Best place to sell a private plate? - Rog_VW

I have a private plate on retention (T15SAN), where's the best place to sell it apart from eBay? Ideally I'd like to put it in a DVLA auction, but can only find out how to buy not how to sell at a DVLA auction...

Best place to sell a private plate? - leaseman

DVLA Auctions only sell their own plates.

I guess for your number, ebay would be favourite, unless you want to offer it via a press advertisement, which can be expensive.

Most of the major advertisers of plates will make you an offer, so you could start there for the price of a phone call or a free email!

Best place to sell a private plate? - Gibbo_Wirral

My current car came with an unwanted private plate of the previous owner.

If you contact the registration buying companies they'll give you two prices - one (the higher) as them acting as a broker to find you a buyer, and a second lower price to buy the plate off you.

Thanks, I looked at eBay and there was nothing on there apart from an X5 plate which sold for just over £100. I tried a couple of plate buying sites but the one which gave me the higher valuation (£1500) had some terms in the contract about me being responsible for charges if the plate sold elsewhere, which worried me.

Where did you sell you plate?
Best place to sell a private plate? - RobJP

The bit about 'charges if the plate is sold elsewhere' are there so that if you market the plate with a second company then the first company still get some fees paid if you sell it through the second company (if that makes sense)

I'm always dubious about these valuations though. For example, let's say you've got a plate that's REALLY worth £1k. I run a plate selling company. I tell you it's worth £1.5k, just to get you to sign that contract. A year later, someone offers £1k. You are now sick of the thing, so accept. I get my fee, my competitors don't.

You could just put it up for auction through ebay with a reasonable reserve (think how big the selling companies fees are, and what you'd end up with, then knock 10-20% off that for 'offers'), and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice and a very good point about the high valuation... I think that I'll try eBay as a fixed price with offers listing and see what happens...