consider trying super unleaded. A local customer of ours was getting 36mpg on his peugeot on a daily 40 mile each way commute on supermarket fuel. Our fuel was 10% dearer than the local supermarket, (small local garage) but his economy increased to 42mpg on our fuel and apparently he was getting more than 46mpg on super and the car drove so much better. This was a 10 year old peugeot (100+K mileage). I am not promoting my business but I know from personal experience vehicles go better when not run on the cheap stuff. The newer the petrol car with adaptive ignition timing the greater the benefit should be when running on a better quality fuel. Other areas to look at is your tyres (not just keeping them correctly inflated) but again buying a quality tyre versus say one named after a "red Indian"

Tyres now come with an economy rating so consider this when purchasing. Diesels are good but a mid life diesel car fuel fault can coast an arm and a leg (depending what the fault is) . By comparison petrol cars are cheap to fix.

hope this helps

Diesel vs Diesel - MokkaMan

I have a Mokka 1.7CDTI 4X4, which delivers 50+ mpg on 80 miles per day in hilly A & B roads in the Scottish Highlands. It is a somewhat gruff unit, which I believe will be replaced shortly by the 1.6CDTI (more economy, more quiet and more bhp). Curiously I got even better economy on 16" winter tyres (about 10% more) than I do on the standard 18" wheels, so perhaps your wheel size is something you could change on your current car as a cheap means to assist economy

Diesel vs Diesel - Bromptonaut

All things being equal I personally prefer a diesel but in your case if the honda's doing what you want my money is on stick with it.

A cost to change running into thousands will take an awful long time to payback out of difference between 38 and 50 to gallon. And the gallon of diesel is 20-30p more than petrol.

Diesel vs Diesel - HandCart

It depends if you were considering replacing your current car for a new or very-nearly-new one anyway: The latest Civic diesel (1.6, I think) is supposed to be rather spectacularly economical.

On the other hand if your current car is reliable and you wouldn't mind keeping it several more years, you could consider spending an outlay of about £1200 to get it converted to LPG. That would then give you fuel costs equivalent to near 70mpg, fo far less outlay than buying a new car (and incurring its depreciation), plus you avoid the potential big-bill pitfalls of recent diesel engines. You just forfeit the spare wheel.

Diesel vs Diesel - CP90

I'd also say stick with the petrol while it is still running well and maybe try different petrols to see if it makes a difference to your MPG

Diesel vs Diesel - madf

Look at the cost to change.. (I would guess £5,000+)

Your wekly fuel saving - see above - is going to be c £13.

Divide the cost to change by the wekly fule saving = number of weeks to repay the cot to change. (384 weeks on the example £5,000 ).

That's 7 years..

If you cannot save the cost to change within three years, you are wasting your money..

I was hoping to get a car that did 60mpg+, do none of the cars I mentioned get anywhere near then?

My old Astra 1.7 DTi used to do 64mpg a majority of the time!

Diesel vs Diesel - gordonbennet

I think the problem is that Diesel cars come with more expensive ticking time bombs than petrols, you've set a money saving target and are presumably going to spend money out in order to save it.

Yes you might get 60mpg out of a decent mid sized Diesel hatch, but you might also find get an expensive fault that could wipe out your first two years savings in one repair, then your economy plan has gone out the window, and we don't want to goad you on.

If you were replacing the Civic because its getting tired or has run its time with you, or you just fancy another car, great, go out and buy whatever you want, personally out of your short list i'd go for the Civic.

No one here is saying you can't do this, you asked for our opinions and we seem in agreement (unusual in itself) that the savings, unless you go super frugal something like my mates C2 and drive miserly, won't be enough to warrant the change whilst your current car is still a good un.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/07/2014 at 22:07

Diesel vs Diesel - bazza

I remeber several years ago I had a ZX diesel, lovely car and nearly 60 mpg average. Then one day it suffered a catastrophic failure which wiped out all the fuel savings I'd ever made plus some.

It is almost always cheaper to run a reliable car into the ground than try and save money by buying a new eco model. Of course you'll get the headline saving and the feel good factor of filling up less often. But the cost of depreciation of a newer model will far outweigh the relatively small savings on fuel. With that Civic, good servicing and careful ownership should see it to 200,000 miles. Of course repair costs may increase but that is true of any car. I would keep, modify my driving style and eke a couple more mpg out of it, and also consider an LPG conversion.

Problem is I'm already driving as economically as possible and its boring the hell out of me, I used to enjoy driving but not in the Civic with it chewing through fuel.

To be honest it does late 40s MPG when theres no traffic, it was showing 57mpg on the display this morning too. But its not the norm on the M60 during rush hour for it to be fast flowing. I get stuck on the A34 too every evening on the way home which abliterates any economy.

Diesel vs Diesel - Bolt

My old 1.8 civic was doing average 250/280 miles to a tank motorway and town work,the diesel is giving me minimum 480 to the tank from brim to light coming on,this week I got 530 miles on same running about, but, put that down to weather but much better than petrol and tax is cheaper by £50...... Suspension is slightly better as well :-)

Diesel vs Diesel - Bolt

Take no notice of that display its nowhere near accurate,about 6 to 8 mpg lower is about right.

Diesel vs Diesel - Robbie
I bought a new Honda Tourer EX I-CTDI in 2004 and changed it in 2013 for a new Honda CR-V 2.2 EX I-DTEC. Never had a problem with my Accord, and was the most reliable car ever. Urban fuel consumption was around 38 -39 mpg, and on motorways and autoroutes I averaged 54 mpg, fully laden.

If you are looking for a reliable motor you won't go far wrong with a Honda Accord diesel. The I-DTEC engine is rather more frugal than the I-CDTI.
Diesel vs Diesel - Avant

Unless I've missed it, you haven't told us what your budget is or whether you're thinking of buying new or used, or what your total annual mileage is. All of these are important if you want meaningful advice.

On the basis of what we know, I'd agree with the others that keeping the current Civic makes a lot of sense, for the reasons they've given.

My annual mileage is 16-18k a year including commuting and leisure mileage. And my budget is approx £5-6k.

Diesel vs Diesel - mark999
The VAG 1.9 diesels are excellent engines with very good fuel economy. The biggest advantage is that they do not have a DPF.
They are not a refined as others but choose carefully and you shouldn't go wrong
Mark