Low Energy Bulbs - daveyjp
According to the pack an 11w Philips low energy bulb should last about 10,000 hours. We have such a bulb in our bathroom which will be on for no more than an hour a day.

I have just had to replace it. Last time I did so I wrote the date on the bulb, 22 June 2013. So this bulb has lasted fewer than 400 hours.

We have had low energy bulbs for years and the first Ikea ones we bought are 15 years old and just starting to fail.

One letter to Philips to be sent.
Low Energy Bulbs - RobJP

Bathroom : high humidity area. Low energy bulbs contain electronics in the base. The two don't exactly go well together.

Low Energy Bulbs - daveyjp
Do Ikea bulbs not contain electronics?
Low Energy Bulbs - bathtub tom

I had the same problem with low energy bulbs years ago. I stopped buying them and reverted to incandescent.

I've now started fitting low energy again and I write the date on them. They seem to be lasting longer than they did, although one I bought from Wilkinsons only lasted a few minutes - they exchanged it.

Edited by bathtub tom on 28/06/2014 at 21:02

Low Energy Bulbs - RobJP
Do Ikea bulbs not contain electronics?

Ha. Hahahahahaha. With wit like that, maybe you should be on the stage.

The simple fact is that some electronics will cope better than others. A unit that's slightly tighter built (and the outer casings on these things are moulded plastics, so have tolerances) will hold out water better than another unit, which might end up pooling water. And another one might be so slack that it lets in moisture, but expels it just as efficiently.

In addition, Ikea don't actually make their own bulbs, it might just surprise you to learn. They're bought in, from whoever is doing the lowest bulk wholesale price at the time. So it could be Phillips, or Osram, or even one of the big chinese manufacturers like Opple.

Low Energy Bulbs - AlexT

Forget about the energy saving bulbs with neon gas and stuff, get Led ones like the picture below. www.proidea.ro/electromagnetica-sa-228562/becuri-l...g

They changed all the bulbs where I work, and it's been a good few months and none of them failed yet. We got the more expensive ones, about 10 quid each, made în românia, they are supposed to last 50000 hours.

Low Energy Bulbs - concrete

I agree that LED are excellent in the right place. Wouldn't want them in my lounge but most other places they are fine and very bright too.

Try this website www.beamled.com and see what they offer. LED lights on a roll. Just cut off a strip, insert the connectors and bingo. 1 watt but bright as anything, ideal for under cupboards, kickboards etc.

Cheers

Concrete

Low Energy Bulbs - Bolt

I`ve been using LED bulbs for a couple of years now and only had problems with the chinese bulbs,they dont last more than around 6 months but are on in winter about 6 to 8 hours a day,they dont blow, burn out, they just dim to about 1/3 original light but because they`re so cheap I bought 12 at £12

They save a lot of electric compared to even the low energy bulbs but I could not get on with the light they produced,not looked back since using LED and as mentioned the strip light led is really bright for 5 mtr length, just stick in place and its done