HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - Steveieb

In response to a reader asking why he always ended up with streaks after washing his car by hand, HJ recommeded waiting until it rained to do the job. Thus using pure rain water.

Tried the suggestion yesterday using water from a water but and the results are fantastic.

I added Aldi car shapoo costing 99 p for 2.5 ltr to the rain water rinsed off and dried with a car cloth from Aldi and the car looks better than it ever has.

Highly recommend you give it a try

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - Manatee

Doesn't matter what you wash it with, it's the rinsing. A few gallons of rainwater from the butt via a watering can is what I use if I'm not planning to dry it off.

If I still lived in Huddersfield and used the supersoft reservoir water I could just use the hosepipe.

First world problem I guess. It will be a while before the charities are appealing for money to provide pure car washing water in sub-Saharan Africa.

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - galileo

Doesn't matter what you wash it with, it's the rinsing. A few gallons of rainwater from the butt via a watering can is what I use if I'm not planning to dry it off.

If I still lived in Huddersfield and used the supersoft reservoir water I could just use the hosepipe.

Unfortunately, due to Elf and Safety fanatics (or possibly the EU?) some years ago Yorkshire water started adding hardeners to the water in Huddersfield. Panic about how some houses still had lead pipes which the really soft water could dissolve and poison people. Same fanatics who destroyed spring-fed stone water troughs beside country roads round here, I'm sure.

This country is *******ed due to mindless bureaucratic interference and nanny-statism.

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - alan1302

As long as you dry the car off before the water has dried natrually you'll be streak free.

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - Wackyracer

What about if you use Demon shine? Does that stop it being streaky?

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - alan1302

What about if you use Demon shine? Does that stop it being streaky?

When you use Demon Shine you dry the car as you go so there should not be any streaks - nothing to do witht he product itself though.

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - Manatee

ditto with Autoglym Express Wax which i used today after washing the old MX5 in the sun. If you dry it off there are no stains anyway. Just squirt the wax onto the wet car, wipe off and buff after with an old towel. 45 minutes start to finish, at the most.

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - FP

A squirt or two of rinse-aid (as used in dishwashers) in the rinsing water eliminates most of the streaks after drying. A quick wipe with a shammy on any near-horizontal surfaces (bonnet, roof) gets rid of any obvious remaining ones.

HJ s recommendation for Hand car wash - Hamsafar

A lot of streaks appear when the shampoo dries on the car and you just rinse without drying (thus wiping of the streaks under the water).

The shampoo often also contain sodium laurel sulphate thickeners that are not useful but leave unsightly marks.

Edited by Hamsafar on 20/06/2014 at 23:05