Fast cars - jamie745

This is probably nonsensical musing but I'll go with it anyway.

A few drives in the company Focus has reminded me how differently you need to drive to make a relatively slow car perform. In that, I can put my foot right to the floor and still control the car, as it takes a few moments to get going.

My daily car is the Jaguar S-Type 3.0 which is completely different and on Tuesday I forgot at first. Got back in the car to drive home and ended up tearing down the street at several mph, before I eased off. 'Steady' I said to myself. I'd gotten too used to needing to floor it throughout the day.

In the Jag, you can sit on the motorway at 60, put your foot halfway down and the front of the car will lift up as it pins you back and surge to 95mph within a few seconds. I honestly think planting foot into the carpet would be dangerous, and a woman at work said it scared the excriment out of her when she test drove a similar car a while ago. She's used to a 1.4 Astra.

I think drivers of 'ordinary' cars drive with a bit of brutality, especially if they drive a van.

Does anyone here 'struggle' with a fast car?

Fast cars - oldroverboy.

Fully agree, The cruze (still got it) an astra in drag, is mercifully slow, and avoids adding points to my licence.

I think I would stuggle with a fast car.

Fast cars - gordonbennet

It might be interesting for those who think their cars have good grip to disable the traction/stability/antiskid their reasonably fast car has, and then drive it how they do normally, in the wet especially.

Not suggesting anyone should do this, but disabling the ABS would soon bring some back to earth sharpish, might even reduce tailgating and leaving wet braking to the very last second.

My old MB has no driver aids other than ABS, its probably about the same performance as Jamie's Jag, lighter but older with slightly larger engine and similar power figures.

A couple of days after we first bought it i hit kickdown in the wet at about 60, the rear tyres both spun straight up and the back end stepped smartly out of line, quite shocking when it happened, didn't really expect it at that speed from something that hardly qualifies as high performance, the same car came (on special order) with a 400cc increase to 3.6 and, in saloon form only, with a 5 litre V8 running about 40% more power...oddly enough the 500's were built by Porshe for MB, but they did come with ASR.

Anyway, it was at the time shod on as new Firestones, which came off as soon as i could get proper replacements delivered.

Funny thing is, i don't actually want any driver aids on my cars, i hate the feeling of ''nothing can go wrong no matter how badly you drive'' that modern traction systems provide, it leads to complacency, a lack of respect for the vehicle's performance and to drive faster than one can control by their own skills, i enjoy controlling my own vehicles and they get driven with due respect.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/05/2014 at 07:26

Fast cars - craig-pd130

I get the same after driving my wife's 1.2 Corsa, which has a godawful throttle response. The mapping seems to be designed for first-time learner drivers, you have to use the throttle pedal as if you've stamping on a large cockroach to get any response.

So getting back into the Volvo which has twice as much horsepower, three times the torque and a sensitive throttle pedal makes it feel like I've had it remapped, until I recalibrate my right foot anyway :-)

Small-engined cars don't have to FEEL sluggish though. Our old mark 1 Punto 55 felt very lively despite the low bhp - a combination of short gearing and engine mapping which favoured the first half of the throttle's travel.

Fast cars - RickyBoy
Indeed. Our 1.2 64PS(?) petrol Polo has bags of spirit & low-end acceleration. So much so that we call it 'The Rocket'!

A very enjoyable drive for/when zipping around town.
Fast cars - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:....""I think drivers of 'ordinary' cars drive with a bit of brutality, especially if they drive a van.""

I've always driven 'ordinary' cars and I've never been brutal with them. Except the one and only time I drove a Citroen 2CV, but I'm not sure that even qualifies as a car!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/05/2014 at 12:36

Fast cars - corax

Does anyone here 'struggle' with a fast car?

I think it would depend what the car is.

My Forester feels like it could handle twice the amount of power being four wheel drive (even if the standard suspension wouldn't).

My old rear wheel drive cars (Opel Monza, SD1 V8) without any driver aids could be treacherous in the wet, but it taught me the limits and how to handle them.

I struggled with those, but it was my own fault because I purposely induced it :)

I still think you have to be careful with modern powerful rear wheel drive cars even with traction control because there are always times when it will be overcome and driver experience will count here.

There are many threads on the Pistonheads forum where people want to 'downsize' to a smaller less powerful car, because they have just as much fun trying to drive a low powered car fast, and remaining legal in the process.

Fast cars - Sofa Spud

If people enjoy working their cars hard, why not just add lots and lots of weight - sandbags etc. , then driving will be a challenge even at slow speeds!

Fast cars - HandCart

>>> There are many threads on the Pistonheads forum where people want to 'downsize' to a smaller less powerful car, because they have just as much fun trying to drive a low powered car fast, and remaining legal in the process.

Precisely why driving something like a McLaren 12C could perhaps be quite tedious a lot of the time on English roads, and why the Toyota GT86 was born and why that latest 660cc Caterham Seven has been lauded as possibly the most ‘fun’ version.

Likewise my 2CV had to be driven to the limit but was vice-free, and then getting back into my Morris Minor it initially felt like a Ferrari, AND on crossplies could readily go into oversteer on polished tarmac when merely turning right at a crossroads after setting off as the lights changed!

Great fun, but care needed on greasy autumnal roundabouts!

Fast cars - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:..""Great fun, but care needed on greasy autumnal roundabouts!""

Not as much fun as the Morris 1100 FWD saloon I had, which was on crossplies that didn't like the white lines along the road. Thankfully I never had to take it on a motorway.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/05/2014 at 18:11

Fast cars - Bobbin Threadbare

I thumped the gas on my MX5 when I first got it, and then wondered why my Mazda 6 wouldn't even move when I had to shift it to sell it, because I got used to the MX5's lovely fast response. It does depend on how well the car responds too, if it's smaller engined - I had a Honda Jazz as a courtesy car and found it mind-numbingly slow to respond but my mum's Mazda 2 is lively and responsive, even at 1.3L.

Fast cars - Happy Blue!

It is funny how different cars react differently to the throttle despite being of similar sizes and power. I owed a Fiat Uno with the 1.3 engine. When in for service I was given a 1.1 Uno as a courtesy car. It fairly scampered away at the lights and made my bigger engined more powerful car feel sluggish.

James of course points to people who are simply not used to the power. It all depends. My S-max is a large heavy car with just 140bhp but a decent amount of torque from the TDCi engine. My previous car was my beloved Subaru Outback with 3.0 petrol, 245bhp and less weight. Did I feel short changed when I lost my large power to weight ratio? No, barely noticed it. However, I have not yet made the reverse journey. Jamie - can I borrow your car????

Fast cars - Bromptonaut

It is funny how different cars react differently to the throttle despite being of similar sizes and power. I owed a Fiat Uno with the 1.3 engine. When in for service I was given a 1.1 Uno as a courtesy car. It fairly scampered away at the lights and made my bigger engined more powerful car feel sluggish.

Had same experience years ago. My own 1.6RS BX was in for a recall and they loaned me an example with the then new 1.4 TU series motor. Definitely quicker off the lights even if it eventually ran out of puff sooner.

In real world though neither was a match for a 1.9 XUD, even without a turbo.

Fast cars - Billsboy

I for one and probably most bdrivers adopt their driving style to the carb they drive.

With my Wife's 1.3 diesel, I tend to anticipate more. For example when approaching a corner and wanting to overtake the car in front, I initially back off and then start accelerating as the corner approaches and then boot it as you come out of the corner, you then have the momentum to overtake assuming the road is clear. If not, just back off again.

There is less need to adopt this style with my 2.0 petrol turbo because you can overtake safely on even short straights because you know that you have time to complete the procedure well before anything coming round the bend ahead will appear.

It is this manouvre that is contraversial because drivers who have not experienced this power, will see this as aggressive and dangerous.

Fast cars - jamie745

I can understand the thinking behind a low powered car enabling you to have legal fun. I'm not sure I'd call the S-Type 'fun.' Fun might not be the right word.

It's very easy to drive. Maybe too easy. It can do 120mph without breaking sweat and without it feeling like you're going that fast.

So I'm told.

Edited by jamie745 on 17/05/2014 at 00:35

Fast cars - oldroverboy.

It's very easy to drive. Maybe too easy. It can do 120mph without breaking sweat and without it feeling like you're going that fast.

So I'm told.

many years ago I drove from the outskirts of geneva to london in the evening in the same time it takes now with the tunnel and motoway all the way, in my Rover 827 vitesse. Frightening when i look back now, but fun at the time. no radars on the motorways in france then, and i certainly wasn't the fastest moving car on the road that night.

My driving abilities would no longer cope with it, but the hairiest car i ever had was the lotus eclat which could lose the back end at the drop of a hat on a damp road.

Fast cars - Avant

" I'm not sure I'd call the S-Type 'fun.' Fun might not be the right word."

It depends on your idea of 'fun'. If you enjoy wafting along in a relaxed manner, as I do and I think Jamie does, then why not call it fun? If you prefer extracting the last ounce of power and handling on a twisty B-road, then, say, a Lotus or an MX-5 will be fun.

Personally, although I'm no boy-racer, I like an engine that can enable you to do both, as the VAG TSI 2-litre does in my car. The BMW straight-six is another example.

Interesting thread - thanks for starting it, Jamie.

Edited by Avant on 17/05/2014 at 10:45

Fast cars - jamie745

I want travelling to be as easy as possible. Operating the vehicle should be possible when asleep. I can drive my car with one toe and one finger. No need to change gears, just set the climate control to it's default fridge setting and toodle.

Sometimes I have to drive a van and it's hard work. Don't like it.

The only other car I really want is a Range Rover, because then I can carry lots of stuff around as well.

Fast cars - coopshere

jamie745 said " Does anyone here 'struggle' with a fast car?"

Can't say I have ever struggled with a fast car but that is probably down to haveing been taught to drive them safely. That doesnt mean that I have'nt had a few hairy moments though, although they were always in rear wheel drive ones such as the Capri 2.8, Nissan 200SX and Porsche 911, and usually in the wet.

People can struggle just as much with low powered cars if they dont drive within their own and the cars capability.

Fast cars - SteveLee

Some cars feel fast even though they're not, modern turbo diesels feel quicker than they are thanks to the stacked together gears (to deal with the narrow TD powerbands) giving you slugs of thrust through the gears.

An S Type 3 litre isn't a fast car by any stretch of the imagination but the engine has excellent mid-range and as you say can motor along quite nicely on half throttle. Talking of fast Jags I remember being caught out one dewy morning on a bumpy a-road, overtaking another car in my XJR the car went into a full blown tank-slapper in a straight line, as the downshift unleashed a sudden ~400bhp and 400ft/lbs of torque catching the TC out - a change of underpants was required afterwards! I suspect as I’d left my house early in the morning and hardly touched the brakes up until the event, the rear brakes were probably stone cold – hence the TC’s inability to control the wheelspin.

Normally in such a powerful automatic in less than perfect conditions I’d manually select a lower gear on a lighter throttle and then ease on the accelerator, in this case I was being lazy and just prodded the accelerator, this goes to show the combination of an automatic transmission programmed to make use of all that supercharged torque and a reluctant kick-down can be quite dangerous, because when it does finally kick-down - your foot is now buried unleashing a lot of power combined with the sudden torque multiplier effect of dropping a gear or two and the engine dropping into its band of peak horsepower. No wonder it got out of shape.

I remember my little Honda CRX feeling fast as hell being a revvy roller-skate - even though most cars I’d owned over the last 15 years would eat it for breakfast whilst feeling slower.