Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - ziggy176

Hi Trading in my Honda Jazz and one dealer took car for a test drive and looked over the car and made me a good offer. We have agreed to buy new car but the salesman has told me that prior to picking up the new car his boss will have a second test drive of the car to be traded in . What happens if just before we do the deal he finds fault and devalues the trade in car. Haven't we made a contract and shouldn't it stand other than for obvious damage etc.?

Ziggy

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - leaseman

I've asked around everyone I know ziggy, and nobody else was there, seemingly.

Did you sign a contract? Do you have a copy of it? Is it signed by the dealer?

If the contract was one of a verbal nature, then anything that could be construed as a caveat would form part of that contract- and the salesman's comment regarding re-evaluation of the part exchange would be classed as such.

Having said that, what is the lead time for delivery of the new car to you?

After inspection ot the trade in car a couple of days ago the salesman gave me a ball park figure Btn £2000 and £2500 depending on purchase price of new car. Went in today and picked a car to buy and then went into the office to sort out the exact figure for trade in. He said £2400 which we agreed was fair. Whilst doing the paperwork he asked if we had brought the car to be traded in to the site. We hadn't, it was arranged to pick up new car Monday and he said about his manager having a second test then. Seems a bit odd. What happens if manager picks up on a fault the salesperson missed after we agreed price. We have vehicle order form completed by saleman and signed by ourselves. It states £2400 p/e allowance.

Ziggy

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - scot22

I am not sure but I think the vehicle order form is simply that and not a binding contract. No money has been exchanged. If the dealer would want to deviate from from what you believe to be the offer would you want to buy a car from them ? There are lots of people trying to sell cars !

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - Manatee

I should think the order form is in fact a contract - the one I have in front of me is.

If that is the case here, then the answer is to read it.

The one I have is in the form of an offer from the dealer, and an acceptance by the customer - so if it is properly completed it should have been signed by both.

Inter alia it also says (I have paraphrased) -

The dealer undertakes to supply the new vehicle on the terms stated (with the proviso that if they cannot supply then you can give them 7 days notice to do so and cancel if they do not).

The buyer undertakes to deliver the part exchange in the consition in which it was examined, allowing for fair wear and tear that may have occurred in the meantime.

If the buyer fails to comply with the conditions relating to the p/ex, then the dealer will not be obliged to accept it and the buyer will have to pay the full price.

etc. etc.

In practice, I would think that the worst that is likely to happen if the manager is only prepared to allow a lower figure is that the salesman would get a kick up the fundament, and you would be given the option of cancelling.

But it depends on the contract, and potentially the attitude of the other party.

Note that I am not a proper lawyer, but I do read contracts.

Thanks for all the replies. Form not signed by salesman. I will read fully T&C but guess will have to wait and see on Monday.

Ziggy

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - Manatee

There may of course be no problem at all. But decide in advance how you will respond if there is any attempt to "sell" you into accepting a lower p/ex .

I agree with your posts Manatee. It does depend on the document and if it refers to offer and acceptance then a contract can be made. However, I was interpreting it simply as an order form for the car.

As you rightly say there may not be a problem, but it is advisable to have prepared a response.

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - leaseman

Simple answer ziggy: If they offer you a lower price for your part exchange, demand the same difference, but upwards!

Two can play at brinksmanship and you are in the pound seats when you get up and start to walk out!

Like it. Perhaps the forum could add a like button.

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - Simon

If they start trying to pull a fast one with the PX price on Monday, I'd just get up and walk away too out of principle!

Trade in value, can it be revalued? - car valuation - skidpan

Several years ago I ordered a new car. The expected delivery was 3 months and to ensure I did not get a nasty surprise on delivery I insisted on a fixed price to swap price regardless of the car arriving early or late. The salesman said that he could not do that but when I siad it was either that or I buy from someone who could he changed his mind. The order was written out with a note confirming that this was a fixed price and both myself and the salesman signed it.

About 3 months later I got a call saying the car had arrived, all they needed to do was look at my car so they could giove me the final price. I explained what had been agreed with the salesman and they basically said sorry, the salesman had left and its a new deal now. I explained I had a signed order confirming the details and they said they had a signed order where the wording had been lined out, obviously after I had left the showroom.

Anyhow, I went down to the garage and confronted the sales manager. He fetched the garage owner and we sat for almost 4 hours discussing it. I lost the will to live and pointed out to them that I had a copy of the oder as I signed it, they had a copy that had been changed (tampered with?) after I signed it, if they wanted to present that as evidence in court so be it.

Go my new car 2 days later at the price agreed with cheap finance as well.

When the wife bought her last car the dealer simply gave us a price to swap and confirmed that it would be the price we paid if the car was early or late. The salesman said that was standard company policy. Delivery was quoted as 12 to 16 weeks, car came at the end of week 12. Simply paid price agreed. Exactly how a garage should treat customers.