chrysler voyager grand limited 2003 2.5l diesel - engine cooling fan current - kennymcd
Due to a problem with my radiator cooling fans not working, I have cut the cables to them and hard wired them through a switch and 2 relays (one 40A relay for each fan) On testing the fans with my ammeter I find that each fan is taking about 25A - 30A to work. Is this normal?
chrysler voyager grand limited 2003 2.5l diesel - engine cooling fan current - Manatee

That sounds just about feasible to me if they are biggish fans. Each motor would need to be 300W-360W to account for that current.

What size fuse are they on normally?

It sounds a lot compared with the typical alternator output but bear in mind they aren't meant to run continuously. The motors are possibly only rated for intermittent use too.

Just reasoning - I make no pretence of being an auto-electrician.

chrysler voyager grand limited 2003 2.5l diesel - engine cooling fan current - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds about right to me.However what you need to remember is they are now working full steam,which under normal operation on the car,they would be working at variable speed according to load/heat requirement.I suspect the fan control module is faulty.fairly common failure on these.

chrysler voyager grand limited 2003 2.5l diesel - engine cooling fan current - Peter.N.

There is a lot of high current demand equipment on modern cars as everything seems to be going electric, the auxiluary heaters on some diesels like the C5 must draw around 100 amps and alternator output can be much greater than that.

Edited by Peter.N. on 21/06/2014 at 10:55