Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - Hamsafar

Britain's biggest independent car parts supplier was on the verge of appointing administrators on Tuesday, putting up to 1,600 jobs at risk.

Sky News understands that Unipart Automotive, which has a network of 200 branches, has filed a notice of intention to appoint KPMG to act as administrator following protracted trading difficulties.

Sources said on Tuesday that the company was hopeful of securing a rescue deal prior to KPMG's formal appointment that would preserve most, if not all, of the 1,600 jobs.

more... uk.news.yahoo.com/unipart-automotive-woes-put-1600...4
Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - 72 dudes

Nonsense, the recession has finished, the economy is on the up, house prices are booming, consumers are spending, and there are more people in work than ever before.

Oh yeah, and then there's the real world.

Sad news, Unipart have been around for ever, I remember when they only stocked BMC/BL parts - weren't they owned by Leyland once?

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - gordonbennet

Oh so cynical 72 dudes, and i'm right there with you.

Anyone would think there's an election due and the meejia are doing exactly what they are paid to do, get the party their employer favours (much mutual back scratching) elected.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - galileo

Anyone would think there's an election due and the meejia are doing exactly what they are paid to do, get the party their employer favours (much mutual back scratching) elected.

In fairness, around here (West Yorkshire) employment has certainly picked up over the last few months - some textile firms are struggling to keep up with demand, firms in other lines of business are recruiting/expanding, so it's not all media hype.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - A. Badger

It woiuld be interesting to hear the real story behind Unipart's problems. There was a time when it was the only commercially successful part of BL and its demise is certainly not going to be down to the recession alone - if at all.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - galileo

In fairness, around here (West Yorkshire) employment has certainly picked up over the last few months - some textile firms are struggling to keep up with demand, firms in other lines of business are recruiting/expanding, so it's not all media hype.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - SteveLee
It didn't help when a certain manufacturer took a load of business away from unipart whilst asset stripping Rover and moving the more profitable part production to their subsidiary brands.
Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - NARU

Nonsense, the recession has finished, the economy is on the up, house prices are booming, consumers are spending, and there are more people in work than ever before.

Oh yeah, and then there's the real world.

Sad news, Unipart have been around for ever, I remember when they only stocked BMC/BL parts - weren't they owned by Leyland once?

The country still owes £1Tn or more. ANd individuals still have a further £1Tn or so of debt.

Until we can persuade everyone to live more within their means, our country is going to have to continue to sell companies to foreign investors just to balance the books.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - oldroverboy.

In the "real" world, Unipart have fallen behind with the likes of Eurocarparts etc offering discounts to ordinary retail customers with a clear websites and choices.

Economics is the reason.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - jc2

Eurocarparts are considering an offer.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - oldroverboy.

And so it came to pass.

It is interesting to go to The Parts Alliance Homepage...

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - daveyjp
Andrew Page have picked up a number of the car parts distribution centres, so some small positives from this.
Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - craig-pd130

In recent years, the business consultancy arm has been the most successful part, telling paying customers how Unipart Automotive pulled itself out of the mire in the 80s.

It seems the physician was unable to heal himself ...

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

When I owned BMC/British Leyland cars I probably kept Unipart and Quinton Hazell going with many small DIY fitted parts among them. Most bolt on parts were replaced on two Minis, a Maxi and a Marina over an interesting 12 year period.

Since I went over to the VW group in around 1987, parts required for repairs are few and far between. No wheel bearings, suspension parts, fuel tanks, water pumps, piston rings, valves, exhausts etc etc even running a Passat up to 140,000 miles.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - Happy Blue!

Not just employees suffering. Landlords of many sites are now having to find rates payments when previously the tenants paid it. It reduces income and profit so the country receives less tax income.

Suppliers will also need to find new outlets or they will wither away, with more job losses. The recession is not over yet, whatever George Osborne says.

Several Unipart outlets being reopened by the people who ran ECP.
Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - SteveLee

When I owned BMC/British Leyland cars I probably kept Unipart and Quinton Hazell going with many small DIY fitted parts among them. Most bolt on parts were replaced on two Minis, a Maxi and a Marina over an interesting 12 year period.

Since I went over to the VW group in around 1987, parts required for repairs are few and far between. No wheel bearings, suspension parts, fuel tanks, water pumps, piston rings, valves, exhausts etc etc even running a Passat up to 140,000 miles.

Try telling that to the tens of thousands of VW 2.0L TDI owners with wrecked engines after water pump failure caused the cambelt to break or slip - or the thousands of longitudinally mounted 2.0L TDI VAG engines where the oil pump drive has failed wrecking the engine. The many thousands of three cylinder VAG engines that have gone bang (con rods etc.)

Whilst I would trust late 80s early 90s VAG cars to be well-engineered and dependable – they are now living on reputation alone with too many examples of poor design and engineering to mention of late.

My last Jag XJ8 still had it's original wheel bearings, fuel tank, water pump, piston rings, valves etc at the time I sold it on 170K miles - one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned - as was the XJR it replaced. It did receive two new front wishbones at 150K. But then being an avid Mk1 Golf hillclimber I got used to replacing wishbones as consumables as they bent rather easily on hard-driven cars.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - HandCart

Apart from trunnions (which were okay anyway if kept greased), what on earth was there to go wrong on a Marina ?!?

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Oh A-Z front to back. A nightmare.

Unipart Automotive Woes Put 1,600 Jobs At Risk - Bolt

Apart from trunnions (which were okay anyway if kept greased), what on earth was there to go wrong on a Marina ?!?

My old A40 was more reliable than my Marina 1.8 tc

Hasnt ECP taken over Unipart ?

No

The former owners of ECP (who sold out to the Americans in 2011 for £280Million) have set up a new company and are leasing many of the former Partco sites from the landlords who now have empty units.