Toyota Yaris 1.0 - Brake replacement costs - mikem004

Took my 2002 Yaris in today for MOT + servicing.

Examination has revealed some brake problems.

Squeak from back turned out to be a leaking brake cylinder.

Front pads seriously worn.

Front discs corroded.

How much for this lot, do you think? Here is the list:

- MOT (50 quid)

- Oil + filter change

- Spark plugs

- Air filter

- Coolant

- Replace rear brake cylinder + replace brake fluid

- Replace both front brake pads

Comes to £390 quid!

And that doesn't include replacing the front brake discs, which are heavily corroded but only an MOT advisory.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 - Brake replacement costs - gordonbennet

Sounds a bit steep but if you used the man dealer then probably about right, are you sure that's all the list of parts.

Odd that you should have had new front pads fitted when the discs are heavily corroded (assume need renewing), presumably they are not corroded too badly and can service another set of pads before needing replacement.

Odd that you should have had new front pads fitted when the discs are heavily corroded (assume need renewing), presumably they are not corroded too badly and can service another set of pads before needing replacement.

Got new pads fitted so that I would pass the MOT.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 - Brake replacement costs - gordonbennet

Got new pads fitted so that I would pass the MOT.

You won't be able to fit new discs and use these pads once they've bedded in to well worn/corroded discs, you will need new pads again.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 - Brake replacement costs - coopshere
Sounds about right for a large dealer, did you get a quote before having the work carried out?
Sounds about right for a large dealer, did you get a quote before having the work carried out?

This is an independent garage!

One of those MOT-day phone calls where I had to make a decision on the spot.

Toyota Yaris 1.0 - Brake replacement costs - Cyd

IMO if the front discs were badly corroded enough to warrant an advisory, then they will almost certainly have been in need of replacement or soon will be. In that case fitting new pads was a false economy as you will be needing new set again when you have the brake discs done (which IMO you should if you've been advised - safety third!!).

Garage reckons discs should be OK for another 10k miles or so. In the event, it wasn't an MOT advisory. I must have got my signals crossed on the phone.

Still a hefty bill, though.