Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - Nazdanpabs

We'll be back in the UK as a family from August until Feb 2015, and have £3-4k to spend on a used car that we'll want to sell again in February when we head back overseas. We'll do mostly city driving with a few motorway trips, and need something that can take 3 child seats across the back (don't mind if it's a bit squeezed).

What would you recommend that won't lose too much over 6-7 months in depreciation, or cost too much to run? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - AlexT

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20140618512...p

Ford Galaxy- 'tis biggggg!!! Good for going all over the place, and children will not be squeezed! But then again parking it will be a burden, if you have difficulties finding a space a vw golf would be better!

Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - mss1tw

Is it worth asking what deal a hire firm can do you long term hire for?

No inspecting/test driving, selling, insurance, breakdown (New car please if it does), servicing..........

Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - oldtoffee

Having owned and run one as a family car I'd consider spending half your budget on an old model Citroen Picasso, probably petrol but the old 2.0HDi is sound if you find a cared for one. Pleanty of space, comfy for everyone, 3 proper rear seats and a good boot.

Edited by oldtoffee on 02/07/2014 at 22:39

Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - gordonbennet

I'm of the similar mind as oldtoffee, but i'm a cheapskate and he's not short of a bob or two..;)

You'll be buying at a high price in good weather and selling at a time when nobody but the brave ventures out to buy a car.

I'd spend no more than £1000 on a luxobarge with a full MOT.

Something comfy like a Volvo S80 or Hyundai XG30, or if large enough Sonata/Magentis, the Korean stuff will likely be much lower mileage and better value, models before the marques became fashionable.

Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - Happy Blue!

I agree with mss1tw. Some rental companies will do decent long term deals (30 days +). The beauty is no reliability hassles, not worrying about selling the car before you leave and no other costs apart from fuel.

Worthwhile emailing companies near to where you will be living or arriving/departing.

Ford Focus - Best used car to buy for £3-4k & sell next Feb? - mss1tw

I agree with mss1tw. Some rental companies will do decent long term deals (30 days +). The beauty is no reliability hassles, not worrying about selling the car before you leave and no other costs apart from fuel.

Worthwhile emailing companies near to where you will be living or arriving/departing.

Someone I know has had the same 2006 plate Berlingo from Kendall since, well, it was new I guess. They offered him a new one but he doesn't want a diesel. It's probably the only one left on the fleet now, and both him and the hire firm have probably done well out of it all things considered!