Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - Spatacus

Hi,

I just happened to check my oil levels at the petrol station and to my surprise there was no oil showing on the dipping stick, i tried a couple of times but still nothing showing.I turned on the engine and there was oil on the dipping stick now.

There's no oil warning light showing on my dashboard.Has anyone experienced this before?

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - slkfanboy

It what often happens. The oil warning light will come on shortly after you have broken your engine, because they are set at very low warning levels. Many car a a low oil warning , but if that fails there is no fault displayed.

So aways check your oil.

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - alan1302

I do hope you put some oil in the engine at the same time

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - Ben79

Your oil level is below miniumum.

When you started the engine it causes oil to splash around and then it appeared on the dipstick.

You should allow the oil to settle for 10 minutes before using the dipstick.

I'd urgently check the level and put the correct grade oil in (there's many different oils! A motor parts store can advise the correct oil to use).

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - Wackyracer

I think the OP needs to do some reading here www.checkyouroil.co.uk/

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - AlexT

You should wait for the oil to settle/drain for about 10-15 minutes, and it's better if you don't check when the engine's not hot.

Edited by AlexT on 01/07/2014 at 18:24

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - skidpan

You should wait for the oil to settle/drain for about 10-15 minutes, and it's better if you don't check when the engine's not hot.

You should read the handbook to check the correct proceedure.

On both our cars (Kia and Seat) the proceedure is the same. Check after a drive but let the car stand for 5 - 10 minutes on level ground.

If you filled it when the engine was cold it wouild be overfull when hot which can cause damage.

As I said, read the hadbook.

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - oldtoffee

Friend of mine back in the 70s filled his Hillman Imp's oil right up to where he could see it - the neck of the oil filler. Predictable result! For a stupid bloke he did quite well and went on to become a senior partner in a large accountancy firm and has several very lucrative non execs.

Edited by oldtoffee on 01/07/2014 at 22:32

Toyota Corolla Verso - Oil advise - Wackyracer

Friend of mine back in the 70s filled his Hillman Imp's oil right up to where he could see it - the neck of the oil filler. Predictable result! For a stupid bloke he did quite well and went on to become a senior partner in a large accountancy firm and has several very lucrative non execs.

Someone I know did it to a Mini, I only took notice when he said he had put 4.5 gallons in it and since then it was leaking oil everywhere.