Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.8d, black smoke and lack of power - stevieboy308

hi all,

i've got a 98 fiesta with the 1.8 non turbo'd diesel engine, it's got the plastic inlet manifold, so no egr as i understand it.

when i accelerate there's a lack of power and a fair bit of black smoke. if you keep accelerating and get the revs up it clears, pulls pretty hard for what it is and the smoke disappears. with quick gear changes you can keep it pulling, but if you lift off it needs to be cleared again. i pulled the pipe off the air box to rule out the air filter and it's had a recent fuel filter.

i'm leaning towards a dodgy injector, but i'm not that clued up, any ideas?

cheers, steve

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.8d, black smoke and lack of power - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

A gummed-up injector can do that... Try a big slug of Wynns Diesel Eco-Max. It's a bit expensive but it has been known to work. Nothing ventured, etc.

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.8d, black smoke and lack of power - Peter.N.

Have you tried pulling off the air intak pipe at the manifold end? It sounds like air starvation, could be that the pipe is collapsing. Is this a purely mechanical pump like the Sierra or is it electronic?

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.8d, black smoke and lack of power - stevieboy308

thanks for the replies,

it turns out it does have an egr, that's now been blocked off and the car is running as it should

Ford Fiesta - fiesta 1.8d, black smoke and lack of power - Manatee

I've been a believer in Millers Diesel Power Plus/Eco Max since I had a Scorpio diesel that would get progressively smokier until I dosed it, which would clear it out for a while - must have been the injectors sooting up, and it clearly improved it.

That was an old-style diesel - modern high pressure injectors are different but I have continued to use it, even though people tell me it's snake oil.

A friend of mine, no longer with us unfortunately, was a serious fuels expert who worked as a consultant on petrol and diesel standards. He believed there were clear benefits, in terms of reducing unwanted deposits, from the GTL super-diesel fuels and said the Millers went a long way towards the same benefit at much lower cost, so I have used it at every fill since then.