Anti government rant about water - AlexT

I'm just writing because I'm upset at the romanian government making the place I work for put a water meter for the water that comes from the well into the building. The well we dug and the pump we put there and we pay for the electricity the pomp consumes. And we have to put a water meter and pay the gov for the amount of water that we use.

It's not like the water we use does not evaporate and become rain again, we don't send it into space!!!

All our neighbors have wells, there is no government provided running water in the place my company is at. I don't know what they did with all the money everyone pays in tax, they did not even pave the road that leads to where I work.

Romania has very low wages and more expensive (second hand) cars than western europe and definatly more expensive than the uk, because you have to pay a huge tax when you bring a car from outside RO or you buy a romanian car that was not sold after 2007.

And now we have to pay for the water from the ground...

Anti government rant about water - concrete

Well, Romania; welcome to the 21st century. It seems you have soon learned that you can tax almost anything if you have the brass neck.

Sorry Alex, I don't know what you expect from Government but belive me it shouldn't be a lot. We started this taxation merry-go-round and you can't blame other poorer countries jumping onto the band wagon. You can't fight city hall is a famous American saying and it's true. How do you fight the people who make the rules up? Either lower your expectations or get crafty and get around them. There is one other alternative though; move to a country that does not tax the living daylights out of everything. So move to .... erm ....erm.... Outer Mongolia is good at this time of year I am told.

Best of luck, cheers Concrete.

You are right, but they don't even bother building a road to where I work, we just put gravel on the ground to make a road. They should asphalt the streets, but they don't bother. One km of motorway costs 28 million euro, in the mountains and 23 million in normal terrain. We have extremly expensive roads... Apparently it should only cost 3.5 million on average. They are litteraly taxing us to death and using it for things that benefit them.

Another annoying thing is they don't bother acessing EU funds, they just use normal funds. There was a full year when nothing was built by the government with EU funds, not even a small strech of road. While Poland and other eastern EU countries are accesing loads of funds our guys don't bother touching them, apparently it's too much paperwork.

"Sorry Alex, I don't know what you expect from Government but belive me it shouldn't be a lot."

I expect them to build lots of roads and rails and stop bothering about trivial issues like the no of dogs in bucharest, and to invest a lot in the justice system. It takes months to get a court date and years to get a verdict. I think theese are minimum things a government should provide.

Edited by AlexT on 19/06/2014 at 08:35

Anti government rant about water - madf

Money obviously grows on trees. "I expect them to build lots of roads and rails and stop bothering about trivial issues like the no of dogs in bucharest, and to invest a lot in the justice system."..

You want new motorways but don''t want to pay for them..

Where did I say that? We already pay much higher VAT than the uk (24%), and LOTS of taxes, even on the water from my own well. We not only pay much higher taxes on cars than bulgaria, but we also have to pay first registration tax, which is HUGE, for any imported second hand cars, and any romanian cars pre 2007. Plus we have a vignette system (which the UK does not have). And to top it all, now they want to put a tax on the A1 and A2, on top of the tax you have to pay on the Saligny bridge which was finished in 1895. Bulgaria has much lower vat and taxes (and wages) and 620 km of motorway.

The tax on water thing just annoyed the hell out of me, I just don't know how they manage to spend so much money!

Edited by Avant on 22/06/2014 at 16:55

Anti government rant about water - alan1302

Why not just move to Bulgaria?

Bulgaria has other problems, altrough it is a beautifull country, spirits are cheaper than in RO while beer is the same price (roughly). they have better tourism and longer motorways (compared to land mass), but all my family is here, and their language is really complicated for us (romanian is closer to italian than any slavic language). I'm here, and going to stay here.

Anti government rant about water - concrete

"Sorry Alex, I don't know what you expect from Government but belive me it shouldn't be a lot."

I expect them to build lots of roads and rails and stop bothering about trivial issues like the no of dogs in bucharest, and to invest a lot in the justice system. It takes months to get a court date and years to get a verdict. I think theese are minimum things a government should provide.

Hello Alex, you answered your own question earlier. It is much easier to keep dogs off the streets than build roads. QED.

Some of the biggest lies in the world are seeping into Romanian government culture.

Example: Your cheque is in the post!

The latest is: Hello, I am here from the Government to help you!

Dream on. You can expect all you like but it never really happens like that.

Sorry to disillusion you but reality must be the order of the day. Move out.

Good luck. Concrete

"Example: Your cheque is in the post!"

You're right, it's impossible to get money from those guys, I know a guy who had a contract with local government, he delivered the goods, but it took them forever to pay him, nearly ran him in the ground financially. Plus he wrote them an invoice, so he had to pay VAT to central government (30 days limit), for the goods he sold but had not received payment for. so he was giving them money and goods, and not receiving payment. He got it eventually, but months later.

I don't have buisiness with government, and I don;t expect them to help me directly, I just want value for money as to what concerns taxes...