£4500 Budget for Hatchback that will last? - Alex100583

Hello Wise People,

I have been reading a ton of reviews and I am struggling to get to the bottom of which car will be best for me. I am a Mature student and I need to buy a car that will last me for as long as possible and ideally be reliable. I will be covering be covering 8k miles a year (guess) and I know that Diesel is not cost effective for these distances, but I wonder if this is offset by the engine lasting longer?

I am also staring down the barrel of kids so I think a 5dr hatchback/small estate would make sense (something the size of a focus). I also hope that I can get something that is reasonably fuel efficient without being absolutely sluggish? I am aware I might be asking for too much!

I am just unsure whether to balance age vs miles on the clock and diesel vs petrol. I have bought some terrible cars in the past and I hope that will end here!

Any help would be much appreciated i.e. recommendations of: Make/Model/Age/Miles/Engine.

Many thanks in advance!

£4500 Budget for Hatchback that will last? - veryoldbear

At 8k miles per annum think petrol only. If you are going to have kids over the next few years, I fear it's going to be estate-ville. Until you've done it you will never believe the sheer quantity of STUFF you have to cart about.

I will start the ball rolling with an Astra estate.

£4500 Budget for Hatchback that will last? - HandCart

I'll raise you a Focus estate or a Focus C-Max or a Mazda 5 or a Honda FR-V. But the FR-V's boot isn't enormous. The japanese stuff was with a view to reliability and longevity, but actually, since there's no need for a diesel, the Fords should be perfectly reliable and long-lived anyway if they just get regularly serviced.

£4500 Budget for Hatchback that will last? - gordonbennet

Avensis pre 09 so previous model, preferably estate.

I too would avoid Diesel, unless you find one so cheap as to be disposable when something nasty goes.

Again, as so many times, if Hyundai/Kia had only offered estate versions of Sonata/Magentis....however, as both are decent sized cars and can usually be bought very reasonably due to image/badge snobbery (the marques are now ok with the trendy just like LIdl/Aldi, when these models were current they weren't) then one of these two could easily do you several years and certainly would cope with one sprog, and you would save a shedload of cash buying, these can be bought privately with low mileages, often owned by older folk who tend to look after, and not abuse their vehicles.

Its possible Kia Ceed estate is coming down to your budget too, i delivered rakes of these when new and was thorughly inpressed with how the car was put together underneath.

£4500 Budget for Hatchback that will last? - Ed V

If your normal daily/weekly use will be local stuff, you may prefer to stick will a smaller car, and just buy in a roof rack or box for once or twice a year use, and stick with the Focus-size not a rather large Avensis.

A Honda Jazz will take everything you have, and your nieghbours stuff too.