SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - M005E

Hi, I hope this isn't too dumb a question, but is it OK to top up the adblue on our Alhambra myself or will that invalidate the warranty?

It's a 2012 plate so we've still got a year left on the SEAT warranty, but unless I'm missing something it appears to be just a case of putting the AdBlue in the reservoir which I think is the one that is accessed within the rear panel over the nearside wheel. I've just had the warning that it needs doing within 1500 miles, so iI guess there's not a great rush, but I didn't want to go straight to the dealer with it as I suspect the answer would be "pay us a lot of money to tip fluid A into receptacle B"

If it is OK for me to do, do I just top the reservoir off, or is there a specific quantity to add?

Thanks for your help.

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - RobJP

Before jumping in and doing the job yourself, why not phone a dealer (or 2) and get prices for doing the job ?

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - bathtub tom

I think you'll find you'll need to pay someone to turn off the warning light, unless you've the means to do it yourself.

If you search the VW/Ford/SEAT forums you may find a way of doing it.

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - elekie&a/c doctor

Not so simple,i'm afraid.The system will need to be filled and the system reset.It may also need a software update .hth

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - Brit_in_Germany

The SEAT web site links to a video explaining how to fill it up so I guess they think it is OK to do it yourself.

www.seat.co.uk/content/uk/brand/en/services-and-ac...l

Sorry - that vid just says take it to the dealer!

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 09/07/2014 at 21:41

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - Brit_in_Germany

According to the German sites, to reset after filling, it is simply a matter of turning the ignition on and leaving for 30s before starting the engine.

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - wavecrest1

My AdBlue warning came on at almost exactly 22,000 miles.

The car has a comprehensive service plan from the SEAT dealer that seems to cover everything (oil, filters, pollen filters, brakes, discs, wipers, you name it..) ... everything except AdBlue.

They quoted £68 to do a top up. Problem is my SEAT dealer is ~50miles away and there is a trade off between laziness and wasting an afternoon driving up to them.

I therefore checked (and double checked) with the dealer that it was OK to top it up myself. Both the receptionist and workshop manager assured me that it was no problem and would not affect the SEAT warranty or the dealer service plan. (and all my mobile calls are recorded ;-) )

I opted to use genuine VAG products, bought from my local VW dealer, 3 miles away.

In terms of the top up, you have two choices.

• Either you can buy 7 or 8 small bottles (1.89 litres) that have the proper screw in connectors. These cost £6.73 each.
  • Or you can buy a 10 litre keg and a proper filler hose (VAG part number 000-012-499). The small bottles were £6.73. The 10 litre keg was £13.03 and the filler hose was £8.51.

I was surprised how cheap the VW dealer was. Tesco sell 1.5L of Adblue for £7.50, Amazon sell the 10L kegs for £19.99 and EuroCarParts were looking £32.99 for a 10L keg. I assume all VW dealers have the same pricing right across the UK and at these prices it makes sense to use the own brand product and keep the receipts in case there was ever a dispute down the line.

I opted for 2 of the kegs and the proper hose. It was a completely painless exercise. No Spills, no mess. Using the proper hose means you won't overfill it. The actual filling process only took about 5 minutes. The car was showing "Refill in 800 miles" at the time and it took 15 litres to completely fill it. You have to put in at least 10 litres to allow the warning message to be reset. To remove the dashboard warning message, simply turn the key to the "ignition on" position, leave it for 30 seconds (I waited 60 seconds) and then turn the key the rest of the way to start the engine.

All prices include VAT were correct as of yesterday - 19-March-2016.

Hope this helps ....

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - RobJP

What does your handbook say ?

I know that BMW, while they sell adblue and will fill up the reservoir (for a fee), also detail in the handbook exactly how to go about it yourself. My handbook contains those details (though my car is not one of those fitted with adblue system, as it was optional in 2013)

The handbook is matter of fact - Get some Adblue and stick it in.

There was a bit of debate on this forum about warranties, needing to use a computer to reset the warning messages, getting software updates on the car, etc.

I just wanted to clarify that it is really simple and to share some tips about cost and getting the VAG hose...

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - RT

I can't be specific about the Alhambra - but as far as I know, Adblue/DEF can be added at any time by the owner without impacting the warranty or involving the electronics.

Some VW Group vehicles can be obscure if they run low on Adblue/DEF - they may require a specific quantity to reset the message - but some versions can be reset by switching on ignition for 30+ seonds without starting the engine.

As I said in the previous message, you have to add at least 10 litres to be able to reset the warning message. I'm also told that you must add the 10 litres in one go.... i.e. you can't add 1.5L, turn ignition on, check it; add another 1.5L, ignition on, check it, etc.

As I said in the previous message, you have to add at least 10 litres to be able to reset the warning message. I'm also told that you must add the 10 litres in one go.... i.e. you can't add 1.5L, turn ignition on, check it; add another 1.5L, ignition on, check it, etc.

Some VW Group cars, eg Touareg, can reset the warning message just as I posted above - provided enough Adblue was added to take the level above the trigger point.

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - joegrundy

Unless I'm going completely doolally-tap, I'm sure I've read recently here on HJ (maybe a long-term 'our cars' test?) where an Audi needed Ad-blue tank refilling.

IIRC the Audi dealer charged £1.50 per litre and no labour charge for doing it. May be the best way to go.

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - joegrundy

Here it is:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/audi-a6-avant/adblue.../

IIRC the Audi dealer charged £1.50 per litre and no labour charge for doing it. May be the best way to go.

My local SEAT, SKODA and VW dealers all charge £68 for a top-up, irrespective of quantity - seems like it is standard VAG pricing. I've had a bad experience with the Audi dealer so didn't even call them.

Note that the HJ article mentions that the VAG nozzle is different and that you can't really use the dispenser pumps in some filling stations.

I put all the costs in the posting above.

My local SEAT, SKODA and VW dealers all charge £68 for a top-up, irrespective of quantity - seems like it is standard VAG pricing. I've had a bad experience with the Audi dealer so didn't even call them.

Note that the HJ article mentions that the VAG nozzle is different and that you can't really use the dispenser pumps in some filling stations.

I put all the costs in the posting above.

The VW website has a price promise that dealers will do Adblue top-ups for £1.50/litre.

VW dealers sell 5 and 10 litre drums of Adblue and a VAG-specific hose connector - at least they can, some decline to.

I've got the VAG-specific hose, a 10 litre from VW dealer and remaining supplies will come from EuroCarParts in 10 litre drums at around £12. If I find a Shell filling station nearby with an Adblue pump, I can refill there even cheaper.

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - VW & Seat owner

I've refilled my Alhambra twice now. By a hose from a dealer, part no

000 012 499 & a 10L Drum for about £12. Simple!

SEAT Alhambra - Adding AdBlue - ok or invalidate warranty? - johnbos

Filling up ad blue is similar to just filling your fuel tank...don't let adblue get too low or it will cause problems.