Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - Firmbutfair

Following on from my posting about the Peugeot 307 'brushing past me' on the pavement at 30 mph on 19 March, my wife and I have recently been the victims of yet another example of the increasingly popular 'sport' of 'pavement surfing' carried out by drivers who are impatient and wish to avoid slowing down or stopping under momentary traffic congestion conditions. We were lucky to escape serious injury whilst walking back in the dark from our local supermarket at 10 pm on Monday 2 June. In response to a vehicle coming towards us, moving into the centre of the road to turn into Asquith Gardens on the Rayleigh Road in Thundersley, the driver of a silver Nissan Micra Reg No EF05 E?N, mounted the pavement, as we were walking back with bags of shopping from our local supermarket. He proceeded to drive around the nearside of the turning vehicle and drove towards us at 30 mph + with his two nearside wheels on the pavement . With only the street lamps for illumination and with at least one defective lights both to the front and to the rear of his car, the 'pavement surfer' narrowly avoided 'mowing us both down' on the narrow pavement as he swerved back into the road as soon as he had passed the turning vehicle. I cannot be certain of the reg plate details as his rear number plate lights were both 'out'. On this occasion I did not have my trusty camera with me so I was unable to pursue the rogue driver on foot and attempt to get a photo to support my report to the local police. However if their response is anything like the disinterest shown when I reported my previous daylight hours 'pavement surfing - near miss' - then I shall be very unhappy.

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - galileo

You seem to be particularly unfotunate in suffering these incidents, is it a common practice in your part of the world?

Or are these drivers trying to kill you through mistaking you for a member of a rival gang?

:-)

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - TedCrilly

Mr Angry from Purley!

Anyone else just had a flashback?

Mr Angry from Purley!

Were you thinking of Steve Wright's Radio 2 Mr Angry or Kenny Everett;'s bowler-hatted Mr Angry wearing stockings and suspenders?

Mr Angry from Purley!

It has just struck me that the OP's chosen name is how Prison Officer Mackay described himself in "Porridge". Significant?

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - Avant

Or Thunderer from Thundersley!

I agree - nothing excuses the dangerous driving by the Nissan driver - Micra-brain. But in view of this sort of thing happening, maybe pedestrians should wear light-coloured clothing or something fluorescent if walking at night - even on a pavement.

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - skidpan

Might be safer to walk in the road.

Or possibly use a car.

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - piggy

Is it just me,or does the sight of a Nissan Micra fill you with dread? Whenever I see one I try to get past or away from it as soon as possible. They seem to be driven by people that should never be allowed on the road(or pavement in this case). It`s interesting why certain types of drivers are attracted to some cars.

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - skidpan

Is it just me,or does the sight of a Nissan Micra fill you with dread? Whenever I see one I try to get past or away from it as soon as possible. They seem to be driven by people that should never be allowed on the road(or pavement in this case). It`s interesting why certain types of drivers are attracted to some cars.

You simply cannot beat a post that contains an outrageous generalisation like that.

What a total load of coblers.

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - thunderbird

Remember the old T Shirt slogan from the 70's

"Keep death off the roads - Drive on the pavement"

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - Cyd

Or Thunderer from Thundersley!

I agree - nothing excuses the dangerous driving by the Nissan driver - Micra-brain. But in view of this sort of thing happening, maybe pedestrians should wear light-coloured clothing or something fluorescent if walking at night - even on a pavement.

What? Like the Highway Code suggests in Rule 3?

Nissan Micra - Pavement Surfing - Yet Another Near Miss ! - slkfanboy

I would recommend by a reflective jacket and light. Maybe if you are aware of the issue don't walk there late at night.

I would also write to the council and ask them to raise the curb, I sure you local MP will support you in this.

Until then don't contine walking in a place you know to be dangerous.