7.5t Truck Hire - Few Questions - BigShow

Hi, found your forum while searching for some info about a truck hire so thought I'd pick your brains for some more!

Am moving house and would like to hire a 7.5t as don't think a Luton will be big enough for a single trip. I've never hired one before although am perfectly comfortable with big vehicles so that won't be an issue. Just want to get some details sorted out that have been mentioned to me -

- as this is non-business activity I don't think I need a tacho?

- someone mentioned that these vehicles have two gearboxes so would need some training to drive but the hire company say it's only one and just like driving a Luton. Why would there be confusion here?

- I have a C1 license under the grandfather rights, the DVLA have confirmed it's active until I'm 70.

- Are 7.5t trucks limited to 60 on the motorway?

- Anything else I need to think of?!?

Thanks in advance.

7.5t Truck Hire - Few Questions - leef

Hired one when I moved house last October from Salford van hire, had pretty much the same questions:

Heres what I was I told if memory serves me correct.

I didn't need a tacho as It wasn't business hire.

There was only one gear box in the 7.5t I hired. Was pretty easy to drive as well, standard 6 speed. I think you have the 2nd gears on 17/18 tonners.

I scrapped into the C1 Cat by 2 years :)

I thought it was 70 on the motorway up to and including 7.5t

Thanks

Lee

Cheers, it was just a stab in the dark about the speed limit and not that important.

Just phoned around to see if I could save a bit (best quote was £348 for two days) and found one for £266 but they won't insure me. So looks like I'll have to go with a bigger company where it's included. Not a big problem though.

7.5t Truck Hire - Few Questions - RobJP

In terms of speed limits for a 7.5 tonne vehicle, the differences are :

Single carriageway : 50 mph (cars 60 mph)

Dual carriageway : 60 mph (cars 70 mph)

Though it's unlikely you'll come across a 7.5 tonner these days on a for hire basis that doesn't have a limiter fitted (56 mph)

You do not need CPC or tacho for personal, non-commercial use.

Now : you say that you are perfectly comfortable driving large vehicles, but you don't seem to have driven anything of this size before (if you had, then I'd have expected you to know about 4 over 4 gearboxes, speed limits, etc)... do bear in mind that these things are usually 2 feet wider than the widest of ''normal" cars or vans, the handling and braking is very different too.

Just because your licence allows you to do something, doesn't always mean it's a good idea.

7.5t Truck Hire - Few Questions - daveyjp

Get yourself a HGV route map too. Living near an arch railway bridge we get used to drivers reshaping the roof of wagons on hire.

I'm already thinking about the best route because the hire company will drop the vehicle off but I live down a narrow little lane that you can't get a big truck along! Will have to make other arrangements there.

My experience of larger vehicles (other than Lutons and the like) was driving a truck and trailer for my rowing club. Was stopped next to a double-decker at one point and comfortably several feet longer at each end, not including the overhang from the boats. I know width is more the issue with these trucks but without blowing my own trumpet to much I should be fine.

My Dad also got me a HGV lesson for my 16th birthday but that's probably not too relevant now....

7.5t Truck Hire - Few Questions - RT

Recent 7.5 tonners, in about the last 10 years, will have 56mph limiters fitted per EU regulations - regardless of any higher UK limits.

I think it's already been said but the limits are 50 single carriageway, 60 dual carriageway and 70 motorway

7.5t Truck Hire - Few Questions - gordonbennet

Before you get too involved, have you tried some of the smaller, but professional outfits, likely to appreciate shall we say the discreet approach, and let them move you.

I ask because SWMBO used to own and drive her own removals lorry, and when we moved here she contacted a couple of local companies, one of which did our move for us (2 x trips with Mercedes transit sized Luton van) with 2 really nice young chaps, for little more cost than we could hire and fuel a 7.5 tonner for....she knew the game so arranged it as move alone no packing/unpacking required and obviously we helped the lads.

By the time you've factored in the extra CDW they'll surprise you with at the desk when you collect, and then the fuel it will use if you go barrelling along at full pelt, you might not be any better off DIYing, and thats not including the puncture on a rear inner which one of their regular customers had on another lorry, but they happen to discover on yours just after you leave the premises.