what to buy! - pippic

Sorry another what do I buy question from a newby....

I've got £3k to spend. I have to have an automatic as I've got nerve damage in my left leg and clutch control leaves me in agony. I would also prefer something with a bit of ground clearance as I live on a mountain up a badly maintained road with a lot of overhanging trees - my old Meganne acted like a snow plough sometimes. But don't need a 4x4 as I just don't venture out in bad weather!

Diesel is out of the question as I don't do enough miles and I work from home so not that worried about super fuel economy either. With that sort of money I'm not a looks or brand snob either!

I love the Jeep Cherokee but my OH says I should stick with something sensible!! I

Any advice gratefully received - but I won't blame you if all goes wrong either!! thanks again Phillipa

what to buy! - RobJP

Although you say you don't particularly need 4x4, a Suzuki Jimny might not be a bad car for your usage.

They're all petrol (so unpopular on the second hand market, so low prices), you can get them with autoboxes, they are pretty good if you do need to go through snow, and they handle rough/steep ground amazingly well.

The biggest issue with them is that they haven't go a lot of room inside - though only yesterday I was sitting in the back of one that had 4 people and 2 whippets in. Wouldn't want to do a long journey like that though. Also, for the autos, roughly 30 mpg.

what to buy! - pippic

oooh good thought! I know someone with one who says what a fantastic car it is - so good they sold their Defender! Off to google...

what to buy! - catsdad
Have you discounted the Jeep. If you like them why not have a look on what is around? I know you don't need 4x4 but tough cars with good ground clearance often are 4x4 - how about a Subaru for example? I have no experience of them but they seem very popular with farmers and country types generally and a quick search on autotrader shows lots at your price, depending of course where you are. Also Octavias have some models with raised suspension and might be cheaper to buy and run than a Subaru. Such cars however may have been abused by people overestimating their off-road capacity so make appropriate checks of suspension, underside etc. Good luck with your search.
what to buy! - Happy Blue!

If you only drive a few miles, fuel economy is almost irrelevant. All the cars which meet your requirements are likely to be 4WD simply because they offer improved ground clearance. Insurance is more likely to be the bigger issue for cost.

One of the most comfortable cars I ever drove was the Mk2 Subaru Forester (2003 - 2008) I think. There are lots of automatic versions around and they came in 2.0 2.0T and 2.5T varieties. The seats were like armchairs; the driving position was just perfect.

Other obvious candidates are the Mitsubishi Pinin, Honda CRV, Toyota RVA4, all of which will be available in petro and automatic.

what to buy! - pippic

you know what.. I could get an 05 plate Jeep Cherokee in my budget with full service history.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?? Most AA men (met quite a few with my meganne) think the Jeeps are good, hardly ever get called out for them but say they can be expensive to repair if they do go..

But shall look at all those suggestions too. THANK YOU

what to buy! - Happy Blue!

If you want an agricultural behemoth then fine. Buy a Subaru for the same price and you get quality engineering, unsurpassed reliability and actually some comfort.

what to buy! - pippic

Thanks Happy Blue!

what to buy! - coopshere
"Anyone want to talk me out of it?? Most AA men (met quite a few with my meganne) think the Jeeps are good, hardly ever get called out for them but say they can be expensive to repair if they do go.."

Just about everything that goes wrong with 4x4 transmission will be expensive. Might be best to check in your area as to whether there are any good independent garages for the make you choose before deciding which to buy.
what to buy! - gordonbennet

I agree completely with HB, auto Forester (or Legacy Outback) would be perfect, indeed if you can afford the 24ish mpg of the fast H6 3 litre Outback you will never want another car, chain cam engine too.

what to buy! - grimep

Another Jimny vote - my brother and his Mrs live in rural Tuscany down a long steep track and have just got a new one. Its popular in rural Italy as a capable alternative to the Panda 4x4. Ignore the terrible UK motoring press reviews, they work in the favour of buyers.

The only real downsides reported by my brother so far are its pretty thirsty for a small car, and as you probably know there's very little space in the back. The upside is its a very capable "proper" 4x4 with low ratio gears that won't get stuck when most fashionable soft roader 4x4s would.

what to buy! - Avant

Go with Suzuki or Subaru depending on the size you need (the Forester is bigger than the Jimny without being outsize). The Jeep on the other hand is huge.

Also at your price level if you buy Japanese and petrol-powered, you're more likely to get something reliable.

what to buy! - pippic

thank you! that's great advice and there seems to be quite a lot in my price bracket. Got a very good garage nearby so will call to check if there are any makes they won't do! px