Grand Prix - exciting? - corax

The Radio Times this week has a picture of the start of the British Grand Prix in 1965.

f1.imgci.com/PICTURES/CMS/8300/8360.jpg

I wasn't even born when this was taken, but I can see the sense of excitement in that picture, the noise, the smell. Yes, i know that people died and it was dangerous, but I wish I could go back in time to witness these earlier races, and feel the atmosphere.

Does anyone look foward to the modern Grand Prix?

To me, part of the pleasure is listening to the noise they make. They have now changed to V6 turbo's for, apparently, emissions purposes. It is race, not an economy run, and I think it's a step too far. They sound like glorified hoovers (unlike the older generation cars in the Mansell era), and unless a bit of rain is throw into the mix, it is all a bit anodyne.

Grand Prix - exciting? - Cyd

We're up to lap 15 now.

Exciting? A matter of opinion.

Dramatic? Certainly

Grand Prix - exciting? - xtrailman

I certainly don't miss the noise, they could race electric cars for all i care, the excitment is in competing, and we still get a dramatic crash anyway even with a tiny 1.6 6cy engine.

Grand Prix - exciting? - colinh

Most of the people complaining of lack of noise are the old duffers who are now partially deaf

Grand Prix - exciting? - RT

Noise levels at F1 circuits weren't high to start with - not compared to the ex-F1 engines used by F3000 when the Birmingham Superprix used to run - on the inside of corners we were only about 3 feet away !

Grand Prix - exciting? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Noise levels are a matter of preference. I prefer lower revving V8s to screamers. The old Formula 5000 single seaters were fantastic earth shakers in formula libre races. As was the late John Foulston's McLaren CanAm car.

Grand Prix - exciting? - davecooper
The Birmingham SuperPrix, ah yes I remember it fondly. It wasn't only the noise, it rattled your internal organs as well.

I don't know why, but I found the start of GP's 25 years ago more exciting than now. I know this was back in the Mansell era and you never knew what was going to happen with "Nige". However, I don't think this had anything to do with it. I just think there was more tension then for some reason. I still enjoy all motor racing though.
Grand Prix - exciting? - alan1302

Yes, very exciting and I always look forward to each race.

F1 cars have never just ran round the track as quick as possible - it's always featured looking after fuel/tyres etc.

Grand Prix - exciting? - quizman

I found myself flicking over to the Tour de France, more and more as the "race" progressed. Wonderful views of Yorkshire and Derbyshire and what fantastic crowds.

Is Hamilton the mardiest driver ever? I think he may be.

I found myself flicking over to the Tour de France, more and more as the "race" progressed. Wonderful views of Yorkshire and Derbyshire and what fantastic crowds.

Is Hamilton the mardiest driver ever? I think he may be.

Maybe you just don't enjoy F1?

Grand Prix - exciting? - Hamsafar

Every dog has it's day and IMHO, F1 is a dog that has had it's day.

Every dog has it's day and IMHO, F1 is a dog that has had it's day.

Why? Did you not find the racing good at Silverstone?

There have been some excellent races this year.

Grand Prix - exciting? - quizman

>>>Maybe you just don't enjoy F1?

I used to but now it's all saving tyres and fuel. They used to call it the Mobil Economy Run.

Give me proper racing.

>>>Maybe you just don't enjoy F1?

I used to but now it's all saving tyres and fuel. They used to call it the Mobil Economy Run.

Give me proper racing.

It's always been about saving tyres and fuel - even back in the days of Fangio and Moss they had to use as little fuel as possible and save their tyres the best they could.

The only difference is now that we have in-car communications and computers built into the cars we find out a lot more about what is going on in the cockpit whilst in the past we would be in the dark about it.

Grand Prix - exciting? - Gibbo_Wirral

I love F1 but I don't understand the hype Silverstone gets. I much prefer Spa or the USA.

I thought there were some good moments in the race - Guttierez sending Maldonardo in the air, the wheel to wheel battle between Vettel and Alonso, and good placing for Williams and McLaren.

I don't have Sky and I'm wondering if I'm just getting a fraction of the coverage we used to get when it was on the BBC? When I had a free weekend Sky Sports Pass I found there seemed to be far more involvement between F1 (especially the drivers) and Sky.

Grand Prix - exciting? - RickyBoy

The only one worth watching (IMO) these days is Monaco – for the surroundings, totty and the fact that you can actually see them at work in the cockpit in the slower corners!

For sure, there is still some pretty exciting driving/overtaking/undertaking, etc. at times but it certainly doesn't hold my attention.

I became a 'passionate fan' in '76 when a pal took me to Brands for my inaugural experience of F1 to witness the Hunt/Lauda clash. Absolutely hooked after that and living in MK I then spent the next 15-years or so at Silverstone attending test-sessions, practice and the 3 GP days.

You could get down the pit lane then, sometimes got thrown out but came straight back in again. Consequently I took so many pics/colour-slides and have a great number of autographed programmes and Autocourse annuals from those days. Got the James Hunt book signed by everyone on the grid including Stewart, Brabham, Team Bosses and even George harrison whilst he was sampling a portion of Marlboro' hospitality chips!

Lost interest around the Mansell era. Couldn't stand the accent! Happy days...

Grand Prix - exciting? - 72 dudes

Noise levels at F1 circuits weren't high to start with - not compared to the ex-F1 engines used by F3000 when the Birmingham Superprix used to run - on the inside of corners we were only about 3 feet away !

Are you kidding?! I took customers to Silverstone when I worked for Loctite and we sponsored McLaren Mercedes as was. This was 95/96.

It was deafening, even in the stands, as the cars went by. We issued everyone with a complimentary set of earplugs, and they were needed.

Exciting to be there, experience the atmosphere, follow the race, but appears nothing on TV. Much prefer to watch the BTTC.

Grand Prix - exciting? - HandCart

I simply hate, loathe, and detest those stupid diamond ear-things Hamilton insists on wearing.

Irrational maybe, but there it is.

Even trying to be generous, I still can’t see how they ‘gel’ with the rest of his head/face to make him look any ‘better’ anyway than he would if they weren’t there.

I always cheer for the plucky underdog. When Schumacher was winning everything, I favoured Button. When Vettel was winning everything, I favoured Hamilton. This year I favour Rosberg purely because of Hamilton’s horrible ear studs. Oh, and Bottas seems do quite well from time to time.

BTCC looks to be getting a bit better again lately, but it was really great in the late 90’s with the likes of Cleland, Menu, Biela, Tarquini…

Grand Prix - exciting? - 72 dudes

BTCC looks to be getting a bit better again lately, but it was really great in the late 90’s with the likes of Cleland, Menu, Biela, Tarquini…

Agreed!

As to the ear stud things, maybe Nicole Shirtlifter likes them?

Grand Prix - exciting? - Gibbo_Wirral

An interesting article about Formula E here:

www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/07/electric_racing_c.../